Go Back   Digital Webbing Forums > Talent Engine > Creator Community

Old 06-21-2006, 05:07 PM   #1
jrod
the moose in the closet

jrod will become famous soon enoughjrod will become famous soon enough

A different kind of pitch

Someone who I very much would like to impress wanted me to send him some information on POSTCARDS so he can show some people who Iíd also like to impress. It motivated me to put a pitch together but instead of doing the boring Ďole one-page with a couple of pages of art I put together a 28-page monster but designed in such a way so that it doesnít feel like a 28 page monster (you'll see).

I just handed in my column for Pop Culture Shock on the pitch (itíll run tomorrow) but I kind of wanted to share it with the DW folk in case thereís anything here that you all could use or want to discuss.

Hereís the link, Iím only sharing 11 of the pages publicly for now.

So, basically, some things I did differently:

1) A cover page that tries to capture the feel of the book
2) Not a lot of copy on each page so that if someone decides to read a particular page (and the large headings let them know precisely what the page is about) it would take them two minutes tops
3) Copy is transcribed on the back of postcards, keeping consistent with the feel of the book
4) Putting editor introductions up front since Iím the main contact for the book and itís important that people know Iíve put some other comics together
5) Not confining art samples to finished pages only. Gives some insight into the process and also gives people an idea of what potential back-matter can be.
6) Bios are skewed towards bookstore results and awards. Tom Beland did those wonderful Marvel romance books and I donít even mention them, True Story Swear to God is where itís at. Phil Hester is a great illustrator but I close his bio with Oversight because itís the perfect book to tie to his involvement with Postcards
7) Little blurbs on each story and the actual postcard copy

I repeated the formula for every story and spaced creators out so that each story without art turned in was sandwiched between stories with art turned in.

I spiral-binded and overnighted the 28-pager Saturday and got tremendous feedback on Tuesday which makes me dance quite a bit. So, I think the extra effort helped and not trying to confine the pitch to a page or two allowed it to really breathe.

Hope thereís something there for you all. And check out the article tomorrow.
jrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 06-21-2006, 05:37 PM   #2
Ron Phillips
Are you terminal?

Ron Phillips has a reputation beyond reputeRon Phillips has a reputation beyond reputeRon Phillips has a reputation beyond reputeRon Phillips has a reputation beyond reputeRon Phillips has a reputation beyond reputeRon Phillips has a reputation beyond reputeRon Phillips has a reputation beyond reputeRon Phillips has a reputation beyond reputeRon Phillips has a reputation beyond reputeRon Phillips has a reputation beyond reputeRon Phillips has a reputation beyond repute

J that's really impressive. If you handed me that as a preview book, I'd most likely snag up the publication when it came out.

Impressive detail.

Buy Ron's Books - on Amazon Kindle

Flash Fiction Friday - A community writing project

Shotgun Honey - a blast of fiction to blow your mind

Home | Twitter | Facebook |MySpace
Ron Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 06:07 PM   #3
jrod
the moose in the closet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Phillips
J that's really impressive. If you handed me that as a preview book, I'd most likely snag up the publication when it came out.

Impressive detail.
Thanks, Ron. I'm in the process of trying to make a really snazzy brochure for the not-as-big fish.
Old 06-21-2006, 07:31 PM   #4
j giar
Has nothing to add.

j giar has much to be proud ofj giar has much to be proud ofj giar has much to be proud ofj giar has much to be proud ofj giar has much to be proud ofj giar has much to be proud ofj giar has much to be proud ofj giar has much to be proud ofj giar has much to be proud ofj giar has much to be proud ofj giar has much to be proud of

Jason, Wow. What an amazing way to present and pitch a project as massive as this. You have alot to be proud of.
Panel continuity and storytelling should be the primary objective of all GOOD comic book art.
j giar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 10:33 PM   #5
jrod
the moose in the closet

Quote:
Originally Posted by j giar
Jason, Wow. What an amazing way to present and pitch a project as massive as this. You have alot to be proud of.
Thanks - there were a couple of misfires. At first I tried to actually put the pitch on postcards and post the cards into a postcard album - I quickly realized I was nuts and the art pages made the whole thing look stupid.

The cover was also supposed to be a transparency after I moved away from the album idea but for some reason I thought only the white in the POSTCARD logo would be see through. Again, it looked really bad. So I had to recrop the postcards for the high-res version of the pitch to take out the white borders.

The only downfall is cost, thatís why I canít mass-produce these. I made six at work (went in at 11PM on a Friday to print/bind them Ė one for me and five to be sent out) but I canít do that for too many copies. Thatís why thisíll be for the large retailers/distributors/wholesalers and Iíll make cheaper brochures for the smaller guys.

I plan on bringing about ten of these and a hundred brochures to SDCC.
Old 06-22-2006, 03:06 PM   #6
ehobbs

ehobbs is on a distinguished road

Jason,

This is great stuff.

It's just enough to let readers, retailers, distributors etc. know that POSTCARDS is more than just another anthology. It's something special.

Anyone looking to pitch their work should grab pencil and paper and take some notes.

Well done, man.
Old 06-22-2006, 03:36 PM   #7
Kep!
Mad Genius

Location: Ok, maybe just a little ticked off, not actually mad.
Kep! has much to be proud ofKep! has much to be proud ofKep! has much to be proud ofKep! has much to be proud ofKep! has much to be proud ofKep! has much to be proud ofKep! has much to be proud ofKep! has much to be proud ofKep! has much to be proud ofKep! has much to be proud ofKep! has much to be proud of

I forgot to comment- I love the look and feel of this. My only (MINOR!!!) tweak would have been to make the writing on the post cards look like writing on the postcards...or at least oriented to the position of them. But that's REALLY minor.
Kep! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 05:53 PM   #8
jrod
the moose in the closet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kep!
I forgot to comment- I love the look and feel of this. My only (MINOR!!!) tweak would have been to make the writing on the post cards look like writing on the postcards...or at least oriented to the position of them. But that's REALLY minor.
Thanks, Kep. If I had time I wanted to do that, actually. My design skills are along the lines of taking pictures, prepping them on photoshop and laying them out in illustrator - I need to somehow create a good handwriting font.

Any suggestions?

(and thanks to you, too, Eric - I know I owe you an email, getting to it.)
Old 06-22-2006, 06:14 PM   #9
T.J. May
Writer/SUMM Publications

T.J. May is a glorious beacon of lightT.J. May is a glorious beacon of lightT.J. May is a glorious beacon of lightT.J. May is a glorious beacon of lightT.J. May is a glorious beacon of lightT.J. May is a glorious beacon of lightT.J. May is a glorious beacon of light

Hey,

Looks really nice. We've done something similar with a couple projects we'd like to shop around SDCC this year. We also put a catalog together of all our past projects, ones we are working on and a couple ideas for down the road. Each project gest a page preview with some sample art. It's mostly geared to peak the interest of potential licenses.

Nice work J.

T
"[T.J. May's script] reminded me a bit of the kind of dark fable one might expect from Neil Gaiman...it definitely boasts that kind of strength."
--Don MacPherson (TheFourthRail.com)
www.tjmay.net
www.summ.net
T.J. May is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 06:38 PM   #10
ehobbs

ehobbs is on a distinguished road

I'm kind of interested to know who will get the ten you bring to San Diego. Anyone specific you have in mind already?
Old 06-22-2006, 06:50 PM   #11
jrod
the moose in the closet

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehobbs
I'm kind of interested to know who will get the ten you bring to San Diego. Anyone specific you have in mind already?
I think that depends on what happens over the next couple of weeks. There's still a chance I may need two more artists come San Diego. I've just been really picky with these last two stories and need a larger pool to choose from.

As far as who else - I want to start setting myself up as editor/producer instead of just editor. There're a couple of books I'm editing now that I'd like to be able to call someone up and say, "I got this book you should look at." So there's a couple of publishers I'm setting up meetings with and I'll have the pitches along in case they want a take-me-home (or at least to mail as a follow-up).

And then there's POSTCARDS volume two and three and I need to stack it with the same caliber people (plus some friends I had to bump from this one) and that's kind of a tall order (Iím still holding some surprises on this volume). So Iím trying to get some time in with some potential headliners for the next volumes.

I need to see what big press contacts will be there, too, non-comics.

The brochures will be for other potential collaborators, some smaller publishers, and some smaller press and comic press.
Old 06-22-2006, 10:30 PM   #12
Kep!
Mad Genius

Kep! has much to be proud ofKep! has much to be proud ofKep! has much to be proud ofKep! has much to be proud ofKep! has much to be proud ofKep! has much to be proud ofKep! has much to be proud ofKep! has much to be proud ofKep! has much to be proud ofKep! has much to be proud ofKep! has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrod
Thanks, Kep. If I had time I wanted to do that, actually. My design skills are along the lines of taking pictures, prepping them on photoshop and laying them out in illustrator - I need to somehow create a good handwriting font.

Any suggestions?

(and thanks to you, too, Eric - I know I owe you an email, getting to it.)
Sure, I have LOTS of suggestions. HOWEVER, why create when you can use perfecftly good freeware ones that only a geek like me would recognize? www.dafont.com is chok full of them. If you can't find a few there, you're too picky.

Now, if you need one for the book, and you want to be wholly origional, that's something else...but for a pitch, you're golden.
Old 06-22-2006, 10:46 PM   #13
jrod
the moose in the closet

Quote:
Sure, I have LOTS of suggestions. HOWEVER, why create when you can use perfecftly good freeware ones that only a geek like me would recognize? www.dafont.com is chok full of them. If you can't find a few there, you're too picky.

Now, if you need one for the book, and you want to be wholly origional, that's something else...but for a pitch, you're golden.

Bookmarked.

For the book I went out of the way to get as many illustrators who are also good hand letterers as possible to make it sure it captures that written on the postcard feel. Jaco's doing the other stories.
Old 06-22-2006, 10:48 PM   #14
Kep!
Mad Genius

Excellent, Jaco's a fine choice. Best of luck!!!
Old 06-22-2006, 10:50 PM   #15
jrod
the moose in the closet

Quote:
Excellent, Jaco's a fine choice. Best of luck!!!
Yeah - I loved working with him on WToT and Elk's Run. He hates me, though - I micromanage too much.

It's a great relationship.