Go Back   Digital Webbing Forums > Talent Engine > Creator Community

Old 07-11-2006, 09:44 PM   #1
Windessa

Windessa is on a distinguished road

Unhappy Ugh!!!

Am I a total moron?!?!

I'm dying to color something but I tried to download the flats and I couldn't get them to line up, even after I bugged everyone under the sun... read all the posts which were applicable, and then some... googled and even asked friends/family if it was just me... I still couldn't get them to work. At any rate, here I sit wanting something to do with all my free time!

I love to color; however, I can't find anything TO color!

Can someone please tell me where to go or what to "google" to find copyright-free inked work?

I'm sorry to bother y'all. I know you're all busy, from reading the other posts; so, any help with this will be appreciated--promise!
Windessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 07-11-2006, 10:06 PM   #2
Lynn Lefey
Loki's plaything

Lynn Lefey is on a distinguished road

Go to Deviantart,

Look up Inkthinker, Punker, Stalk, Luisalonso.

There's lots of good line art out there if you look for it.

Also, try asking the folks here in the Artist and Sequential showcases, and ask them if they'd mind letting you try their work for colors.

I don;t know what piece you're talking about, with the flats not lining up, but just throw out the flat layer and do it yourself.

Hope this helps.
Lynn Lefey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 12:01 AM   #3
fmcuonzo

fmcuonzo is on a distinguished road

Hey Windessa. You can check out Comics Art Community or Comic Art Fans for some b/w art. They're not hi-res files but you can find some that are a decent size to practice on. Good luck!
Frank
you are here as a human being
and not as a cooking pot.
fmcuonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 12:08 AM   #4
Windessa

Red face Ugh!! So...

...you're telling me that I can go to any site that has some lineart listed, download their work, use their work to COLOR and list on this page as long as I give them credit? I mean, that's ok?

P.S. I can't thank y'all enough for the info. I'm dying here, wishing I knew how to draw more!
Old 07-12-2006, 12:30 AM   #5
Lynn Lefey
Loki's plaything

I usually consider it best form to ask the artist first, but really, if you're listing the source of the original artist, I can't see how they'd be too upset.

Always best to ask first. Then, only with positive responses, or no responses, should you proceed, and then remember to say who the original artist is.
Old 07-12-2006, 12:38 AM   #6
fmcuonzo

fmcuonzo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn Lefey
I usually consider it best form to ask the artist first, but really, if you're listing the source of the original artist, I can't see how they'd be too upset.

Always best to ask first. Then, only with positive responses, or no responses, should you proceed, and then remember to say who the original artist is.
I agree. Most are flattered you're interested in coloring their work. As long as you're just using the art for practice and critiques and not using it to make money, you should be ok.
Best!
you are here as a human being
and not as a cooking pot.
fmcuonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 12:46 AM   #7
Windessa

Exclamation

Sweet, because I'm in love with Alrioart.com (thanks to someone's PM) !!!!

Thanks, so much, Y'all!!! **hugz**
Old 07-12-2006, 05:29 AM   #8
InkblotzArt
Hue Slinger

InkblotzArt is on a distinguished road

Actually Al Rio (actually his agent Terry) is a pretty big stickler for getting permission before you use his work.

Terry's email is on the Al Rio art webpage so if you see something you want to try and color ask him first.

However, most artists are ok with us aspiring color artists using their work for practice purposes. Just remember a couple of things.

1. It is nice to ask for permission if you can.

2. Be sure to always give credit to the artists (penciler and inker) If you are unsure then put down "Unknown" in the credit list. You defintly don;t want to be thought of as trying to take credit for someone elses work.

3. Remember that the art work you are coloring is not yours so only use this pages for personal practice or personal portfolio peices. Never ever try to make prints for sale or in any way make money off of them (other than using them in a portfolio to get some real paying work).

I hope that gives you some info to help you out.

Now for some other places to get some good line art check out http://seanellery.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=6

Sean has some good stuff in his lineart gallery.

~Chris

P.S. If you are trying to get the lineart and flats to match up from some files PM me and I will try and help ya out.

Last edited by InkblotzArt; 07-12-2006 at 05:32 AM.
InkblotzArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 08:09 AM   #9
TheBDC
Colorist

TheBDC is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by InkblotzArt
Actually Al Rio (actually his agent Terry) is a pretty big stickler for getting permission before you use his work.

Terry's email is on the Al Rio art webpage so if you see something you want to try and color ask him first.

However, most artists are ok with us aspiring color artists using their work for practice purposes. Just remember a couple of things.

1. It is nice to ask for permission if you can.

2. Be sure to always give credit to the artists (penciler and inker) If you are unsure then put down "Unknown" in the credit list. You defintly don;t want to be thought of as trying to take credit for someone elses work.

3. Remember that the art work you are coloring is not yours so only use this pages for personal practice or personal portfolio peices. Never ever try to make prints for sale or in any way make money off of them (other than using them in a portfolio to get some real paying work).

I hope that gives you some info to help you out.

Now for some other places to get some good line art check out http://seanellery.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=6

Sean has some good stuff in his lineart gallery.

~Chris

P.S. If you are trying to get the lineart and flats to match up from some files PM me and I will try and help ya out.
And, to expand on the Al Rio thing, Terry said to me that they would prefer it if no one colored his art unless they contact you to do it. That doesn't mean that they wouldn't approve you posting something, but I got the impression that they didn't want to deal with it.
Old 07-12-2006, 11:21 AM   #10
SeanE

SeanE is just really niceSeanE is just really niceSeanE is just really niceSeanE is just really niceSeanE is just really niceSeanE is just really nice

yep... stay AWAAAYYY from the (alrio)art... away from the art! away!!!!...!

Terry won't like it if you colour his stuff.
Old 07-12-2006, 05:19 PM   #11
Windessa

Thanks y'all... I'll keep that in mind before I post any of his work. The last thing I'd want to do is peace-off Terry or offend Al!

InkblotzArt, you're also the second person to refer me to the seanellery site and I have to agree, there are tons of piccies to consider. Thank you once again!
Old 07-12-2006, 08:49 PM   #12
Lynn Lefey
Loki's plaything

fmcuonzo, thanks for that link to Comics Art Commiunity. Wow, it's awesome.

Maybe we could get a sticky thread of where to go for line art. ? ?
Old 07-12-2006, 11:29 PM   #13
Shishio

Shishio is on a distinguished road

http://forums.comicgenesis.com/viewt...hlight=lineart
Old 07-13-2006, 01:36 AM   #14
The Predator

The Predator will become famous soon enough

Hey Windessa!

Im an artist and worked with this for 11 years fulltime. If you would like to color some of my work, just for fun or practice, just let me know. I posted some art my self here:
http://www.digitalwebbing.com/forums...ad.php?t=94062
http://www.digitalwebbing.com/forums...ad.php?t=94143

If you would like to have some lineart just let me know. It would be fun to see how you would color my art.
Just send me a PM
Take care
The Predator
The Predator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 02:30 AM   #15
Mecha
Boob Wrangler

Mecha is a name known to allMecha is a name known to allMecha is a name known to allMecha is a name known to allMecha is a name known to allMecha is a name known to allMecha is a name known to allMecha is a name known to allMecha is a name known to allMecha is a name known to all

Lynn: I know that many artists on DA require people to get their permission to use their work even in practice. And if you do so without their permission, they can have the images removed. Also, Luis Alonso is an inker friend of mine Both of us have to get permission for the lineart that we ink and post. And I know that Stalk from DA appreciates knowing who's been using his artwork

Windessa: If you go through my DA gallery (its in my signature here) and send me a PM with any of the inks you'd like to practice on, I have written permission for all of the pieces that aren't my own I'll even send you the high res if you'd like.

And a tip: What Lynn said in an above post about proceeding if you get a positive response or no response - if you get no response, you still might end up getting it removed depending on the artist. There's a few cranky ones

For truth, justice, and pie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mecha
See Jim I TOLD you, you can only lose it once!

Last edited by Mecha; 07-13-2006 at 02:33 AM.
Mecha is offline   Reply With Quote