Go Back   Digital Webbing Forums > Talent Engine > Creator Community

Old 07-04-2006, 02:49 AM   #1
the other mike

the other mike has a spectacular aura aboutthe other mike has a spectacular aura about

What to put on business cards?

i know the question sounds like a no-brainer, but i'll ask it anyway:
what info besides, name and e-mail do you put on business cards?
i'm printing up a bunch for SD and i wanna be sure i put all pertinent info on the cards. i don't wanna get stuck with 100 useless pieces of paper.
anyway, i work from home and don't have a cell, so would i have to put my home address and home phone? or will e-mail and web address be ok? i've seen some pros cards have only e-mail and a home page addy. i don't want to crowd the card with useless info.

The Other Mike's Art Depot
the other mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 07-04-2006, 03:05 AM   #2
The Anti-crest
Robert Tidwell - JUGGALO

The Anti-crest is just really niceThe Anti-crest is just really niceThe Anti-crest is just really niceThe Anti-crest is just really niceThe Anti-crest is just really nice

Name
What you do
who you do it for(company name if applicable)
contact info(phone number, email)
Old 07-04-2006, 03:44 AM   #3
Mecha
Boob Wrangler

Mecha is a name known to allMecha is a name known to allMecha is a name known to allMecha is a name known to allMecha is a name known to allMecha is a name known to allMecha is a name known to allMecha is a name known to allMecha is a name known to allMecha is a name known to all

I wouldn't suggest your phone number.... here's why: Talking to a comic book collector last month, I didn't have a card of my own and borrowed one from my animator friend.... she's since gotten phone calls from three different people asking for me or her because they thought we were cute, two of which we hadn't even met. It was creepy.

Email is a fine way for people to get ahold of you, or simply have your number on your site, which should be on the card as well, so if they look at the site and want to contact you that way, it's doable.

I recommend only putting company name if you know you'll be working for them for a long time too, or if it's your own company. Name, what you do, email, and website URL are most important and you won't have to worry about getting new cards

For truth, justice, and pie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mecha
See Jim I TOLD you, you can only lose it once!
Mecha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 04:15 AM   #4
Gonzogoose
An Endless Fire Grows

Gonzogoose is just really niceGonzogoose is just really niceGonzogoose is just really niceGonzogoose is just really niceGonzogoose is just really nice

I agree with Mecha with one difference. IF you had a separate business line I'd say put that on there, but I wouldn't put your home phone personally speaking. Name, email, web address and what you do are the main things. Maybe a small logo if appropriate to pretty ut up, but not really necessary. That's about it.
WANT MY COMIC, THE LAST EMBER #0 FOR FREE?! CLICK HERE!
Last Ember Press
Zone 4 Podcast
Comic Frontline
Gonzogoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 03:06 PM   #5
The Anti-crest
Robert Tidwell - JUGGALO

The Anti-crest is just really niceThe Anti-crest is just really niceThe Anti-crest is just really niceThe Anti-crest is just really niceThe Anti-crest is just really nice

I've worked with tons of musicians who all put their cell phones on their buisness card.

Gonzogoose and Mecha are very much on point though. The idea is to let them know who you are and how easy it is to get in touch with you.
Old 07-04-2006, 03:26 PM   #6
the other mike

the other mike has a spectacular aura aboutthe other mike has a spectacular aura about

thanks very much, guys. i would've put my addy and phone number if i never got a confirmation. last thing i need is for a stranger to call at 2am offering to comb my hair for me.

Old 07-04-2006, 06:48 PM   #7
Boy
TheUltimateDeuxExMachina

Boy will become famous soon enoughBoy will become famous soon enough

I dunno, Mike. A free hair combing IS nice.

Seriously though. A photo might not be a bad idea. If you plan to use these for cons, anyways. Editors get a LOT of cards. And if you actually manage to talk to them, they probably won't remember your name, but they're much more likely to remember your face.

I'm not alone I've got this microphone - Mike Patton

TV is like taking black paint to your third eye - Bill Hicks
Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 07:54 PM   #8
fluxchild
Zombie Hunter

fluxchild has a spectacular aura aboutfluxchild has a spectacular aura about

I wouldn't put a home number on my card unless I didn't have a business card...I do graphic design which means I do a ton of business cards...the info most likely to be added is

Name
title(or what you do)

address(if pertinent to contacting you)
phone numbers(most people put home, mobile, and fax)

High Art

3rd Eye Comics
ARW Visions
"What do you see with your 3rd eye
fluxchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 10:29 PM   #9
JSettnek
Goot's Goon

JSettnek is on a distinguished road

I think a phone number should be on a business card. People don't want have to track you down to give you work. You should make it easy for them. But at the same time you don't want to give out business cards to every person you meet unless you expect them to contact you at some point.
But if you are uncomfortable printing a number on your card you could just leave the area blank and then use the pen you carry, when you network, to write it on there.

To go with that here's a neat little trick I learned from some strange scientist guy in a book store.

This guy saw me looking at computer books and we got to talking about what we do. When he gave me his card he wrote on the back where we had met and what we were talking about. Six months later when I was cleaning out my wallet of strange business cards I kept this one because I remembered the guy and our conversation. I even took a minute to look at his website. Imagine if I were an editor and he were an artist or writer and I needed to hire someone. This would have been a perfect setup for the guy to get a job.
Old 07-04-2006, 10:40 PM   #10
jrod
the moose in the closet

jrod will become famous soon enoughjrod will become famous soon enough

We had a pretty detailed discussion on business cards here and there are a lot of examples posted of cards people are using.

Design is most important, I'd think, and it should have your name, phone number, email and website. Here's my most recent one:

Front:

Back:

And my older one (I've since decided to lose the address):

Front:

Back:
jrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 10:42 PM   #11
jrod
the moose in the closet

On the phone number issue, I put my cell phone. It's crazy not to have a phone number. When I was putting together Postcards I was calling people up, not sending them emails, because you get answers faster. People tend to lose emails.

If you don't want people calling you up, don't give your card to them.
Old 07-05-2006, 12:19 AM   #12
fluxchild
Zombie Hunter

fluxchild has a spectacular aura aboutfluxchild has a spectacular aura about

if you're weird about putting a number on your card, why not make it into sort of a little flyer with an email address or a web addy on it? Then it could be sort of a teaser flyer or preview of your work....but bear in mind that the dimensions of a bcard is only 3.5 X 2......it may be 3.5 X 2.5, not positive....been drinkin!

High Art

3rd Eye Comics
ARW Visions
"What do you see with your 3rd eye
fluxchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 12:26 AM   #13
the other mike

so to review, its DEFINITELY...
name
what you do
web address
...and phone (if its a cell or business phone)

do not put home phone or home address.

another no-brainer question:
in the job title part, i always put "illustrator". do i need to get specific and say "penciller"? or "comic book illustrator" or "comic book artist"? or do i go the humorous route like "drawer" or "crap flinger"?

Old 07-05-2006, 12:40 AM   #14
jrod
the moose in the closet

Quote:
Originally Posted by the other mike
so to review, its DEFINITELY...
name
what you do
web address
...and phone (if its a cell or business phone)

do not put home phone or home address.

another no-brainer question:
in the job title part, i always put "illustrator". do i need to get specific and say "penciller"? or "comic book illustrator" or "comic book artist"? or do i go the humorous route like "drawer" or "crap flinger"?
You should leave some blank, uncoated space for notes, too. Some people will want to jot down what books you do or maybe you have an alternate phone number for them or something - at a convention and you want to meet up with someone, cell's dead and you need to use your lady's phone, who knows?

And take yourself seriously. You're an illustrator.
Old 07-05-2006, 02:24 AM   #15
the other mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrod
You should leave some blank, uncoated space for notes, too. Some people will want to jot down what books you do or maybe you have an alternate phone number for them or something - at a convention and you want to meet up with someone, cell's dead and you need to use your lady's phone, who knows?

And take yourself seriously. You're an illustrator.
illustrator it is.

just for the record, i'm going to make/print the cards myself. not trying to be cheap tho, i just don't want to get stuck with a few hundred of the things AGAIN. plus i had a bad experience dealing with vistaprint. ironically, making my own is more expensive than having them printed. its $20 for paper and card making software vs $5-$10 for shipping the free business cards over at vistaprint.