Go Back   Digital Webbing Forums > Talent Engine > Creator Community

Old 06-23-2006, 12:11 PM   #1
spyweb007

spyweb007 is on a distinguished road

How do you get back into the swing of things...

Hey there, I have one issue left to finish of my 4 issue series, it is scripted and I have the cover completed, in color. I am about half way through penciling the pages and still have to ink them, but I cannot seem to get this thing done.
I honestly haven't made progress in about a year. Now I did change jobs, and having to be into work early every morning has had some impact ( I used do stay up late wroking on things, but really can't do it with these hours), and my wife and I had ababy boy who is now 9 months old, but I am afraid that those are not the real reason I am lagging behind. I don't know, maybe I just got a little burnt out and needed a break, but I really want to finish this project so we can move ahead with it. So how do you get "re-focused" when everyday life gets in the way?
spyweb007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 06-23-2006, 12:15 PM   #2
Kep!
Mad Genius

Location: Ok, maybe just a little ticked off, not actually mad.
Kep! has much to be proud ofKep! has much to be proud ofKep! has much to be proud ofKep! has much to be proud ofKep! has much to be proud ofKep! has much to be proud ofKep! has much to be proud ofKep! has much to be proud ofKep! has much to be proud ofKep! has much to be proud ofKep! has much to be proud of

have you tried cocaine?
Kep! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 12:26 PM   #3
spyweb007

Nah, makes my inking al jittery.
Old 06-23-2006, 12:41 PM   #4
macclint
Old man Jedi

macclint is on a distinguished road

Just a suggestion, I've been drawing my webcomic Wandering Ones on my lunch hours for quite a while now. I only can do about two pages a week, but 2 pages is far better than no pages.
macclint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 07:08 PM   #5
shushubag

shushubag will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyweb007
Hey there, I have one issue left to finish of my 4 issue series, it is scripted and I have the cover completed, in color. I am about half way through penciling the pages and still have to ink them, but I cannot seem to get this thing done.
I honestly haven't made progress in about a year. Now I did change jobs, and having to be into work early every morning has had some impact ( I used do stay up late wroking on things, but really can't do it with these hours), and my wife and I had ababy boy who is now 9 months old, but I am afraid that those are not the real reason I am lagging behind. I don't know, maybe I just got a little burnt out and needed a break, but I really want to finish this project so we can move ahead with it. So how do you get "re-focused" when everyday life gets in the way?
I have pretty much the same problem. I just can't get back into the rhythm of things. I hate it. Sometimes I do have the time to do things but sometimes art is just a moody thing. If I try to force it I usuall don't like the way it comes out. On the other hand if I don't push it I'll never get it done.

It's just frustrating for me sometimes. I only have one day off and it usually is spoken for before I even get the day off. It's hard for me to juggle and force myself to get back into the book when I know I won't have alot of time to spend on it.
shushubag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 09:44 PM   #6
Scott Story
www.johnnysaturn.com

Scott Story has disabled reputation

I wish I had great advice, because this is always tough.

In some ways, I don't think self-discipline is the answer, because if you force yourself back into something that you are not into anymore it often looks like crap.

Still, a little self-discipline is better than no self-discipline. That, and a few false starts till you are back in the swing of it.
Scott Story is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 02:43 AM   #7
Nick Pitarra
Illustrator Extraordinair

Nick Pitarra is a glorious beacon of lightNick Pitarra is a glorious beacon of lightNick Pitarra is a glorious beacon of lightNick Pitarra is a glorious beacon of lightNick Pitarra is a glorious beacon of lightNick Pitarra is a glorious beacon of lightNick Pitarra is a glorious beacon of light

I'd say draw it...even if its bad/hurts to do so. It's kind of like starting a diet. It always starts the next day or the next coming monday...never at the moment your putting that burger in your face.

Just do it a little at a time...once you start seeing results (in this case production of your comic) then things will start rolling. That scince of accomplishment should atleast last a little while and help to get the ball rolling. Even the tiniest bit is infinitely more progressive than nothing...literally.Well maybe not literally.

Also, you might want to stop at the half way mark and start inking. It can be a nice change of pace and it's much easier to do at your lunch break than drawing...especially if you use microns.

Good luck to you,
nick
Nick Pitarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 10:02 AM   #8
spyweb007

Thanks for the advice guys. I probabply should bring pages to work, things have been slow lately and I have quite a bit of downtime, but I still wouldn't want to been seen working on pages when I'm on the clock if anyone walked by my office. I can always work during lunch like you suggested macclint, ( but I gets hungry! . I know I will finish it someday, I can't quit now after 3 issues and about a hundred pages of work is in the bag. I just need to decide that someday starts today, and get at it.
Old 06-24-2006, 10:30 AM   #9
j giar
Has nothing to add.

j giar has much to be proud ofj giar has much to be proud ofj giar has much to be proud ofj giar has much to be proud ofj giar has much to be proud ofj giar has much to be proud ofj giar has much to be proud ofj giar has much to be proud ofj giar has much to be proud ofj giar has much to be proud ofj giar has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyweb007
Thanks for the advice guys. I probabply should bring pages to work, things have been slow lately and I have quite a bit of downtime, but I still wouldn't want to been seen working on pages when I'm on the clock if anyone walked by my office. I can always work during lunch like you suggested macclint, ( but I gets hungry! . I know I will finish it someday, I can't quit now after 3 issues and about a hundred pages of work is in the bag. I just need to decide that someday starts today, and get at it.
Spy, keep one thing in mind. The job you're at, that helps you pay your bills? It's also the one that finances what you're doing on your book. Don't jeopardize that. Especially with a new kid. (Them diapers are spensiv!!)
I actually went through the same thing you did...but for much longer. When my 6 year old was born...well she got my studio. Once I moved out and packed up all my shit. I didn't even touch a pencil for 5 years. Like you said, either I was burned out from trying to get in with big guys, or I made a decision to put things on hold. Either way..it actually worked out for the best. Not only did I return and decide to do my own thing..re-energized, if you will. But I also discovered this place and all these talented and awesome folks on here, all with the same quirks and self doubt. But that's what makes us talented, right? There are plenty of people on here with the will to help others get back on track. You obviously want to finish this thing or you wouldn't be asking for advice on here. For me I did force myself several times to at least work on something. Anything that moves you closer, no matter how small, is a positive direction. Keep checking in with us and let us know how things are going. Now pick up that damn pencil and finish this thing!
Best of luck! Jim Giar
Panel continuity and storytelling should be the primary objective of all GOOD comic book art.
j giar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 01:03 PM   #10
nolanjwerner

nolanjwerner is an unknown quantity at this point

You might want to check out my comic workshop. Its in my sig.

You could get a supportive environment with feedback and encouragement.

NJW
Old 06-26-2006, 10:00 AM   #11
Ingrid K. V. Hardy
Owner of a Rabid Horse

Ingrid K. V. Hardy has a brilliant futureIngrid K. V. Hardy has a brilliant futureIngrid K. V. Hardy has a brilliant futureIngrid K. V. Hardy has a brilliant futureIngrid K. V. Hardy has a brilliant futureIngrid K. V. Hardy has a brilliant futureIngrid K. V. Hardy has a brilliant futureIngrid K. V. Hardy has a brilliant futureIngrid K. V. Hardy has a brilliant futureIngrid K. V. Hardy has a brilliant futureIngrid K. V. Hardy has a brilliant future

Wish I could offer earth-shattering, instant problem solving advice, but alas, I get the feeling alot of us are in similar boats. I've been through career changes, life changes, etc. and the only thing that keeps my sanity is my pencil. And now I'm working on a comic book project, and the kids are demanding attention, signifigant other needs someone to complain to after hearing all kinds of poop on his job, etc etc etc. Sometimes I think it's best not to think too much about it. Just take a minute and sit at your desk/table/pile of boxes/whatever-you-use. Your hand will get your pencil without you even realizing it! I can almost garantee that you'll regret it if you don't finish your book.

Over 50 and still nifty.
Ingrid K. V. Hardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 11:04 AM   #12
mongoose

mongoose is on a distinguished road

This is something I've been thinking about for awhile now. I'll probably get fried for what I'm about to post.

Based on my prior experiences and reading about others who became successful by 'doing there own thing', it's very difficult to juggle the day career and work your magic in the evening and weekends. To put it bluntly...you increase your odds by concentrating/focusing/working on your project during the day. In other words, quitting your day job might increase your odds.

Hear me out.

I've read countless bios written by authors who'll tell not to quit your job, but they did and became successful. Check out for yourself. There is a success principle that states one must put theirselves in a position where success is the only option. Burn your ships and fight the war. Only problem, this isn't a viable solution for some of us because we have bills, families, etc, etc. Besides...our goal is to CREATE COMIC BOOKS! Come on, let's be honest - it sounds crazy to quit your job to produce a comic book. Your wife will go crazy. How will you pay the bills.

I've worked for small construction companies over the years and the owners all set out on their own to realize their dream. My buddy is a lawyer that never worked for a firm. He just hustled. He's rich now. Puff Daddy delivered newspapers. Stephen King lived off his wife (and so did many other writers). Kanye West explained his dream to his upper middle class parents, they helped him out. I read that one of the producers of Hustle and Flow sold her house to help produce the movie. Didn't Brian Bendis work at McDonalds really early in the morning. She believed in it. She had faith.

You gotta have some help. I've explained to my girlfriend my goals. She's down (she makes alot of $$$).

Let's discuss this. If your really want this you gotta do what it takes. It's your life...right.
Old 06-26-2006, 11:36 AM   #13
Fahnon

Fahnon is on a distinguished road

Wow I thought I was the only one who had trouble with this...

Last edited by Fahnon; 06-26-2006 at 11:38 AM.
Fahnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 11:58 AM   #14
jimmycakes
Jason May: Robot Man

jimmycakes is a glorious beacon of lightjimmycakes is a glorious beacon of lightjimmycakes is a glorious beacon of lightjimmycakes is a glorious beacon of lightjimmycakes is a glorious beacon of lightjimmycakes is a glorious beacon of lightjimmycakes is a glorious beacon of light

I just look at the pile of stuff I have to do and say, "if I just sat down and forced myself, then the pile will get smaller." eventually...

But, yeah, all you can do is sit down and bang it out. Try and figure out a way to make it fun or watch a movie, read a book or something that will inspire you. Music helps me. If I toss in NOFX, white trash two heebs and a bean, the quick tempo gets the old dusty mind workin'. But that's my album. Find your album.

I'm struggling through a book right now that I don't quite feel like working on. But that's the beast, man, that's the beast.

I AM a Wii pimp and I can't help it...
jimmycakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 12:48 PM   #15
Ingrid K. V. Hardy
Owner of a Rabid Horse

Ingrid K. V. Hardy has a brilliant futureIngrid K. V. Hardy has a brilliant futureIngrid K. V. Hardy has a brilliant futureIngrid K. V. Hardy has a brilliant futureIngrid K. V. Hardy has a brilliant futureIngrid K. V. Hardy has a brilliant futureIngrid K. V. Hardy has a brilliant futureIngrid K. V. Hardy has a brilliant futureIngrid K. V. Hardy has a brilliant futureIngrid K. V. Hardy has a brilliant futureIngrid K. V. Hardy has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by j giar
I didn't even touch a pencil for 5 years. Giar
5 years!! Longest I ever went through was exactly 1 year, when I was a teenager, and realized how much I missed it and how important it was. Even with newborns I didn't go that long!

Over 50 and still nifty.
Ingrid K. V. Hardy is offline   Reply With Quote