Go Back   Digital Webbing Forums > Talent Engine > Creator Community

Old 07-26-2006, 12:49 PM   #1
Awesomus Prime
Guns go SQUONK!

Awesomus Prime has a spectacular aura aboutAwesomus Prime has a spectacular aura aboutAwesomus Prime has a spectacular aura about

POD Question

Not so much interested in whether or not POD is worth while, I understand it has it's ups and downs.

Question is thus, I've been hopping around Ka-Blam's site and I wonder if anyone who's used them knows what kind of binding is used? Are we talking two staple magazine style or soft cover book style binding? Does selecting cardstock make that difference?

Further do any other POD services offer book style binding as opposed to traditional 'magazine style'?

I suspect that the cardstock option gives me a book style cover (ala manga comic book format) but I don't want to make an assumption and then find out I was wrong 200 copies later.

Old 07-26-2006, 12:54 PM   #2
L Jamal
ljamal.com

L Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud of

Ka-Blam offer saddle-stitching. That's folded down the middle and stapled.

For perfect (square) bound (glued to a spine like TPBs), there's ComixPress.com, DreamweaverPress.com, and RapidPOD.com. Be sure to do your research as each have their own brand of problems.

FOR ALL YOUR WEB AND PRINT NEEDS
PORTFOLIO
L Jamal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 01:00 PM   #3
eDuke

eDuke is a splendid one to beholdeDuke is a splendid one to beholdeDuke is a splendid one to beholdeDuke is a splendid one to beholdeDuke is a splendid one to beholdeDuke is a splendid one to beholdeDuke is a splendid one to beholdeDuke is a splendid one to beholdeDuke is a splendid one to beholdeDuke is a splendid one to beholdeDuke is a splendid one to behold

POD? BloodRayne: Plague of Dreams? Cool!
Old 07-26-2006, 01:03 PM   #4
L Jamal
ljamal.com

L Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud of

^pimp^

PORTFOLIO
Old 07-26-2006, 01:04 PM   #5
eDuke

eDuke is a splendid one to beholdeDuke is a splendid one to beholdeDuke is a splendid one to beholdeDuke is a splendid one to beholdeDuke is a splendid one to beholdeDuke is a splendid one to beholdeDuke is a splendid one to beholdeDuke is a splendid one to beholdeDuke is a splendid one to beholdeDuke is a splendid one to beholdeDuke is a splendid one to behold

My website. My rules.
Old 07-26-2006, 07:22 PM   #6
Paul Sanderson
Dread Avenger

Paul Sanderson has much to be proud ofPaul Sanderson has much to be proud ofPaul Sanderson has much to be proud ofPaul Sanderson has much to be proud ofPaul Sanderson has much to be proud ofPaul Sanderson has much to be proud ofPaul Sanderson has much to be proud ofPaul Sanderson has much to be proud ofPaul Sanderson has much to be proud ofPaul Sanderson has much to be proud ofPaul Sanderson has much to be proud of

classic.
www.trinitycomics.com
www.twitter.com/Trinity_Comics
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Trinit...43120692428699

Personal site: www.frankdirscherl.com
Paul Sanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 08:09 PM   #7
Lynn Lefey
Loki's plaything

Lynn Lefey is on a distinguished road

I just got my books from Ka-Blam, and I'm rather pleased. They are indeed saddle stitched. Paper is of good bright white stock. Cover is glossy, slightly heavier stock.

The only weirdnesses about the book is that you can literally feel the black areas, as they are slightly raised from the print material, and it doesn't smell like a normal comic, since it uses a toner based color instead of printed ink. It's funny that I'd even notice something like that, but the smell of comics is a very old, very loved scent.

Ka-Blam ONLY does saddle-stitched comics right now, but may change that in the future. If you use Ka-Blam, tell them I recommended them, so I get a discount on my next printing!
Lynn Lefey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 08:19 PM   #8
Paul Sanderson
Dread Avenger

Paul Sanderson has much to be proud ofPaul Sanderson has much to be proud ofPaul Sanderson has much to be proud ofPaul Sanderson has much to be proud ofPaul Sanderson has much to be proud ofPaul Sanderson has much to be proud ofPaul Sanderson has much to be proud ofPaul Sanderson has much to be proud ofPaul Sanderson has much to be proud ofPaul Sanderson has much to be proud ofPaul Sanderson has much to be proud of

Has anyone here used RapidPOD yet? If so, how do they stack up?
www.trinitycomics.com
www.twitter.com/Trinity_Comics
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Trinit...43120692428699

Personal site: www.frankdirscherl.com
Paul Sanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 08:24 PM   #9
Ron Phillips
Are you terminal?

Ron Phillips has a reputation beyond reputeRon Phillips has a reputation beyond reputeRon Phillips has a reputation beyond reputeRon Phillips has a reputation beyond reputeRon Phillips has a reputation beyond reputeRon Phillips has a reputation beyond reputeRon Phillips has a reputation beyond reputeRon Phillips has a reputation beyond reputeRon Phillips has a reputation beyond reputeRon Phillips has a reputation beyond reputeRon Phillips has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn Lefey
I just got my books from Ka-Blam, and I'm rather pleased. They are indeed saddle stitched. Paper is of good bright white stock. Cover is glossy, slightly heavier stock.

The only weirdnesses about the book is that you can literally feel the black areas, as they are slightly raised from the print material, and it doesn't smell like a normal comic, since it uses a toner based color instead of printed ink. It's funny that I'd even notice something like that, but the smell of comics is a very old, very loved scent.

Ka-Blam ONLY does saddle-stitched comics right now, but may change that in the future. If you use Ka-Blam, tell them I recommended them, so I get a discount on my next printing!
The raised ink is standard with POD. The process is placing ink on top of the page and not pressing it into the page.

Buy Ron's Books - on Amazon Kindle

Flash Fiction Friday - A community writing project

Shotgun Honey - a blast of fiction to blow your mind

Home | Twitter | Facebook |MySpace
Ron Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 12:53 AM   #10
T.J. May
Writer/SUMM Publications

T.J. May is a glorious beacon of lightT.J. May is a glorious beacon of lightT.J. May is a glorious beacon of lightT.J. May is a glorious beacon of lightT.J. May is a glorious beacon of lightT.J. May is a glorious beacon of lightT.J. May is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesomus Prime
ver book style binding? Does selecting cardstock make that difference?

Further do any other POD services offer book style binding as opposed to traditional 'magazine style'?

I suspect that the cardstock option gives me a book style cover (ala manga comic book format) but I don't want to make an assumption and then find out I was wrong 200 copies later.
The page count effects the binding more than the cover stock. PODs that can perfect bind usually require 80+ pages for perfect binding, and many cannot print on the spine for some reason.

Catching Lucifer's Lunch is 56-pages and perfect bound, with printed spine, but that was done at Quebecor.
"[T.J. May's script] reminded me a bit of the kind of dark fable one might expect from Neil Gaiman...it definitely boasts that kind of strength."
--Don MacPherson (TheFourthRail.com)
www.tjmay.net
www.summ.net
T.J. May is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 12:58 AM   #11
L Jamal
ljamal.com

Dreamweaver goes down to about 32 pages.
The ability to print on the spine really depends on how thick you spine is.

PORTFOLIO
Old 07-27-2006, 01:02 AM   #12
T.J. May
Writer/SUMM Publications

T.J. May is a glorious beacon of lightT.J. May is a glorious beacon of lightT.J. May is a glorious beacon of lightT.J. May is a glorious beacon of lightT.J. May is a glorious beacon of lightT.J. May is a glorious beacon of lightT.J. May is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljamal
Dreamweaver goes down to about 32 pages.
The ability to print on the spine really depends on how thick you spine is.
Yeah, I've seen some PODs that won't do spine printing even on the 80 pagers though. Not sure why, Jason has all the answers when it comes to printing.
"[T.J. May's script] reminded me a bit of the kind of dark fable one might expect from Neil Gaiman...it definitely boasts that kind of strength."
www.tjmay.net
www.summ.net
Old 07-27-2006, 01:22 AM   #13
L Jamal
ljamal.com

The usual problem is the shifting. I'm thinking about making a huge 100 page art of Warmageddon tome.

PORTFOLIO
Old 07-27-2006, 07:52 AM   #14
Awesomus Prime
Guns go SQUONK!

Awesomus Prime has a spectacular aura aboutAwesomus Prime has a spectacular aura aboutAwesomus Prime has a spectacular aura about

Hmmm.. I want to go with Ka-Blam but I also think perfect binding really just looks better than saddle stiching. Like perfect bound looks more published.

It's funny I've never felt this way BUYING a book but now making one I feel other people buying MY book will feel that way.
Old 07-27-2006, 09:03 AM   #15
T.J. May
Writer/SUMM Publications

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesomus Prime
Hmmm.. I want to go with Ka-Blam but I also think perfect binding really just looks better than saddle stiching. Like perfect bound looks more published.
Well, we were warned but went ahead and did it anyway. When you get up to a page count that requires perfect binding you are upping the cover price of the book. Catching Lucifer's Lunch is $5.99 which most people that bought the book found it to be well worth it.

But.........

jason and I aren't big enough names yet to get people outside of DW or whom meet us at cons to buy a book with that kind of price tag. Our $3.00 32-page, saddle-stitched books sell like hotcakes. So, we didn't move very many copies due primarily to the cover price. We are now talking with Diamond about reoffering that book at a reduced price just to move stock and get back some cash.

Plus, if you are thinking about the book trade, the word on the street is that you need to have a product of 125+ pages to get the attention of the book distributors. Why? Because they are in love with Manga and want more product that offers there customers more for their money. But again, you'll need to establish a name before doing that.

I don;t know you, so if you've already established a name for yourself than this may not pply to you.

My best
T
www.tjmay.net
www.summ.net