Go Back   Digital Webbing Forums > Talent Engine > Creator Community

Old 07-27-2006, 10:56 AM   #1
j giar
Has nothing to add.

j giar has much to be proud ofj giar has much to be proud ofj giar has much to be proud ofj giar has much to be proud ofj giar has much to be proud ofj giar has much to be proud ofj giar has much to be proud ofj giar has much to be proud ofj giar has much to be proud ofj giar has much to be proud ofj giar has much to be proud of

Question Art and Production Question?

To all of you already producing and pedaling your wares. This morning I met with some very helpful and knowledgeable folks at officemax. What I had done was converted some of my pencils to blueline in photoshop and saved them to disk. Yesterday I talked with a gentleman who offered to let me email the files and he would have someone run proofs. The main problem was that they were not willing to print it out on my bristolboard but they were willig to print it out on heavy card stock. This was due to warranty issues with the manufacturer of their printer. Picked them up this morning and I think this is going to work out. The reason for all this is I do not have a means to scan or print out 11x17 at my studio..yet.
So they originally quoted me 1.70 a copy. Today I had them run a couple extra's, in case I screw one up. Then they quoted me 1.35 a copy. I expalined what I was doing and that for the time being, if it was economically viable, I would have all my pencils converted and then printed with them. At that time they quoted me 1.10 per page and I believe with alittle more negotiating I might get them down to a buck a page. DOes this soound like a reasonable price to you folks and how much, granted depending on issues printed, would this affect the costs of the production of the book? Thanks to anyone who replies. JIm G
Panel continuity and storytelling should be the primary objective of all GOOD comic book art.
j giar is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 07-27-2006, 11:02 AM   #2
L Jamal
ljamal.com

L Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud of

$1/ page is great.
I've done it and it was about $2 each.
My bristol is about 50˘ each

The cardstock works well it you use a nib or pens to ink.

FOR ALL YOUR WEB AND PRINT NEEDS
PORTFOLIO
L Jamal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 11:11 AM   #3
j giar
Has nothing to add.

j giar has much to be proud ofj giar has much to be proud ofj giar has much to be proud ofj giar has much to be proud ofj giar has much to be proud ofj giar has much to be proud ofj giar has much to be proud ofj giar has much to be proud ofj giar has much to be proud ofj giar has much to be proud ofj giar has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljamal
$1/ page is great.
I've done it and it was about $2 each.
My bristol is about 50˘ each

The cardstock works well it you use a nib or pens to ink.
Thanks Jamal! I'm excited. I've had the pencils taped to my lightbox for like 3 weeks and tried once to ink and just felt really resticted not being able to move the page while I ink. I am using pen and brush to ink. It seemed like a reasonable price and like I said the folks that helped me out were awesome and genuinely were interested in what I was doing..more than just blowing me off.
Panel continuity and storytelling should be the primary objective of all GOOD comic book art.
Old 07-27-2006, 11:20 AM   #4
JasonM
Inmate of the Asylum!

JasonM is a jewel in the roughJasonM is a jewel in the roughJasonM is a jewel in the roughJasonM is a jewel in the rough

Go cheaper by printing as a light gray instead of blue, just a thought. Works for me but I'm doing something slightly different.

Join the Ellium mailing list!
The_Ellium-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
JasonM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 11:49 AM   #5
L Jamal
ljamal.com

L Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud of

That would be cheaper.

FOR ALL YOUR WEB AND PRINT NEEDS
PORTFOLIO
L Jamal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 11:52 AM   #6
j giar
Has nothing to add.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljamal
That would be cheaper.
But will it reproduce with the inks? The light gray as opposed to blue?
Thanks Jason..by the way. Not snubbin or anything.
Old 07-27-2006, 12:00 PM   #7
JasonM
Inmate of the Asylum!

JasonM is a jewel in the roughJasonM is a jewel in the roughJasonM is a jewel in the roughJasonM is a jewel in the rough

I do it at 10%-15% (depending on how dark the pencil is) then after I scan it, a little contrast takes care of the gray and leaves the ink.

Edit: It really requires the pencils to be fairly level in darkness. If there's a HUGE difference you won't be able to print that light for fear of loosing entire lines, then you'll need to do a whiteout pass to get rid of the darker marks.

Old 07-27-2006, 12:01 PM   #8
j giar
Has nothing to add.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonM
I do it at 10%-15% (depending on how dark the pencil is) then after I scan it, a little contrast takes care of the gray and leaves the ink.
Thanks Jason...I may get a price from them and see what happens.
Old 07-27-2006, 12:02 PM   #9
JasonM
Inmate of the Asylum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by j giar
Thanks Jason...I may get a price from them and see what happens.
You'll be shocked as to how much money you'll save, especially when you factor in the cost of 22+ pages!

Old 07-27-2006, 12:04 PM   #10
j giar
Has nothing to add.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonM
You'll be shocked as to how much money you'll save, especially when you factor in the cost of 22+ pages!
Really?! That much of a diffence? What percentage of gray do you suggest?
Remember I'm an old blind guy!
Old 07-27-2006, 12:24 PM   #11
JasonM
Inmate of the Asylum!

I started out at 20% and found my self quickly dropping it to 10% opacity. Basically this would take the darkest line on the page and put it to only 10% of what it was, but I use very dark pencils which arent the norm. 20% would likey be a good starting place to try a page or two, but thats just a guess.

Old 07-27-2006, 01:56 PM   #12
j giar
Has nothing to add.

Thnaks for the help Jason! Much appreciated!