Go Back   Digital Webbing Forums > Talent Engine > Creator Community

Old 07-14-2006, 12:21 AM   #1
Mecha
Boob Wrangler

Mecha is a name known to allMecha is a name known to allMecha is a name known to allMecha is a name known to allMecha is a name known to allMecha is a name known to allMecha is a name known to allMecha is a name known to allMecha is a name known to allMecha is a name known to all

Help! Need fast and affordable business card help ASAP

Hey guys I just wasted three weeks getting my business cards printed via Staples (since I worked for them at the time).

Not only were the cards expensive ($45 including tax for 500 cards), but they took longer than both the quoted turnaround times, and they look like cheap crap. They were supposed to be raised print, just black ink on bright white card. What I got was flat print that isn't even black black, on dingy white, flimsy cover or card stock (comparing it to the card stock I have at home it feels like cover stock). They didn't even implement the corrections that was sent to them in writing after I viewed the proof, which was nothing but a very bad fax printout of what the card supposedly turned out like.

It looks like I printed them at home on an inkjet printer. And I leave for San Diego on Monday.

Does anyone know any place that can do cards like the order I originally placed before the con starts? Otherwise I can't return these crappy cards for a refund because I need them by Wednesday afternoon (preview night).

Help! Please!

For truth, justice, and pie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mecha
See Jim I TOLD you, you can only lose it once!
Mecha is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 07-14-2006, 12:26 AM   #2
chris stevens

chris stevens is just really nicechris stevens is just really nicechris stevens is just really nicechris stevens is just really nicechris stevens is just really nicechris stevens is just really nice

hey, not trying to be a prick, mecha, but you worked for them and you're surprised at the results? just struck me funny. not ha-ha funny, just weird.
chris stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 12:39 AM   #3
Mecha
Boob Wrangler

Mecha is a name known to allMecha is a name known to allMecha is a name known to allMecha is a name known to allMecha is a name known to allMecha is a name known to allMecha is a name known to allMecha is a name known to allMecha is a name known to allMecha is a name known to all

I used the print and copy centre at the store I was working at because it was good quality. So even though the company was sh*tty to work for, I thought it was worth it to have my cards done through the business card printing place that they use. I duno if you know me, but I quit my job there last Friday.

I learned my lesson.

Quote:
Old 07-14-2006, 12:46 AM   #4
chris stevens

chris stevens is just really nicechris stevens is just really nicechris stevens is just really nicechris stevens is just really nicechris stevens is just really nicechris stevens is just really nice

yeah, like i said, not being a prick.
you're a good artist, i'm sure you'll have success in san diego one way or another. business cards won't make or break you. best of luck!
chris stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 12:48 AM   #5
starr63
Abnormal Inker

starr63 will become famous soon enough

I'm not sure how good their cards are but look at www.overnightprints.com
starr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 12:56 AM   #6
Mecha
Boob Wrangler

Chris: I know, I was just explaining how I made such an (honestly) stupid decision lol. I'm not just an inker though, so I didn't want a crappy looking card

Thanks Starr, I'm checking that out right now to see how it works.
Old 07-14-2006, 12:58 AM   #7
danedawg99
the Dawg-father

danedawg99 will become famous soon enoughdanedawg99 will become famous soon enough

vistaprint.com
try that, diana.
danedawg99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 01:23 AM   #8
Mecha
Boob Wrangler

Thanks guys but neither of them does raised print.

Quote:
Old 07-14-2006, 02:25 AM   #9
illojik
a.k.a. Jason Embury

illojik will become famous soon enough

yeah but overnight prints does DARN nice cards though. VERY high quality, glossy, thick cardstock, biz cards. I've used them for myself and for clients as well. if you don't need raised ink, then they're perfect.

The mandatory portfolio link, click me, click me...
illojik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 02:36 AM   #10
Mecha
Boob Wrangler

Yeah the design I have doesn't work in flat print... as I saw with the cards they gave me, which is why I ordered raised print.

Quote:
Old 07-14-2006, 03:25 AM   #11
DarkOra
Cosmically Challenged

DarkOra is just really niceDarkOra is just really niceDarkOra is just really niceDarkOra is just really niceDarkOra is just really nice

Some Fedex Kinko's can print up 500 cards in a few hours or less depending on how busy they are (and whether they can do the job in-house or not). Each one's gonna be different, so you'd need to call them to find out what their timeframe would be (I had one store tell me once it would take two weeks while a store just 4 miles from them said it would take 2 hours).

And there's actually a Fedex Kinko's in the San Diego Convention Center. I'm not sure if they do business card printing or just stick with regular document printing (because of their location), but you could call or email and find out. If they do offer business card printing (and you're confident you won't need to see a proof), you can actually email a pdf or tif to the store email account (they can provide that over the phone), and they might be able to have them printed up and waiting for you when you get there.
Old 07-14-2006, 09:34 AM   #12
joshm
Comic Book creator

joshm is on a distinguished road

I have found that every Kinko's is different, so if you can do the prints this weekend at one of your Kinko locations close to you it will be better. I know, however, that they do business cards very quickly, but they cost more. I'm gong to try printing mine at home first and if they don't come out right I'll get Kinko's to do it.

Good luck,

Josh
Old 07-14-2006, 01:13 PM   #13
MrGranger
I'm really Richard Corben

MrGranger is a jewel in the roughMrGranger is a jewel in the roughMrGranger is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by starr63
I'm not sure how good their cards are but look at www.overnightprints.com
Great actually...I use them a lot.
MrGranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 04:20 PM   #14
Piekos
Blambot Font Guy

Piekos has disabled reputation

Despite the fact that OvernightPrints.com doesn't do raised print, their quality is outstanding and really affordable. I have all my business cards, postcards, etc. printed through them now.

~N
Old 07-14-2006, 04:41 PM   #15
Mecha
Boob Wrangler

Just waiting to hear back if Overnight Prints ships to Canada... I couldn't find any places near me here so if they don't do that I'll just have to go with my Staples cards ^_^;;

Quote: