Go Back   Digital Webbing Forums > Talent Engine > Creator Community

Old 06-25-2006, 05:16 PM   #1
Great Scott
Maker of Strange Things

Great Scott is just really niceGreat Scott is just really niceGreat Scott is just really niceGreat Scott is just really niceGreat Scott is just really nice

Web designers, I need your advice

What resolution would you shoot for when designing a portfolio site? I'm using a pretty limited application to build it (iWeb) so I can't do anything too fancy. I can't afford Dreamweaver or GoLive right now, and I am refusing to get illegal software anymore. Is 800x600 still considered a standard size for anyone browsing the web, or would 1024x768 be a better choice?

Myspace

Comicspace

K e e p
I t
S i m p l e
S t u p i d
Great Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 06-25-2006, 05:27 PM   #2
Dave Reynolds
Art dork

Dave Reynolds is on a distinguished road

I've found that 1024x768 has become the standard sizes these days. And don't worry about not being able to do fancy stuff with your website... I've found that the best sites rely mainly upon a good solid design, that loads fast, with simple navigation.
-DeviantArt account
Dave Reynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 05:59 PM   #3
Great Scott
Maker of Strange Things

Great Scott is just really niceGreat Scott is just really niceGreat Scott is just really niceGreat Scott is just really niceGreat Scott is just really nice

Here I uploaded what I've built so far:
Great Scott Portfolio w.i.p.

Myspace

Comicspace

K e e p
I t
S i m p l e
S t u p i d
Old 06-25-2006, 06:05 PM   #4
Ron Phillips
Are you terminal?

Ron Phillips has a reputation beyond reputeRon Phillips has a reputation beyond reputeRon Phillips has a reputation beyond reputeRon Phillips has a reputation beyond reputeRon Phillips has a reputation beyond reputeRon Phillips has a reputation beyond reputeRon Phillips has a reputation beyond reputeRon Phillips has a reputation beyond reputeRon Phillips has a reputation beyond reputeRon Phillips has a reputation beyond reputeRon Phillips has a reputation beyond repute

For having limitted tools you did pretty good. I'd recommend shaving about 10-20 pixels off the width. Taking into account the scrollbar so there isn't horizontal scroll. I also think you could shorten your drips. Being they are navigation, they should be within the first 500 pixels.

Design wise, it's cool.

Buy Ron's Books - on Amazon Kindle

Flash Fiction Friday - A community writing project

Shotgun Honey - a blast of fiction to blow your mind

Home | Twitter | Facebook |MySpace
Ron Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 06:28 PM   #5
L Jamal
ljamal.com

L Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud of

FYI although lots of people set their monitor to 1024x768 many do so to have multiple windows open. For instance, I run at 1024x768, but I never have a browser open any more than 800 pixels. I design for 800x600 because I design for people like me would don't browse at full width.

FOR ALL YOUR WEB AND PRINT NEEDS
PORTFOLIO
L Jamal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 12:26 AM   #6
Ron Phillips
Are you terminal?

Ron Phillips has a reputation beyond reputeRon Phillips has a reputation beyond reputeRon Phillips has a reputation beyond reputeRon Phillips has a reputation beyond reputeRon Phillips has a reputation beyond reputeRon Phillips has a reputation beyond reputeRon Phillips has a reputation beyond reputeRon Phillips has a reputation beyond reputeRon Phillips has a reputation beyond reputeRon Phillips has a reputation beyond reputeRon Phillips has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljamal
FYI although lots of people set their monitor to 1024x768 many do so to have multiple windows open. For instance, I run at 1024x768, but I never have a browser open any more than 800 pixels. I design for 800x600 because I design for people like me would don't browse at full width.
We're actually not the norm. The average user doesn't resize their windows or reset their monitor settings from factory standard.

Buy Ron's Books - on Amazon Kindle

Flash Fiction Friday - A community writing project

Shotgun Honey - a blast of fiction to blow your mind

Home | Twitter | Facebook |MySpace
Ron Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 12:34 AM   #7
D.J. Coffman
Is a Juggernaut

D.J. Coffman is just really niceD.J. Coffman is just really niceD.J. Coffman is just really niceD.J. Coffman is just really niceD.J. Coffman is just really niceD.J. Coffman is just really nice

I've noticed Dell started doing the 1024x768 as their standard setting, especially on the larger monitors.
D.J. Coffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 12:51 AM   #8
infinitymurph
The Nowhere

infinitymurph is on a distinguished road

I still design to 800 x 600, primarily because I too often have windows open at less than 1024 x 768.

I would say definetly make the drops shorter, the last thing you want is a potential client stopping by your site, and not know what to do.

The simplier your site, the better.
infinitymurph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 01:49 AM   #9
Rotin
Follow the white rabbit

Rotin has a spectacular aura aboutRotin has a spectacular aura aboutRotin has a spectacular aura about

Simplicity seems to be the key...I`ve designed my own site using Corel Draw ( ugghh) and microsoft frontpage (double uugghhh) and people seem to like it,,,Nothing fancy...just easy to use...

On the resolution issue, Should Webdesigners be designing for the lowest denominator? I mean, How many people are viewing at 800x600 these days?
Old 06-26-2006, 02:08 AM   #10
L Jamal
ljamal.com

L Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotin
On the resolution issue, Should Webdesigners be designing for the lowest denominator? I mean, How many people are viewing at 800x600 these days?
It depends on your audience. The more accessible you make your site, the more people who can view it easily.

FOR ALL YOUR WEB AND PRINT NEEDS
PORTFOLIO
L Jamal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 12:57 AM   #11
omega sentry
Hero posing as Civilian

omega sentry is a glorious beacon of lightomega sentry is a glorious beacon of lightomega sentry is a glorious beacon of lightomega sentry is a glorious beacon of lightomega sentry is a glorious beacon of lightomega sentry is a glorious beacon of light

It's not big deal you can make your site adjust it self so it looks good at any width that it might be looked upon. You just got to do the right tags and have the proper run on images.

What weary place this be, lies daunts it’s heart so still. Perhaps all it needs is great mischief poured down and spilled.

Isn't it that you are miracle enough?
omega sentry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 02:36 PM   #12
Great Scott
Maker of Strange Things

Thanks everyone.

Myspace

Comicspace

K e e p
I t
S i m p l e
S t u p i d
Old 07-03-2006, 05:32 PM   #13
Great Scott
Maker of Strange Things

Hey all, I just uploaded an updated web site. If you're so inclined, check it out and let me know what you think:
Great Scott Portfolio w.i.p. UPDATE

Myspace

Comicspace

K e e p
I t
S i m p l e
S t u p i d
Old 07-03-2006, 06:51 PM   #14
Gonzogoose
An Endless Fire Grows

Gonzogoose is just really niceGonzogoose is just really niceGonzogoose is just really niceGonzogoose is just really niceGonzogoose is just really nice

I think the design sense is very nice. Love the ink drips.

As for sizing, I prefer sites that extend to whatever the width is. Not sure you could do that with this one, but some sites designed for 800x600 are awfully small at higher resolutions. I don't resize my screen hardly ever, and neither do most of the people I know. But when designing you're supposed to make it as versatile as possible as others have said.

Anyway, nice site!
WANT MY COMIC, THE LAST EMBER #0 FOR FREE?! CLICK HERE!
Last Ember Press
Zone 4 Podcast
Comic Frontline
Gonzogoose is offline   Reply With Quote