Go Back   Digital Webbing Forums > Talent Engine > Creator Community

Old 07-18-2006, 09:15 AM   #1
Henning Brazer
I'm down with love.

Henning Brazer is on a distinguished road

How many do you print & how much do you sell?

Hi Guys

The title is pretty self explanitory.

Of you small press guys out there - how many comics do you print of a new story and how many do you sell on average?

Do you print enough - or do you always have to go back and print some more?

And do you sell most of your comics at comic cons?

C'mon - share. You know you want to.

Life is about making love and eating good food - all the other things are just there to pass the time.
Henning Brazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 07-18-2006, 09:18 AM   #2
Jason Arthur
Starving Letterer

Jason Arthur is a glorious beacon of lightJason Arthur is a glorious beacon of lightJason Arthur is a glorious beacon of lightJason Arthur is a glorious beacon of lightJason Arthur is a glorious beacon of lightJason Arthur is a glorious beacon of lightJason Arthur is a glorious beacon of light

you're lucky to sale any and you almost always have too many.

Or at least that's what I've seen when I hung with my friends in Chicago who were trying to sale stuff.

-- J
Jason Arthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 09:35 AM   #3
Henning Brazer
I'm down with love.

Henning Brazer is on a distinguished road

But why is that? Is the cover price too high or the quality too low?

Do they really put a lot behind their marketing?

Life is about making love and eating good food - all the other things are just there to pass the time.
Henning Brazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 10:05 AM   #4
JasonM
Inmate of the Asylum!

JasonM is a jewel in the roughJasonM is a jewel in the roughJasonM is a jewel in the roughJasonM is a jewel in the rough

Raven (writer of The Gift from Image) taught me a very interesting lesson... The single most important thing when selling a book is to be excited about what you're selling. My books were doing crap and I was bummed until after he read my book and started doing the selling for me! It was that he was excited and so I got a lot more pumped and got back in the groove and turned what started out as a shitty con into a pretty good one! Then My girlfriend and I realized we lost some of our energy when doing the cons and that it was more about our lack of energy then the book, the price or anything else.

In short, I think how well your book performs at a con will of course have some to do with price and quality, but far more is how you sell it. If the creator isn't excited by the book, why should anyone else?

As for the original question, I print a thousand usually. It keeps the over all price low so I make profit without having to even sell that many, plus the last thing you want is to run out of the first book or two if it's an ongoing or mini. People want the first books, and if they can't get them they likely won't care about what comes later. Selling 1000 does leave me with leftovers of my trade, about 200 after a year, but since I've made a profit they can work anywhere from for promotion all the way to donating to a library for a tax deduction. I like the last one because not only do you get something out of it but so do people who may not normally see a comic.

Join the Ellium mailing list!
The_Ellium-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
JasonM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 10:44 AM   #5
jrod
the moose in the closet

jrod will become famous soon enoughjrod will become famous soon enough

For WToT we printed 2k and sold through most of all five issues.

For Elk's Run we printed...more...and now we use them for table cloths, napkins, paper airplanes...The Random House deal which guarantees issues 5-8 will never see print individually pretty much ensures that a lot of issues 1-4 will eventually end up in the recycle bin. Storage costs money, after all, and thereís a point you reach where the amount you spend storing books (provided you donít have a garage or you donít mind have cardboard box tables) becomes greater than the amount youíd make selling them

It varies from book to book. Keep it conservative - 1k to 2k. The less capital you have tied up in an issue of a book the more capital you have to print other books, after all.
jrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 12:27 PM   #6
ehobbs

ehobbs is on a distinguished road

I'll second what Jason says. Any first timer should study the way Raven pitches his work to fans. I guarantee you walk away a better salesman of your own book.
Old 07-18-2006, 01:30 PM   #7
L Jamal
ljamal.com

L Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud of

Your print run really depends on how much profit you want and how many books you want to store. If you are going with a traditional printer then you'll have to print at least 1000 or a black and white comic (2-3K of a full color book).If you're going POD, then at least 50 because that's the price when the set of fees don't drastically increase the unit price of the books.

If you are moving less than 500 books, then look into POD.

FOR ALL YOUR WEB AND PRINT NEEDS
PORTFOLIO
L Jamal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 02:47 PM   #8
Jason Arthur
Starving Letterer

Jason Arthur is a glorious beacon of lightJason Arthur is a glorious beacon of lightJason Arthur is a glorious beacon of lightJason Arthur is a glorious beacon of lightJason Arthur is a glorious beacon of lightJason Arthur is a glorious beacon of lightJason Arthur is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henning Brazer

Probably because nobody on the cover is wearing their underwear outside a pair of spandex or any women on the cover have more than 3 cenitmeters of clothing on.

-- J
Old 07-18-2006, 03:16 PM   #9
jrod
the moose in the closet

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonArthur
Probably because nobody on the cover is wearing their underwear outside a pair of spandex or any women on the cover have more than 3 cenitmeters of clothing on.

-- J
I'm not trying to be a smart ass but companies like Top Shelf, Oni, Adhouse, :01 Second, Ait, Pantheon, Avatar, Penny Farthing, Arcaia Studios Press, D & Q, Fantagraphics, NBM, SLG, and, often, Image, IDW, and Vertigo don't seem to have that problem, to name a few publishers.

People do buy non-superhero books, if they're good and marketed effectively.
Old 07-18-2006, 03:32 PM   #10
Buckyrig
I Know Super Karate!

Buckyrig has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrod
I'm sure it helps to have a fan in the press.
Buckyrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 03:40 PM   #11
jrod
the moose in the closet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckyrig
I'm sure it helps to have a fan in the press.
Being that the press tends to be fans of the medium in general that's not too difficult, either.
Old 07-18-2006, 04:51 PM   #12
Jason Arthur
Starving Letterer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrod
Yes, all 500 of us buy those types of books.

Most of the publishers you listed above would consider selling 5000 copies of a book to be a HUGE success. That's sad, but it's the way it goes.

Now if you stick a nearly naked woman on the cover of your book and sell it at a convention (wait...is that what we're talking about? or just selling in general...I might be confused here) then it's gonna sell like hotcakes.

So, in summation...put a naked woman on your book and maybe use the word "Blood" or have a big "X" somewhere on the cover and you'll do well.

-- J
Old 07-18-2006, 05:00 PM   #13
L Jamal
ljamal.com

L Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henning Brazer

Attempting to sale to the wrong crowd.

FOR ALL YOUR WEB AND PRINT NEEDS
PORTFOLIO
L Jamal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 05:44 PM   #14
D.J. Coffman
Is a Juggernaut

D.J. Coffman is just really niceD.J. Coffman is just really niceD.J. Coffman is just really niceD.J. Coffman is just really niceD.J. Coffman is just really niceD.J. Coffman is just really nice

Man, I lose absolutely ZERO dollars on my work now. I'll never go back to the lame old way of doing things.

Bam-- I put up a two week presale, say I sell 400 books-- I simply have 400 or a little more for stock printed up. BAM. Money in the bank...rem... off to be bills and advertising dollars.... sigh! heh

But still, it beats the hell out of sitting on cases of books. Fug that crap!
D.J. Coffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 05:53 PM   #15
jrod
the moose in the closet

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonArthur
Yes, all 500 of us buy those types of books.

Most of the publishers you listed above would consider selling 5000 copies of a book to be a HUGE success. That's sad, but it's the way it goes.

Now if you stick a nearly naked woman on the cover of your book and sell it at a convention (wait...is that what we're talking about? or just selling in general...I might be confused here) then it's gonna sell like hotcakes.

So, in summation...put a naked woman on your book and maybe use the word "Blood" or have a big "X" somewhere on the cover and you'll do well.

-- J
Well maybe not necessarily bad. A lot of these places are two or three man ops so their overhead is much, much lower and their profit margins are much, much higher. They can do well with 5000 copies of a book.

And youíre right Ė we are talking about cons Ė I got off a bit - the only experience I have is selling WToT and Elkís Run at a con and they both seemed to sell well but I really donít have any sort of basis for comparison with a cheesecake book.

But the whole naked woman on the cover equals sales Ė I donít know, itís been my experience, at least, from talking to folks, that most people looking outside of marvel and DC are actually looking outside of marvel & DC. It could be why the companies Iíve listed have stayed around so long and built an audience whereas most of the marvel/DC clones seem to show up for a year or two before disappearing.

Iím just saying, it tends to take more than tits on a cover to sell a book. And you can sell a book without having tits on a cover.

Usually.