Go Back   Digital Webbing Forums > Talent Engine > Creator Community

Old 07-14-2006, 07:15 PM   #1
Ron Phillips
Are you terminal?

Ron Phillips has a reputation beyond reputeRon Phillips has a reputation beyond reputeRon Phillips has a reputation beyond reputeRon Phillips has a reputation beyond reputeRon Phillips has a reputation beyond reputeRon Phillips has a reputation beyond reputeRon Phillips has a reputation beyond reputeRon Phillips has a reputation beyond reputeRon Phillips has a reputation beyond reputeRon Phillips has a reputation beyond reputeRon Phillips has a reputation beyond repute

SDCC - What's it cost you?

I've never been, not going this year, but maybe there's hope for next year. But to do that, I need to budget now.

So how much do you guys spend on your SDCC week? Flight, Lodgings, Food and Transport all included.

Buy Ron's Books - on Amazon Kindle

Flash Fiction Friday - A community writing project

Shotgun Honey - a blast of fiction to blow your mind

Home | Twitter | Facebook |MySpace
Ron Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 07-14-2006, 07:17 PM   #2
danedawg99
the Dawg-father

danedawg99 will become famous soon enoughdanedawg99 will become famous soon enough

tell ya when i get back.
danedawg99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 07:25 PM   #3
MatthewMonster
Ninja....and Superspy !

MatthewMonster has a spectacular aura aboutMatthewMonster has a spectacular aura aboutMatthewMonster has a spectacular aura about

I'd love to go too. Im thinking its at least north of a grand. I guess it depends if you crashing on a couch or getting a hotel...and where your coming from...

Comicspace/matthewmonster
...I know you want another ComicSpace freind.

After School Knife Fight
Punk Rock Monster Fighting Maddness !!!
MatthewMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 07:48 PM   #4
joshm
Comic Book creator

joshm is on a distinguished road

I found flight and hotel deals for less than 700 at expedia.com, and if you want a car for a week it would be about 165 extra. So, all you have left is food and whatever gas or travel will cost. I guess you can say about 1000 with an extra 200 for miscellaneous. Personally, I plan for at least that much, but don't plan on spending it all. I figure if I do then fine, but if I end up with extra then I'm good.

Josh
Old 07-14-2006, 07:54 PM   #5
jrod
the moose in the closet

jrod will become famous soon enoughjrod will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshm
I found flight and hotel deals for less than 700 at expedia.com, and if you want a car for a week it would be about 165 extra. So, all you have left is food and whatever gas or travel will cost. I guess you can say about 1000 with an extra 200 for miscellaneous. Personally, I plan for at least that much, but don't plan on spending it all. I figure if I do then fine, but if I end up with extra then I'm good.

Josh
200 for miscellaneous...yeesh, that's close to my total bar tab for the three nights I was there last year. Bar tab was probably a bit higher.
jrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 08:02 PM   #6
D.J. Coffman
Is a Juggernaut

D.J. Coffman is just really niceD.J. Coffman is just really niceD.J. Coffman is just really niceD.J. Coffman is just really niceD.J. Coffman is just really niceD.J. Coffman is just really nice

I think this last minute trip is probably going to total me around 1300.

It was 950 total (taxes!) for a room for two nights nearby, the round trip non-stop flight .

if you're planning on staying the whole week, it's gonna run you around 2000 I bet-- although a crafty person could do this all MUCH cheaper.
D.J. Coffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 08:23 PM   #7
Cat
Evil Ginger Child

Cat is a splendid one to beholdCat is a splendid one to beholdCat is a splendid one to beholdCat is a splendid one to beholdCat is a splendid one to beholdCat is a splendid one to beholdCat is a splendid one to beholdCat is a splendid one to beholdCat is a splendid one to beholdCat is a splendid one to beholdCat is a splendid one to behold

well last year was not so bad..but this year!!! ARM AND A LEG!!!

AirbrushCat.com
Comic Art Fans Gallery
Deviant Art
Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 08:49 PM   #8
Mecha
Boob Wrangler

Mecha is a name known to allMecha is a name known to allMecha is a name known to allMecha is a name known to allMecha is a name known to allMecha is a name known to allMecha is a name known to allMecha is a name known to allMecha is a name known to allMecha is a name known to all

Airfare $300 US
Hotel for SDCC $200 US
Hotel for the second leg of my trip: $500 US
Travel by bus/taxi to/from airports: $75 US minimum (I have to take a Greyhound and a taxi 3 times each on my trip)

I have to put everything other than those things on my credit card

For truth, justice, and pie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mecha
See Jim I TOLD you, you can only lose it once!
Mecha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 08:56 PM   #9
Buckyrig
I Know Super Karate!

Buckyrig has disabled reputation

Yowza!

I could drive there and I have friends in SD, but I never bother going.

Maybe I should before I eventually leave this hole and save a pile of cash.
Buckyrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 09:00 PM   #10
Saraquael
Not a female.

Saraquael is on a distinguished road

Airfare - 120 ish
Hotel - 300-400
Food - 200-350... but I like to eat
Pruchases - Yeesh... 400+?
Old 07-14-2006, 09:31 PM   #11
T.J. May
Writer/SUMM Publications

T.J. May is a glorious beacon of lightT.J. May is a glorious beacon of lightT.J. May is a glorious beacon of lightT.J. May is a glorious beacon of lightT.J. May is a glorious beacon of lightT.J. May is a glorious beacon of lightT.J. May is a glorious beacon of light

This is for two of us travelling from Boston:

Airfare: $700
Hotel: $375

Booth: $450
Shipping Product: $300

We'll see how much food, transportation, and misc. kills me.

T
"[T.J. May's script] reminded me a bit of the kind of dark fable one might expect from Neil Gaiman...it definitely boasts that kind of strength."
--Don MacPherson (TheFourthRail.com)
www.tjmay.net
www.summ.net
T.J. May is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 09:38 PM   #12
Crazee Creator

Crazee Creator is on a distinguished road

Props / Books/ Supplies: $1500
Airfare / Hotel : $700.00
Food / Car Service/ Misc: TBD
Advertisements for appearance: $3,000.00

Anyone have any bottles and cans I can collect.
Crazee Creator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 10:55 PM   #13
D.J. Coffman
Is a Juggernaut

D.J. Coffman is just really niceD.J. Coffman is just really niceD.J. Coffman is just really niceD.J. Coffman is just really niceD.J. Coffman is just really niceD.J. Coffman is just really nice

Wow-- Crazee's prices there take me WAY back... I'm totally over spending that type of dough on the comic book land. I know all about that though!
D.J. Coffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 10:59 PM   #14
SDulaney
Pythonist (reform)

SDulaney is a glorious beacon of lightSDulaney is a glorious beacon of lightSDulaney is a glorious beacon of lightSDulaney is a glorious beacon of lightSDulaney is a glorious beacon of lightSDulaney is a glorious beacon of lightSDulaney is a glorious beacon of light

Ron,

Just a coupple of quick thoughts as you plan next year.

1) You want the "con wrangler" gig for next year? If at all possible, I'd like to try to lock in a booth for '07 before we leave town but you never know. Booth space is a big expense but getting it done early saves a bit of cash.

2) Remember this rule on hotels. The better the hotel and closer to the con center, the more expensive it's going to be. I think we were paying $160 a night at the Radisson (13 blocks) last year, this year I'm 3 blocks away at the Embassy and it's around $200 a night. Luckily we have enough in the room to spread that out. With you and the missus, you might want to split a room with another couple if you opt to stay closer to the con center rather than farther out. (Stay close and you don't have to stop drinking early to catch the shuttle. Those Pedi-Cab guys tire out around Broadway.)

3) Another hotel tip. High speed internet and a fast dailing finger will be your friend. They open the reservation desk usually in Jan/Feb and at that exact moment the internet breaks in half. If the site crashes, be dailing at the same time and you'll get through. Hopefully they'll have the convention hotel info up prior to R-Day 07 so you can spot what hotel has what you'll need. (for example, shuttle service to and from the airport or being on the convention shuttle route. Free breakfast and happy hour. Sleep-number beds.) If you want to be REALLY cheap, there's a couple of hostels in the gaslamp.

4) Plane tickets. I wound up paying about $300 after taxes and fees through the convention's travel agency. I could've flown a little cheaper through Southwest but I would've gotten into the hotel around 11pm and had a layover from hell in Denver. Instead, I'll be getting there about noon. I could've gotten the tickets cheaper but I was waiting to see if a buddy was flying out with me or not. Had he decided it wasn't in the card 30 days or so earlier, I would've been able to fly out for $260 at the most. If you can swing it, try to book your flight through the agency on Reservation Day or wait until around late March/early April when the Southwest reservation window includes the July convention dates.

5) Spending money/tourism. San diego is a beautiful city and there's lots to see and do. Luckily a lot of the attractions have it set up where you can order tickets online. If you do what I do (come in a day before preview night.) You can check out the sight and, theoretically, already have the zoo/ball game/tour of the Midway paid for before you left home. Food can be bought cheaply around Seaport Village, a few Gaslamp spots and at Ralph's. Beer is another matter. Expect $5-$6 bottles of Bud at the Hyatt. Something to be said for the beer sale at Ralph's (20 pk of bottles, 10.99 til Wednesday btw). On the con floor, my advice is make a want list...set a spending limit...and have a little extra set aside for that impulse buy. $500-$700 ought to get you through if you're watching it close.
SDulaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 11:01 PM   #15
MatthewMonster
Ninja....and Superspy !

MatthewMonster has a spectacular aura aboutMatthewMonster has a spectacular aura aboutMatthewMonster has a spectacular aura about

All I can hope is that the NYC CC gets ALOT better year to year....it'll cost me like subway fare lol

Comicspace/matthewmonster
...I know you want another ComicSpace freind.

After School Knife Fight
Punk Rock Monster Fighting Maddness !!!
MatthewMonster is offline   Reply With Quote