Go Back   Digital Webbing Forums > Talent Engine > Creator Community

Old 06-19-2006, 06:26 PM   #1
SassMuffin

SassMuffin is on a distinguished road

Question Two Careers.. is it possible?

I'm currently headed toward a career in game development (modeling/texturing/animation), but I'd also like to try my hand at comics (pitching my series/one shots to indie publishers). Would you think it possible to pursue both at the same time? Or would you think I'd have to be completely dedicated to one or the other? Opinions please! Also, those who currently juggle comics on top of another job/career please share your experiences! Thanks!
SassMuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 06-19-2006, 06:37 PM   #2
jrod
the moose in the closet

jrod will become famous soon enoughjrod will become famous soon enough

Well.

I do about ten hours of chem/bio/radiological/nuclear defense planning during the day and edited a seven Harvey-nomination gathering, soon to be collected by Random House book in Elkís Run (and several other upstart projects coming soon to fine comic stores near you) and Iím now producing/editing/directing a 168-page anthology called Postcards by night. Not bragging, just saying you could (and should) work a day job while making great comics at night.

At least video games and comics are relatively close to each other.

The key is time management and learning to get by on 5-6 hours of sleep each night. And take days off. I donít work on comics between Thursday night and Sunday morning unless thereís a pressing deadline.
jrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 07:03 PM   #3
j giar
Has nothing to add.

j giar has much to be proud ofj giar has much to be proud ofj giar has much to be proud ofj giar has much to be proud ofj giar has much to be proud ofj giar has much to be proud ofj giar has much to be proud ofj giar has much to be proud ofj giar has much to be proud ofj giar has much to be proud ofj giar has much to be proud of

I look at my fulltime job as the financial backing for what I love to do. It pays my bills, supports my family and allows me the freedom to work on comics. As Jason said it's about time management, plain and simple. It can be done.
Panel continuity and storytelling should be the primary objective of all GOOD comic book art.
j giar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 07:26 PM   #4
aidirisuto

aidirisuto is on a distinguished road

It can definetly be done.
I work as a video game designer by day and nights and weekends i co-write and draw both a webcomic and am finished with 1 issue (of 3) for a book being published by Image. And I still have time with my wife and I get 8 hours of sleep a night. Or more. :P

It's all about time managment and enjoying it. You can't do all that if you do it be-grudgingly.

I say start small. Get the fulltime gig going, particularly if that is your first priority. I took 7 years off comics to gt my day job in animation set up. Now that I am relatively stable, I am back and doing comic for fun, on the side.

Not sure if that helps.

Old 06-19-2006, 07:53 PM   #5
D.J. Coffman
Is a Juggernaut

D.J. Coffman is just really niceD.J. Coffman is just really niceD.J. Coffman is just really niceD.J. Coffman is just really niceD.J. Coffman is just really niceD.J. Coffman is just really nice

Having a real career at ONE of those things as oppossed to two, is very difficult and can take a lot of time to master.

It's possible though. This could easily wind up in a discussion about what PROFESSIONAL or CAREER means--- It's likely a career cartoonist is making VERY little money. Same with some game developers. It's a crapshoot generally.
D.J. Coffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 08:16 PM   #6
Scott Story
www.johnnysaturn.com

Scott Story has disabled reputation

My view is that is possible to have two careers like that when you are young, like in your twenties, but it gets harder with each decade that follows. I'm in my 40's, and I'm sticking with art. My hobby is music, and for fun I am recording an album, but it is a hobby at this point. To be honest, I'm not sure how much longer I'll still be doing sequentials, beyond those I do for myself. I'm heading more and more for cover work and spot illustrations.
Scott Story is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 08:54 PM   #7
Mecha
Boob Wrangler

Mecha is a name known to allMecha is a name known to allMecha is a name known to allMecha is a name known to allMecha is a name known to allMecha is a name known to allMecha is a name known to allMecha is a name known to allMecha is a name known to allMecha is a name known to all

It can be hard to keep two careers going fulltime, but some people manage it. Just after a while it can be very tiring, especially if you don't take any time to relax and go fullspeed ahead in both jobs.

For truth, justice, and pie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mecha
See Jim I TOLD you, you can only lose it once!
Mecha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 08:58 PM   #8
Buckyrig
I Know Super Karate!

Buckyrig has disabled reputation

One word: Meth.
Buckyrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 01:02 AM   #9
Calloway
I haz cookiez an kool-aid

Calloway has much to be proud ofCalloway has much to be proud ofCalloway has much to be proud ofCalloway has much to be proud ofCalloway has much to be proud ofCalloway has much to be proud ofCalloway has much to be proud ofCalloway has much to be proud ofCalloway has much to be proud ofCalloway has much to be proud ofCalloway has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckyrig
One word: Meth.

word.
Calloway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 01:11 AM   #10
Icaruss
The Masked Avenger

Icaruss is on a distinguished road

It's not only possible, but necessary. Like people say: don't quit your dayjob. At least not for a while.
Icaruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 08:26 AM   #11
Ingrid K. V. Hardy
Owner of a Rabid Horse

Ingrid K. V. Hardy has a brilliant futureIngrid K. V. Hardy has a brilliant futureIngrid K. V. Hardy has a brilliant futureIngrid K. V. Hardy has a brilliant futureIngrid K. V. Hardy has a brilliant futureIngrid K. V. Hardy has a brilliant futureIngrid K. V. Hardy has a brilliant futureIngrid K. V. Hardy has a brilliant futureIngrid K. V. Hardy has a brilliant futureIngrid K. V. Hardy has a brilliant futureIngrid K. V. Hardy has a brilliant future

Perhaps my response doesn't belong here, in which case just ignore it. Time management is essential when you work in more than one career... my illustration career is part time - 20 hrs a week - balanced with managing two very active older kids and all that home stuff that we never get paid for but should, and part time day jobs in my old horse career. My illustration career is mainly spot illustrations for books and I'm getting more and more of that, and some specialized medieval illumination gigs, but am also working on a sequential career - a project called High Stakes - that I'm really excited about. Just to give you even more usless info, my signifigant other is a full time musician and a full time translator. Time management and temper control are everyday words in this household.

Over 50 and still nifty.
Ingrid K. V. Hardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 03:37 PM   #12
scottr

scottr is on a distinguished road

It's possible. I think the more important question is whether you can call a part time side job a 'career' or not. I wrote about this very thing last week on my blog if anyone cares to take a peek.

Ultimately I think it's a matter of deciding if you can honestly call a part-time side job that doesn't meet the minimum national average income requirements a 'career'...
Old 06-20-2006, 04:09 PM   #13
SassMuffin

SassMuffin is on a distinguished road

Hey everyone, thanks for the valuable advice!

I imagine my gaming career would more along the lines have me as a full timer, 5 days a week, 9 to 5 kind of thing.

Seeing as both industries (gaming and comics) are typically not the easiest industries to break into, seems like I'll have a lot on my plate. But all of this advice has been very inspiring so thanks again for sharing!
SassMuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 04:46 PM   #14
T.J. May
Writer/SUMM Publications

T.J. May is a glorious beacon of lightT.J. May is a glorious beacon of lightT.J. May is a glorious beacon of lightT.J. May is a glorious beacon of lightT.J. May is a glorious beacon of lightT.J. May is a glorious beacon of lightT.J. May is a glorious beacon of light

One might say I have three jobs, like many other mom's and dad's here. From 5am to 3pm I play Mister mOm to Cooper. My wife comes home and I go to work, to play Big Brother/Surrogate Dad to 3 young men with severe disabilities. I do that for 16 hours on Monday, and 8 each T-Thurs. I manage the house and supervise 12 staff.

I write and conduct SUMM comic business when Cooper naps and on weekends. In between time with my wife, playing in my baseball league, cleaning the house and visiting family.

My brother Jason (jimmycakes) has pretty much the same gigs except he works at blockbuster and minus the baseball. But he has two kids and surfs

Many sleepless nights and killer time management.
"[T.J. May's script] reminded me a bit of the kind of dark fable one might expect from Neil Gaiman...it definitely boasts that kind of strength."
--Don MacPherson (TheFourthRail.com)
www.tjmay.net
www.summ.net
T.J. May is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 06:45 PM   #15
Nick Pitarra
Illustrator Extraordinair

Nick Pitarra is a glorious beacon of lightNick Pitarra is a glorious beacon of lightNick Pitarra is a glorious beacon of lightNick Pitarra is a glorious beacon of lightNick Pitarra is a glorious beacon of lightNick Pitarra is a glorious beacon of lightNick Pitarra is a glorious beacon of light

I think you absolutely have to have a day job. I'm a junior at the university of houston-art education major. My goal is to pass out crayons by day and draw by night~fulltime in the summer. If you really think about it.... whats the most you could hope for in comics?...probally to be a top ten creator working for one of the big 2 companys. But you have to ask yourself how long that will last. You'd be working free lance with no benefits what so ever...unless your wife has a great job where she could cover you and your entire family...its almost to stay on the top ten...even worse if your just a middle of the road artist...then you're really risking it...you have some Marvel and DC work....allot of indy stuff. Pull a resume from a guy like that who was doing comics ten or twelve years ago...how many of those guys are still doing it. Keep a day job and fund your pation. years ago i was worried about taking a fulltime job ...going to school at night...I was worried I was hurting my chances/giving up on comics. My mom told that having a solid job would enable me to acheive things/do things with comics that i haven't been able to do. Fund trips to cons...get better art equipment...fund your own comics. she was right and i can say I'm a more responsible artist and person for taking the day job. Thats just my 2 cents.

~nick
Nick Pitarra is offline   Reply With Quote