Go Back   Digital Webbing Forums > Talent Engine > Creator Community

Old 06-25-2006, 07:36 PM   #1
Lovecraft13
Mac the Knife

Lovecraft13 is a splendid one to beholdLovecraft13 is a splendid one to beholdLovecraft13 is a splendid one to beholdLovecraft13 is a splendid one to beholdLovecraft13 is a splendid one to beholdLovecraft13 is a splendid one to beholdLovecraft13 is a splendid one to beholdLovecraft13 is a splendid one to beholdLovecraft13 is a splendid one to beholdLovecraft13 is a splendid one to beholdLovecraft13 is a splendid one to behold

Comics with several chapters per issue

This question is for the comic book savvy. Are there a lot of comic books on the market today that use chapters within their issues as a story-telling device? Also, if you read any, did the method work for you, or would you prefer a linear method? I ask because I'm currently writing a six-issue miniseries that has about two or three chapters per book, and each chapter is treated like its own self-contained story in one larger plot.

Last edited by Lovecraft13; 06-25-2006 at 07:42 PM.
Lovecraft13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 06-25-2006, 08:04 PM   #2
Icaruss
The Masked Avenger

Icaruss is on a distinguished road

There aren't a lot of comic-books who use several chapters within a single issue, except if you're talking about your 80 pages long specials. I think the reason for this is that it's easier for the reader to take on each issue as a chapter. I wouldn't mind having several chapters in an issue that's 50 pages long, but it starts to be kinda annoying if there's a new one every eight pages.

What if your reader doesn't care about the characters introduced on chapter two? They would want to get to see what's happening to the character they liked in the first place, the one that got them to buy the story. Or worse, what if your reader doesn't like the things happening in Chapter 3, and what's to see how the situation introduced in Chapter 1 is holding out?

You gotta make sure you keep every chapter, in every book, interesting for everyone. And that's tough.

You can do it though.
Icaruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 08:17 PM   #3
jrod
the moose in the closet

jrod will become famous soon enoughjrod will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icaruss
What if your reader doesn't care about the characters introduced on chapter two? They would want to get to see what's happening to the character they liked in the first place, the one that got them to buy the story. Or worse, what if your reader doesn't like the things happening in Chapter 3, and what's to see how the situation introduced in Chapter 1 is holding out?
If your audience is turning away from a comic because of four pages dedicated to a character you have bigger problems than structure.
jrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 08:24 PM   #4
Paul Sanderson
Dread Avenger

Paul Sanderson has much to be proud ofPaul Sanderson has much to be proud ofPaul Sanderson has much to be proud ofPaul Sanderson has much to be proud ofPaul Sanderson has much to be proud ofPaul Sanderson has much to be proud ofPaul Sanderson has much to be proud ofPaul Sanderson has much to be proud ofPaul Sanderson has much to be proud ofPaul Sanderson has much to be proud ofPaul Sanderson has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrod
If your audience is turning away from a comic because of four pages dedicated to a character you have bigger problems than structure.
Agreed.
www.trinitycomics.com
www.twitter.com/Trinity_Comics
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Trinit...43120692428699

Personal site: www.frankdirscherl.com
Paul Sanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 08:26 PM   #5
L Jamal
ljamal.com

L Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud of

Outside one shots you usually don't see the multiple chapters in a single issues, but I wouldn't let that stop me from doing it. Most comics don't bother to finish a story in one issue, but that doens't mean it shouldn't or can't be done.

FOR ALL YOUR WEB AND PRINT NEEDS
PORTFOLIO
L Jamal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 08:16 AM   #6
JamieRoberts

JamieRoberts has much to be proud ofJamieRoberts has much to be proud ofJamieRoberts has much to be proud ofJamieRoberts has much to be proud ofJamieRoberts has much to be proud ofJamieRoberts has much to be proud ofJamieRoberts has much to be proud ofJamieRoberts has much to be proud ofJamieRoberts has much to be proud ofJamieRoberts has much to be proud ofJamieRoberts has much to be proud of

There's a way to make everything work, you've just got to work hard enough to nail it. I mean (OK, this is a movie, but) Pulp Fiction, on paper, would have been a bit of a risk but Tarantino made it not only work, but kinda kicked off a whole new way of storytelling. Disclaimer: I don't know if anyone else did it first, but certainly not on the same scale.

Every single issue is a chapter, so you already write in chapters naturally. It's all about balance when you condense those chapters.
JamieRoberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 11:08 PM   #7
T.J. May
Writer/SUMM Publications

T.J. May is a glorious beacon of lightT.J. May is a glorious beacon of lightT.J. May is a glorious beacon of lightT.J. May is a glorious beacon of lightT.J. May is a glorious beacon of lightT.J. May is a glorious beacon of lightT.J. May is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by quones
\Disclaimer: I don't know if anyone else did it first, but certainly not on the same scale.

Every single issue is a chapter, so you already write in chapters naturally. It's all about balance when you condense those chapters.
Yes, many people did it first. It's just that they were in Japan ad most of us Americans never heard of them. So, Tarantino was fresh to the US scene, but not the global.

As for chapters, check out some of Allan Moore's stuff. Not sure if he used Chapters in the original monthlies, but he uses them in some of his Trades and GNs.
"[T.J. May's script] reminded me a bit of the kind of dark fable one might expect from Neil Gaiman...it definitely boasts that kind of strength."
--Don MacPherson (TheFourthRail.com)
www.tjmay.net
www.summ.net
T.J. May is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 11:18 PM   #8
Dave Reynolds
Art dork

Dave Reynolds is on a distinguished road

Early issues of the Batman Adventures did this too. I actually thought it was kind of clever... About every eight pages, they'd have a chapter or an "Act Break", set up like the cartoon show was. And they were usually kind of fun and clever. Of course in a 22 page story, it served no other purpose than style, but it was still fun... Which at the height of "Knightquest" was a welcomed relief.
-DeviantArt account
Dave Reynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 09:50 AM   #9
SDulaney
Pythonist (reform)

SDulaney is a glorious beacon of lightSDulaney is a glorious beacon of lightSDulaney is a glorious beacon of lightSDulaney is a glorious beacon of lightSDulaney is a glorious beacon of lightSDulaney is a glorious beacon of lightSDulaney is a glorious beacon of light

If you look back at a lot of Kirby's 70's work (mostly the Post-New Gods DC material) he did a lot of chapter/act breaks. THe ATLAS one shot and his JUSTICE INC. issues are great examples as are the KAMANDI issues before he returned to Marvel. Not sure if it was a stylistic choice, habit going back to his days when he and Simon were packaging anthology material or just something that developed as he tried to stay interested in the material he had to knock out due to his contract.
SDulaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 03:37 PM   #10
jimmycakes
Jason May: Robot Man

jimmycakes is a glorious beacon of lightjimmycakes is a glorious beacon of lightjimmycakes is a glorious beacon of lightjimmycakes is a glorious beacon of lightjimmycakes is a glorious beacon of lightjimmycakes is a glorious beacon of lightjimmycakes is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Reynolds
Early issues of the Batman Adventures did this too. I actually thought it was kind of clever... About every eight pages, they'd have a chapter or an "Act Break", set up like the cartoon show was. And they were usually kind of fun and clever. Of course in a 22 page story, it served no other purpose than style, but it was still fun... Which at the height of "Knightquest" was a welcomed relief.
Yeah, I dug the Batman Adventure breaks as well.

Make anything fun or interesting and it will work.

I AM a Wii pimp and I can't help it...
jimmycakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 03:52 PM   #11
Scott Story
www.johnnysaturn.com

Scott Story has disabled reputation

Chris Priest used to do this sort of chapter thing in Black Panther.
Scott Story is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 04:15 PM   #12
Boy
TheUltimateDeuxExMachina

Boy will become famous soon enoughBoy will become famous soon enough

Fables by Bill Willingham uses it from time to time. Though I don't think it serves any function what so ever most of the time.

I'm not alone I've got this microphone - Mike Patton

TV is like taking black paint to your third eye - Bill Hicks
Boy is offline   Reply With Quote