Go Back   Digital Webbing Forums > Talent Engine > Creator Community

Old 06-25-2006, 06:26 PM   #1
Poboy

Poboy is on a distinguished road

Questions for inkers

Hey all. Do you inkers prefer a tight pencilled page or a loose one?
Also, do you double check the penciler's perspectives, etc. or just go with what they have?
I'm no inker, but when I ink over my own drawing I of course draw a little more loosely knowing I'll make my choices when inking. Would most inkers prefer to make those choices on someone else's pencils? I look at a pencilled page as only half done (tight or loose), and the other half is done by the inker. To me it's a collaboration, so as a penciler, I wouldn't mind the inker making his/her choices on my pencils. If I didn't like it of course, I'd possibly try to switch inkers, but I'd have the same view regarding working with anyone else.
TIA for your input.
Poboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 06-25-2006, 07:04 PM   #2
Mecha
Boob Wrangler

Mecha is a name known to allMecha is a name known to allMecha is a name known to allMecha is a name known to allMecha is a name known to allMecha is a name known to allMecha is a name known to allMecha is a name known to allMecha is a name known to allMecha is a name known to all

Some of us are comfortable with it and some aren't, it really depends on the penciller-inker team in particular because it'll vary for everyone. I know I can handle loose or tight for some styles of pencils, others I prefer just loose, and some I need to be tight so I can actually see what I'm working with

For truth, justice, and pie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mecha
See Jim I TOLD you, you can only lose it once!
Mecha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 08:12 PM   #3
jpruitt0692002

jpruitt0692002 is on a distinguished road

I pretty much agree with Mecha. I like working with Either type of pencils. Granted loose pencils take more time but it allows the Inker to put more of their own interpretation in to the page. I enjoy loose pencils because it give me more freedom to work with but I also Like doing more tight cartoonish style Pencils just because they are fun. Like Mecha said, it really just depends on the inker/penciller relationship and what the penciller feels comfertable letting the inker do with their pencils. I personally, if I see something that is not right in the pencils, I will mention it to whoever needs to hear it and ask for permission to make those adjustments, I guess i don't feel it is proper to just go and change it without saying anything unless that is agreement that you made before hand.

http://jpruitt0692002.deviantart.com
jpruitt0692002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 04:03 PM   #4
Boy
TheUltimateDeuxExMachina

Boy will become famous soon enoughBoy will become famous soon enough

For me, it really depends on how long I've worked with the penciller. When we're just starting out, I do prefer more tight pencils, but once I got a feel for the style and all, I like 'em a little looser.

I'm not alone I've got this microphone - Mike Patton

TV is like taking black paint to your third eye - Bill Hicks
Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 06:28 PM   #5
Tom Nguyen
DC Comics Pro

Tom Nguyen is on a distinguished road

doesn't matter to me if I get loose/tight pencils. I've worked with both and am comfortable with my own style/draftsmanship to deal with whatever is thrown my way. If something is way off, I will correct it if I feel like it. I used to do it more often, but in recent years I've been doing it less and less, saying "F*** it." I don't get paid any more to basically redraw the errors, and all the blame goes to the penciller anyway.

Best,
TOM

Yahoo! Group (updated 3/20/06-- Wizard World L.A. sketches): http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TomNguyenCrazies

"I Draw the Line" column, 4/26: http://www.comicon.com/pulse
Tom Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote