Go Back   Digital Webbing Forums > Talent Engine > Creator Community

Closed Thread

Old 07-24-2006, 10:10 PM   #1
Baron Spider
the name says it all

Baron Spider is on a distinguished road

Arcana Studio

i was thinking of submitting a comic to them and was wondering if anyone has any experience working with them.
thanx
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 07-24-2006, 11:17 PM   #2
Jason Powell
"B.R.U.F."

Jason Powell has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Spider
i was thinking of submitting a comic to them and was wondering if anyone has any experience working with them.
thanx
I have known Sean (the owner) for years now and he is doing one of my projects (if it gets done ) so I think I can tell you best. Sean offers a fair deal. Not the best in the industry, not the worst (far from it). He has always proven to be stand up in most cases, which says a lot. Understand, you'll get what you put in to the project (not saying money per say, I have lost thousands, but I have learned a lot). I think, for an Indy it is great place to start and you may decide to stay.

-SIN-
GATOR
Old 10-01-2008, 03:27 AM   #3
powerbomb1411

powerbomb1411 is on a distinguished road

It's been two years. They're still around. Heard good things about them. I just learned about them a couple weeks ago. Heard of them before that, but nothing more then a company name that wasn't who I was looking for.

Anyone know what they're like now?
Old 10-01-2008, 09:21 AM   #4
maverick

maverick is just really nicemaverick is just really nicemaverick is just really nicemaverick is just really nicemaverick is just really nicemaverick is just really nice

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure they don't offer a creator owned agreement.
Old 10-01-2008, 09:26 AM   #5
Mwynn
On THE EDGE

Mwynn has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick
I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure they don't offer a creator owned agreement.
http://www.arcanacomics.com/submission.php

The Edge Online

The Edge Facebook
Old 10-01-2008, 10:39 AM   #6
maverick

maverick is just really nicemaverick is just really nicemaverick is just really nicemaverick is just really nicemaverick is just really nicemaverick is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwynn
doesn't say anything about the agreement at this link ....
Old 10-01-2008, 10:44 AM   #7
Mwynn
On THE EDGE

Quote:
doesn't say anything about the agreement at this link ....
Of course not that agreement would be private. All they publish is creator owned books.

The Edge Online

The Edge Facebook
Old 10-01-2008, 11:39 AM   #8
maverick

Do they? I'm saying that I think maybe they don't.

If the agreement is not creator owned, then they would not be publishing creator owned books now would they?

The page you link to says they will help "develop and establish your intellectual property" -- no verbage about retaining your rights to said property.

Having a character/comic you created published does not always mean it will be a creator owned deal.
Old 10-01-2008, 11:51 AM   #9
Mwynn
On THE EDGE

Quote:
Do they? I'm saying that I think maybe they don't.

If the agreement is not creator owned, then they would not be publishing creator owned books now would they?

The page you link to says they will help "develop and establish your intellectual property" -- no verbage about retaining your rights to said property.

Having a character/comic you created published does not always mean it will be a creator owned deal.
It is a creator owned deal.

The Edge Online

The Edge Facebook
Old 10-01-2008, 11:55 AM   #10
Calloway
I haz cookiez an kool-aid

Calloway has much to be proud ofCalloway has much to be proud ofCalloway has much to be proud ofCalloway has much to be proud ofCalloway has much to be proud ofCalloway has much to be proud ofCalloway has much to be proud ofCalloway has much to be proud ofCalloway has much to be proud ofCalloway has much to be proud ofCalloway has much to be proud of

Fact is you don't know for sure do you Marv?

The ONLY way to know is to contact Sean. Unless someone here's been published, in which case Jason can answer the question.

Personally I can't see why it wouldn't be but you never know.
Old 10-01-2008, 11:57 AM   #11
Mwynn
On THE EDGE

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilGreenMan
Fact is you don't know for sure do you Marv?

The ONLY way to know is to contact Sean. Unless someone here's been published, in which case Jason can answer the question.

Personally I can't see why it wouldn't be but you never know.
As posted above it is a Creator Owned Deal.

The Edge Online

The Edge Facebook
Old 10-01-2008, 12:04 PM   #12
maverick

http://www.squidworks.com/forums/ind...sg2524#msg2524
Old 10-01-2008, 12:05 PM   #13
jimmybott
jimmybott.deviantart.com

jimmybott is a glorious beacon of lightjimmybott is a glorious beacon of lightjimmybott is a glorious beacon of lightjimmybott is a glorious beacon of lightjimmybott is a glorious beacon of lightjimmybott is a glorious beacon of lightjimmybott is a glorious beacon of light

LOL @ Mwynn. You just keep getting ignored huh . Shadowflame was published through Arcana right?

I was under the impression that Arcana, like many other indy companies at the moment, want a stake in the ownership for publishing the title. Something like Arcana owns 50% of the property and it's licences from "10 years from last publication" or something like that.

This is becoming more common with indy publishers at the moment. Some have developed strong ties with media companies to sell the rights. They assume they'll make little to nothing on the sales of the book but split the money from media rights with you. I can't really say I blame them, but I would prefer to self publish and completely own my property.
Old 10-01-2008, 12:07 PM   #14
Mwynn
On THE EDGE

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmybott
LOL @ Mwynn. You just keep getting ignored huh . Shadowflame was published through Arcana right?

I was under the impression that Arcana, like many other indy companies at the moment, want a stake in the ownership for publishing the title. Something like Arcana owns 50% of the property and it's licences from "10 years from last publication" or something like that.

This is becoming more common with indy publishers at the moment. Some have developed strong ties with media companies to sell the rights. They assume they'll make little to nothing on the sales of the book but split the money from media rights with you. I can't really say I blame them, but I would prefer to self publish and completely own my property.
I guess i do, thats okay though. Things may have changed with the deal with Platinum. Yet I will leave it at that. I'm not discussing private numbers.

The Edge Online

The Edge Facebook
Old 10-01-2008, 12:09 PM   #15
maverick

I see no harm in an indy publisher wanting a stake in the ownership of your property in exchange for publishing the title. They are a business after all. And like jimmy said many have good connections.
Closed Thread