Old 07-08-2006, 09:33 PM   #1
TAP_LEGION

Tim Bradstreet: Artist or Hack?

Opinions ?

Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 07-08-2006, 09:34 PM   #2
L Jamal
ljamal.com

L Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud of

Neither, he's a troll.

FOR ALL YOUR WEB AND PRINT NEEDS
PORTFOLIO
Old 07-08-2006, 09:59 PM   #3
Calloway
I haz cookiez an kool-aid

Calloway has much to be proud ofCalloway has much to be proud ofCalloway has much to be proud ofCalloway has much to be proud ofCalloway has much to be proud ofCalloway has much to be proud ofCalloway has much to be proud ofCalloway has much to be proud ofCalloway has much to be proud ofCalloway has much to be proud ofCalloway has much to be proud of

oh ok, i'll start the arguing...hack
Old 07-08-2006, 10:43 PM   #4
ChuckBordell

ChuckBordell is on a distinguished road

What kind of a question is that? A hack because he takes photos before drawing? Or are you just asking how many people here like his work and how many don't?

Chuck
www.highanxietystudios.com
Old 07-08-2006, 10:46 PM   #5
The-Spirit

The-Spirit is a name known to allThe-Spirit is a name known to allThe-Spirit is a name known to allThe-Spirit is a name known to allThe-Spirit is a name known to allThe-Spirit is a name known to allThe-Spirit is a name known to allThe-Spirit is a name known to allThe-Spirit is a name known to all

Looks like he just traces photos, he does have talent for design tho.
Old 07-08-2006, 10:46 PM   #6
TAP_LEGION

I'm asking because ALL HE DOES is trace from photos...nothing more. I've never seen the guy do anything freehand.

Old 07-08-2006, 10:52 PM   #7
The-Spirit

The-Spirit is a name known to allThe-Spirit is a name known to allThe-Spirit is a name known to allThe-Spirit is a name known to allThe-Spirit is a name known to allThe-Spirit is a name known to allThe-Spirit is a name known to allThe-Spirit is a name known to allThe-Spirit is a name known to all

I dunno he does very nice tracings, inkers do the same.
Old 07-08-2006, 11:15 PM   #8
Scott Story
www.johnnysaturn.com

Scott Story has disabled reputation

Yikes--have we learned nothing from the Greg Land wars?

One thing I have learned: Most comic fans have some level of disdain for artists who trace pictures. The tracing might be a swipe, taking it from another penciler. It might be from a photo, either one the artist took himself, or one he swiped from another source (like Sports illustrated, Maxim, etc.). It might be from Poser.

So, no matter what, the average comic fan feels cheated it the art wasn't drawn freehand.

Here's another thing I've learned: The average comic fan can't tell if the picture was traced, or if it's freehand. If its traced, the usual fan thinks the artist is really detail orientated, or really good. Then, when he finds out how it was done, he feels cheated.

Thus, comic fans want their comics to be untraced, but they can't tell the difference.
Old 07-08-2006, 11:33 PM   #9
L Jamal
ljamal.com

L Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud of

The biggest difference between LAnd and Bradstreet is Bradstreet takes his own pictures. This means he puts together the composition. He controls the lighting. Everything is his.

FOR ALL YOUR WEB AND PRINT NEEDS
PORTFOLIO
Old 07-08-2006, 11:50 PM   #10
oddsea
is full of ghosts

oddsea will become famous soon enough

As an illustrator I would say hack.

If someone took a picture and painted/inked over it with photoshoppery that's hack...I don't see how inking over a lightboxed photo is any different. If you take photos, even really really good ones that would look great inked over, you're a photographer. The only thing that you are illustrating is your lack of drawing skill.

As a personal opinion, it's kinda disheartening finding out that particular artists use tracing methods to do work but on a peer level they are just limiting the work they can do.
Old 07-08-2006, 11:58 PM   #11
Calloway
I haz cookiez an kool-aid

Calloway has much to be proud ofCalloway has much to be proud ofCalloway has much to be proud ofCalloway has much to be proud ofCalloway has much to be proud ofCalloway has much to be proud ofCalloway has much to be proud ofCalloway has much to be proud ofCalloway has much to be proud ofCalloway has much to be proud ofCalloway has much to be proud of

It;s just plain tracing. Hope a photo on a light board and put a board over it and take an ink pen and trace. Not exactly a hard skill. Land may copy a picture but you can still see land in the piece, bradstreet is whatever he traces. How he became big is because people liked his tracing without knowing any different at the time. I remember when he was asked about his technique, it pissed alot of people off. If you like tracings fine, if you like swipes fine, if you like creativity and originality fine. Only the consumer counts so this is really pointless isn't it?
Old 07-09-2006, 12:05 AM   #12
Jason Arthur
Starving Letterer

Jason Arthur is a glorious beacon of lightJason Arthur is a glorious beacon of lightJason Arthur is a glorious beacon of lightJason Arthur is a glorious beacon of lightJason Arthur is a glorious beacon of lightJason Arthur is a glorious beacon of lightJason Arthur is a glorious beacon of light

So you think just any schmuck with a camera and light box can do this:

http://www.punisher-art.com/artists/...sions_inks.jpg

??

-- J
Old 07-09-2006, 12:10 AM   #13
James Taylor
Hero Wannabe

James Taylor will become famous soon enoughJames Taylor will become famous soon enough

Plenty of guys use photos for reference and even trace them Ė thereís more than you think and more than likely some of the names would surprise you.

Bradstreet does have some artistic chops, from work Iíve seen in the past. Heís just become formulaic and too dependent on photo reference. But that said he does take his own photos, like I said many artist do that. Though I do have a problem with artists who use other peoples photographs as reference and sell them as their own work, profiting off someone elseís idea/creation Ė but Tim doesnít do that.

He does have a very good sense of design but once again he keeps reusing his same formula. Heís just lost his desire to breakout of it and who can blame him if they keep paying for it. Hell Jim Lee uses the same formula over and over in his work. Tim uses photographs as a tool, yeah itís cheating a bit but he uses it to create the results that his clients want Ė that the job of the illustrator, give the client what they want.

So no heís not a hack and is an artist just not an overly creative artist.

Now all that said I donít like his work and artistically heís very boring for me.
Old 07-09-2006, 12:34 AM   #14
Justice41
Piss Off

Justice41 has disabled reputation

Ahem.... take note of the name on the artwork. You guys sometimes have zip perspective.
Old 07-09-2006, 12:38 AM   #15
joshm
Comic Book creator

joshm is on a distinguished road

Personally, I don't trace anything but my own work; that's very rare too. Whether I think it is a hack or not to trace photos is questionable. I know in design it is all about the finished product. Know one cares how you got it to look the way you did. They just care whether it looks good or not. Architects do a lot of tracing or using images to show people in the structures that they are designing. We don't think they are hacks. They are trying to show what their building will look like with people in it and some don't draw people all that well, so they trace.

However, we're talking about comic artists. I don't know much of either of these guys work, but I don't think it's hacking if they are using some artistic interpretation. We all use references, but we draw them ourselves to make the art ours. Well, these guys make their art theirs a different wayóso what if they do. I don't care and I think if they can get paid to do the work then good for them. I donít do it because Iím an artist looking to create art that is mineóat least as much as I can make it mine. I use references and since Iíve been reading comics for 18 years Iíve picked up a few things from other artist, whether inadvertently or on purpose. In the end an artist just has to make a choice and do the work the way he want to do it.

Josh