Go Back   Digital Webbing Forums > Talent Engine > Creator Community

Old 07-25-2006, 05:42 PM   #1
HaphazardJoy
BANGARANG!

HaphazardJoy is a splendid one to beholdHaphazardJoy is a splendid one to beholdHaphazardJoy is a splendid one to beholdHaphazardJoy is a splendid one to beholdHaphazardJoy is a splendid one to beholdHaphazardJoy is a splendid one to beholdHaphazardJoy is a splendid one to beholdHaphazardJoy is a splendid one to beholdHaphazardJoy is a splendid one to beholdHaphazardJoy is a splendid one to beholdHaphazardJoy is a splendid one to behold

Using a name that's already in use...?

I've had this comic idea tumbling around in my head for a long while, and was tossing around 'codenames' for characters, and wanted to use the name Fahrenheit for a character who controls temperature. Now there's a Wildstorm character, different gender, different kind of concept, but same name and similar powers. Now I know there's other cases of the same name being used by multiple companies, similar concept even like Marvel and DC both having Scarecrow villains.
Would this be a legal issue?

http://www.last.fm/user/HaphazardJoy
http://www.shelfari.com/HaphazardJoy/shelf
HaphazardJoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 07-25-2006, 05:50 PM   #2
The-Spirit

The-Spirit is a name known to allThe-Spirit is a name known to allThe-Spirit is a name known to allThe-Spirit is a name known to allThe-Spirit is a name known to allThe-Spirit is a name known to allThe-Spirit is a name known to allThe-Spirit is a name known to allThe-Spirit is a name known to all

I don't know but I wouldn't risk it. Try re-spelling it or adding something, like FairenHeil like a German Nazi character or Fahrenhight for a Giant type flame character.

Or Fahrenheit 451 or something, I can't think of anything better but I roll names around for awhile.
The-Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 06:03 PM   #3
HaphazardJoy
BANGARANG!

HaphazardJoy is a splendid one to beholdHaphazardJoy is a splendid one to beholdHaphazardJoy is a splendid one to beholdHaphazardJoy is a splendid one to beholdHaphazardJoy is a splendid one to beholdHaphazardJoy is a splendid one to beholdHaphazardJoy is a splendid one to beholdHaphazardJoy is a splendid one to beholdHaphazardJoy is a splendid one to beholdHaphazardJoy is a splendid one to beholdHaphazardJoy is a splendid one to behold

Hmmm... Celsius? Kelvin?

But no, I'd really like to use Fahrenheit, harumph.

Old 07-25-2006, 06:06 PM   #4
Gonzogoose
An Endless Fire Grows

Gonzogoose is just really niceGonzogoose is just really niceGonzogoose is just really niceGonzogoose is just really niceGonzogoose is just really nice

The worst that can happen is they send out a cease and desist, then you have to change it. Check for copyrights on the name. But with similar powers that might be touchy.
WANT MY COMIC, THE LAST EMBER #0 FOR FREE?! CLICK HERE!
Last Ember Press
Zone 4 Podcast
Comic Frontline
Gonzogoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 06:15 PM   #5
HaphazardJoy
BANGARANG!

You can't copyright just the name, but you could make a trademark of it. It's the combination of that with the powers (which is an obvious power for the name) that worries me. I mean, Marvel and DC having a Scarecrow villain each who scares people, that makes me feel a little better. Obviously I don't want to rip anyone else off, but I would like to use the name. I just don't know where the line falls.

Old 07-25-2006, 06:24 PM   #6
L Jamal
ljamal.com

L Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud of

Actually Marvel's Scarecrow was originally an contortionist acrobat.
Unless there is a pressing reason for the character to have the same name, I would use another name. They don;t have to send a cease and desist as they can just sue. Cease and Desists are courtesies sent out to avoid spending money on lawsuits

FOR ALL YOUR WEB AND PRINT NEEDS
PORTFOLIO
L Jamal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 06:30 PM   #7
HaphazardJoy
BANGARANG!

Yeah, but he also developed a 'scare' pheremone.

I was originally thinking the name Helios, but I know that's another Marvel character and I've seen someone else around here working on something with that name too.

Old 07-25-2006, 06:38 PM   #8
Buckyrig
I Know Super Karate!

Buckyrig has disabled reputation

The idea of cracking down merely on a name will have to go away eventually. I mean, eventually we'll run out of words...they can't all be off limits.
Buckyrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 06:42 PM   #9
HaphazardJoy
BANGARANG!

Well that, and especially such obvious names. Typhon is another name I was looking at, and again, both Marvel and DC have characters of that name (very different characters, Marvel being directly based on the figure from myth). I mean, Marvel couldn't stop someone from doing their own Thor comic, could they?
You can't copyright just a character, but use that character in a piece of fiction and it's protected, where are the lines? I know with cases like mythology or commonly told stories, that the general ideas and plots can be used by multiple people as much as they like.

Old 07-25-2006, 08:03 PM   #10
L Jamal
ljamal.com

L Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud of

The Thors are based upon the myth which is within Public Domain. In theory as long as you didn't use the character's name as a title for your book, it would not be a problem. However, consult a intellectual propperty lawyer before committing too much.

FOR ALL YOUR WEB AND PRINT NEEDS
PORTFOLIO
L Jamal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 10:35 PM   #11
the other mike

the other mike has a spectacular aura aboutthe other mike has a spectacular aura about

spaeking of names and copyrights...
is the word "super-human" (or was it "superhero"?) still copyrighted? i seem to remember the term being owened by marvel and/or dc....

cool hero names are becoming harder and harder to think up.

The Other Mike's Art Depot
the other mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 10:52 PM   #12
Buckyrig
I Know Super Karate!

Buckyrig has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljamal
The Thors are based upon the myth which is within Public Domain. In theory as long as you didn't use the character's name as a title for your book, it would not be a problem. However, consult a intellectual propperty lawyer before committing too much.
Is that a specialty now...or would you just go to an entertainment lawyer?
Buckyrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 02:02 AM   #13
HaphazardJoy
BANGARANG!

I read something just recently about DC and Marvel doing tagteam facist action on trying to pin down 'superhero' as their mutual property. For now I think it's still safe, until the corporations take over our souls.

Old 07-26-2006, 03:21 AM   #14
ShanE
Digital Chameleon

Location: the tree, the rock, the air around you...its all Concept Art
ShanE has a spectacular aura aboutShanE has a spectacular aura about

Yeah jsut go with something that means the same thing in another language. or older belief system of an ancient race.
ShanE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 04:14 AM   #15
Kel Nuttall
DWP EIC & BMF

Kel Nuttall is just really niceKel Nuttall is just really niceKel Nuttall is just really niceKel Nuttall is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaphazardJoy
I read something just recently about DC and Marvel doing tagteam facist action on trying to pin down 'superhero' as their mutual property. For now I think it's still safe, until the corporations take over our souls.
This is very old news that someone recently did a story on and the younger generation thinks it's new news. They jointly own superhero and super-hero and they have for a quite a while....since the late 70's I believe.
Kel Nuttall is offline   Reply With Quote