Go Back   Digital Webbing Forums > Talent Engine > Creator Community

Old 07-02-2006, 11:38 AM   #1
darrell31316
The Thread Killer!

darrell31316 is on a distinguished road

Webcartoonists

Question for any and all webcartoonists on the board. Do you prefer to actually write out a panel by panel script or synopsis before beginning to draw your strip or do you just go at it? I especially would like to hear from those of you who do adventure-type strips. Thanks (and enjoy your weekend).

darrell31316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 07-02-2006, 11:58 AM   #2
Kep!
Mad Genius

Location: Ok, maybe just a little ticked off, not actually mad.
Kep! has much to be proud ofKep! has much to be proud ofKep! has much to be proud ofKep! has much to be proud ofKep! has much to be proud ofKep! has much to be proud ofKep! has much to be proud ofKep! has much to be proud ofKep! has much to be proud ofKep! has much to be proud ofKep! has much to be proud of

that would depend ENTIRELY on how I wanted the strip to flow. Typically, I work in ongoing story format, so I like to have the entire arc worked out...at least in tight outline...before the art begins. As I letter as well as write, I'm more apt to do loose diag before the art and tighten it up afterwards to match the flow of the art...my logic is it allows the art to grow organically. That's what I tell myself at least.

If you're doing all the work yourself, I recomend you do whatever feels best to you. I rarely write a full script if I'm doing the art (shutter), but if someone else is doing it, I make Alan Moore look suscinct. But the way you manage your work flow is just that, the way YOU manage it. I recomend you try it several ways and see what you like...because you're going to get 10 answers from 5 people here...we all work very differently.

Good luck!
Kep! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 12:48 PM   #3
Shishio

Shishio is on a distinguished road

What I do is keep a list I have jotted down keywords and phrases on so that I do not forget my ideas, because I am much too lazy to write a full synopsis of every idea. The list looks something like this:

One-liners Ideas:

- Masturbate Screaming Shannon's Name
- Preparation H
- Slurpee/Orgasm In Mouth

And so on.

The first item is the idea for the first strip, the second item is for the second and third strips, and the third item is for the seventh strip which is currently on the main page of my site.

Anyway, when I write strips, I refer to my list, pick an idea, and write it out in a panel-by-panel format.
Old 07-02-2006, 01:33 PM   #4
innocentboy

innocentboy has disabled reputation

either works for me, depends on the specific situation still

"NICE ARTWORK. I RESPECT YOUR TALENT ... REAL RECOGNIZE REAL" - Ill Bill

"NUFF TALENT..! BIG UP..!" - MC Skibadee

"CHECK THIS BOOK OUT" - Newsarama.com

SONG OF SONGS THE COMIC BOOK
www.songofsongsthecomicbook.com
innocentboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 09:31 PM   #5
Scott Story
www.johnnysaturn.com

Scott Story has disabled reputation

I write a full script, and have it all worked out in advance. I do this primarily because, when I sit down to draw, I don't wan't to be at a loss of what to draw. I'm not chained to the script, and I will occasionally modify it on the fly, but overall I script it all in advance.
Scott Story is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 09:32 PM   #6
Amtekoth

Amtekoth will become famous soon enough

I write the full script, email it to Max in Brazil, he draws the art and emails it back. I letter in Illustrator, paste it into Photoshop and post it on the Lab Bratz site.

If Max feels a need to change the flow (more/fewer panels), he does it. Then I adjust the dialogue accordingly.

Works for us!

Ed
Amtekoth is offline   Reply With Quote