Go Back   Digital Webbing Forums > Talent Engine > Creator Community

Old 07-27-2006, 08:54 PM   #1
WickedWiggins

WickedWiggins is on a distinguished road

Is it too late?

I'm just curious but, is it too late to get into creating comics if you've not read them since your childhood?
WickedWiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 07-27-2006, 08:55 PM   #2
Buckyrig
I Know Super Karate!

Buckyrig has disabled reputation

It might actually be an advantage. You're not bogged down in the same old same old...but you should probably do some catch-up reading.
Buckyrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 09:02 PM   #3
Phatman
Midi-chlorians are a lie!

Phatman has much to be proud ofPhatman has much to be proud ofPhatman has much to be proud ofPhatman has much to be proud ofPhatman has much to be proud ofPhatman has much to be proud ofPhatman has much to be proud ofPhatman has much to be proud ofPhatman has much to be proud ofPhatman has much to be proud ofPhatman has much to be proud of

It might be cool to see somebody without any recent influences take a stab at it. Trends go in cycles anyway and what you liked 20 years ago will be around again anyway. Give it a shot.
Phatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 10:27 PM   #4
Scott Story
www.johnnysaturn.com

Scott Story has disabled reputation

I doubt it would have any negative influence on you at all.
Scott Story is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 10:37 PM   #5
innocentboy

innocentboy has disabled reputation

depends what your goals are for creating those comics

for fame and fortune?
to dazzle the lovely ladies?
to get a movie deal?
to work for one of the big companies?
just for something to do?
self-esteem?
etc.

"NICE ARTWORK. I RESPECT YOUR TALENT ... REAL RECOGNIZE REAL" - Ill Bill

"NUFF TALENT..! BIG UP..!" - MC Skibadee

"CHECK THIS BOOK OUT" - Newsarama.com

SONG OF SONGS THE COMIC BOOK
www.songofsongsthecomicbook.com
innocentboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 10:44 PM   #6
Scott Story
www.johnnysaturn.com

Scott Story has disabled reputation

Damn, Innocentboy's got it down.

Yeah, it all depends on your goals.

--If you've got an itch to tell a story, and share it with a ton of people over the web, then it's very achievable.

--If your goal is to work for Marvel or DC and draw your favorite characters and make a living at comics, it might be easier to become an international best selling writer, a director on big budget films, an NBA star player, a rock-n-roll mega-star, or an astronaut. In other words, I'm not saying it can't be done, because some people do, but it's really unlikely.
Scott Story is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 11:16 PM   #7
Larime Taylor

Larime Taylor will become famous soon enough

I'm reminded of an episode of 'House', where House and a jazz musician talk about how they do what they do because they have to, because they need to.

I've always had to tell stories. As a kid, it started with role playing games. In college it became writing plays. Now it's comics. I have to tell stories, and if I'm not, then part of me is missing.

Is it too late? It's never too late. But do it because you need to do it. If it is that important to you, then I say go for it.

Last edited by Larime Taylor; 07-27-2006 at 11:19 PM.
Larime Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 12:03 AM   #8
JoMaC2k
The New Solution

JoMaC2k has a spectacular aura aboutJoMaC2k has a spectacular aura aboutJoMaC2k has a spectacular aura about

Doug TenNapel makes comics but never reads them and he's been extremely successful. Check out his books CreatureTech, his new Iron West, and his other books on http://dougtennapel.com
Old 07-28-2006, 12:54 AM   #9
innocentboy

innocentboy has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Story
Damn, Innocentboy's got it down.

Yeah, it all depends on your goals.

--If you've got an itch to tell a story, and share it with a ton of people over the web, then it's very achievable.

--If your goal is to work for Marvel or DC and draw your favorite characters and make a living at comics, it might be easier to become an international best selling writer, a director on big budget films, an NBA star player, a rock-n-roll mega-star, or an astronaut. In other words, I'm not saying it can't be done, because some people do, but it's really unlikely.

"NICE ARTWORK. I RESPECT YOUR TALENT ... REAL RECOGNIZE REAL" - Ill Bill

"NUFF TALENT..! BIG UP..!" - MC Skibadee

"CHECK THIS BOOK OUT" - Newsarama.com

SONG OF SONGS THE COMIC BOOK
www.songofsongsthecomicbook.com
innocentboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 01:20 AM   #10
Ron Phillips
Are you terminal?

Ron Phillips has a reputation beyond reputeRon Phillips has a reputation beyond reputeRon Phillips has a reputation beyond reputeRon Phillips has a reputation beyond reputeRon Phillips has a reputation beyond reputeRon Phillips has a reputation beyond reputeRon Phillips has a reputation beyond reputeRon Phillips has a reputation beyond reputeRon Phillips has a reputation beyond reputeRon Phillips has a reputation beyond reputeRon Phillips has a reputation beyond repute

Never too late. I figure at the rate I'm going, I'll be a superstar by 75.

Buy Ron's Books - on Amazon Kindle

Flash Fiction Friday - A community writing project

Shotgun Honey - a blast of fiction to blow your mind

Home | Twitter | Facebook |MySpace
Ron Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 03:32 AM   #11
HaphazardJoy
BANGARANG!

HaphazardJoy is a splendid one to beholdHaphazardJoy is a splendid one to beholdHaphazardJoy is a splendid one to beholdHaphazardJoy is a splendid one to beholdHaphazardJoy is a splendid one to beholdHaphazardJoy is a splendid one to beholdHaphazardJoy is a splendid one to beholdHaphazardJoy is a splendid one to beholdHaphazardJoy is a splendid one to beholdHaphazardJoy is a splendid one to beholdHaphazardJoy is a splendid one to behold

Yeah, lots of good thoughts here. Having stories you WANT to tell because you feel they must be told, and not being burdened by all of the crap that's already been done, and you're in a prime position to potentially do something great and unique.

http://www.last.fm/user/HaphazardJoy
http://www.shelfari.com/HaphazardJoy/shelf
HaphazardJoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 10:31 AM   #12
j giar
Has nothing to add.

j giar has much to be proud ofj giar has much to be proud ofj giar has much to be proud ofj giar has much to be proud ofj giar has much to be proud ofj giar has much to be proud ofj giar has much to be proud ofj giar has much to be proud ofj giar has much to be proud ofj giar has much to be proud ofj giar has much to be proud of

I started back after being away 5 years..don't know how long you were away from it. I'm in it because I need to.. Creatively!
So what are you waiting for...come on back.
Panel continuity and storytelling should be the primary objective of all GOOD comic book art.
j giar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 10:43 AM   #13
Ingrid K. V. Hardy
Owner of a Rabid Horse

Ingrid K. V. Hardy has a brilliant futureIngrid K. V. Hardy has a brilliant futureIngrid K. V. Hardy has a brilliant futureIngrid K. V. Hardy has a brilliant futureIngrid K. V. Hardy has a brilliant futureIngrid K. V. Hardy has a brilliant futureIngrid K. V. Hardy has a brilliant futureIngrid K. V. Hardy has a brilliant futureIngrid K. V. Hardy has a brilliant futureIngrid K. V. Hardy has a brilliant futureIngrid K. V. Hardy has a brilliant future

This thread rings a bell.... I don't know how old you are, but if you haven't read comics since you were a kid, it's probably just a good thing. Speaking for myself, there are some incredible comics out there, and some, well, you didn't miss much. I've been illustrating all my life cuz I just gotta do it, and I'm trying to get into comics, cuz I just gotta do it (and in my neighborhood I'm known for being really pigheaded - I think it's the beer) and despite what I'm reading here, I'm aiming on making at least a small living from it. Come on in and get yer hands dirty!!

Over 50 and still nifty.
Ingrid K. V. Hardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 11:07 AM   #14
WickedWiggins

WickedWiggins is on a distinguished road

To answer a few questions, I'm 26 and haven't read a single comic since the age of 14. Back then I was into everything from X-Men to What If and everything in between. Nowadays, I'm more into telling stories then reading them and don't really care for the superhero type deals. Making a living in creating comics is not my goal, but it would make for a great stepping stone to branch out into other media types. You never really know though... I may end up loving it and stick to comics entirely.
WickedWiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 11:17 AM   #15
imajica studio
Artist

imajica studio is on a distinguished road

I doesn't matter your age. If you want to do it, do it. Go read The War of Artby Steven Pressfield from the library or buy it. It's only $12.95 or $9.95 on Amazon ! It might help you in this situation.
www.donpedicinijr.blogspot.com
imajica studio is offline   Reply With Quote