Go Back   Digital Webbing Forums > Talent Engine > Creator Community

Old 07-31-2006, 01:00 PM   #1
Eliseu Gouveia
Suteki Da Ne

Eliseu Gouveia is a splendid one to beholdEliseu Gouveia is a splendid one to beholdEliseu Gouveia is a splendid one to beholdEliseu Gouveia is a splendid one to beholdEliseu Gouveia is a splendid one to beholdEliseu Gouveia is a splendid one to beholdEliseu Gouveia is a splendid one to beholdEliseu Gouveia is a splendid one to beholdEliseu Gouveia is a splendid one to beholdEliseu Gouveia is a splendid one to beholdEliseu Gouveia is a splendid one to behold

Dumb SFX question...

I was going through an old script of mine where I have this guy frantically discharging his Beretta M82 when I realised.......... I dont like the SFX.
"Bam! Bam! Bam!" was nice in the 1970s, but it somehow seems weird now.

Ive never had the oportunity of witmessing a Beretta M92 firing (thank God! since with my luck Id probably be on the receiving end ), so I have no idea of what it sounds like.

Any ideas?

Ka-Blam?
Ka-Pow?

Old 07-31-2006, 01:02 PM   #2
Piekos
Blambot Font Guy

Piekos has disabled reputation

I've always been partial to: BRAK!

~N
Old 07-31-2006, 01:17 PM   #3
Eric Rabbitsmasher
Call me Rabbit Fighter

Eric Rabbitsmasher is just really niceEric Rabbitsmasher is just really niceEric Rabbitsmasher is just really niceEric Rabbitsmasher is just really niceEric Rabbitsmasher is just really niceEric Rabbitsmasher is just really nice

Don Martin in Mad Magazine was the master of the sound effect - the sound of water dripping was "POIT!" - but I'm not really sure how important it is - anything with a hard K sound is going to work for a gun discharge I think - there is a bit of a "P' sound to a maller caliber round, bigger ones have more of a boom.

I can tell the difference between gunfire and a firecracker mainly because of the distinct sound a bullet makes as it tears through the air, kind of an doppler echo effect that is distinct from an ordinary echo - kinda like, "KR-ACK -AK -K..." - but that's from a distance, and I doubt most readers would get it.

I think as long as you can see the muzzle flash, the reader will get it - harder I think is the sound of a slide being pulled back and a round chambered, which they always do in film because it sounds so ominous - "SHLIK-INK!"

Whatzabuzz, the Website
Eric Rabbitsmasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 01:52 PM   #4
MrGranger
I'm really Richard Corben

MrGranger is a jewel in the roughMrGranger is a jewel in the roughMrGranger is a jewel in the rough

Anyone have a list of SFX? I've always been weak in the SFX department, mainly because I like the art to show the action and not have SFX at all. But I realize that sometimes it makes the page better. A good list of SFX would be great.
MrGranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 02:34 PM   #5
Scaleyinx
Chicken Whisperer

Scaleyinx has much to be proud ofScaleyinx has much to be proud ofScaleyinx has much to be proud ofScaleyinx has much to be proud ofScaleyinx has much to be proud ofScaleyinx has much to be proud ofScaleyinx has much to be proud ofScaleyinx has much to be proud ofScaleyinx has much to be proud ofScaleyinx has much to be proud ofScaleyinx has much to be proud of

Oh, I second that,...I would love to see a list of good SFX. For my knowledge sucks in this department.
Scaleyinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 02:53 PM   #6
Jason Arthur
Starving Letterer

Jason Arthur is a glorious beacon of lightJason Arthur is a glorious beacon of lightJason Arthur is a glorious beacon of lightJason Arthur is a glorious beacon of lightJason Arthur is a glorious beacon of lightJason Arthur is a glorious beacon of lightJason Arthur is a glorious beacon of light

Some that I've made and used over the last year.

By no means a comprehensive list, but maybe it'll help with this conversation?

-- J
Jason Arthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 03:47 PM   #7
DamonX
Motown!

DamonX is on a distinguished road

Got these from a thread on ScrypticStudios.com a while back...

Try
http://epe.lac-bac.gc.ca/100/200/300...om/bzzurkk.htm
(Pretty much a list a of sounds grouped by general category)

and

http://epe.lac-bac.gc.ca/100/200/300...Kaboomhome.htm
(Scroll down to the alphabetical listing for a more comprehensive list)
DamonX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 03:49 PM   #8
MrGranger
I'm really Richard Corben

MrGranger is a jewel in the roughMrGranger is a jewel in the roughMrGranger is a jewel in the rough

Nice start. I've been looking for a good, comprehensive book on Onomatopoeia for a while. I'm sure someone's got one somewhere, I just haven't found it yet.
MrGranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 04:18 PM   #9
Piekos
Blambot Font Guy

Piekos has disabled reputation

There was a very comprehensive list somewhere online that I remember seeing a couple of years ago. (So comprehensive that I remember it being a little over the top.) I'll be damned if I can remember the address though.

~N
Old 07-31-2006, 04:33 PM   #10
Icaruss
The Masked Avenger

Icaruss is on a distinguished road

Don't use SFX, and have the guy screaming instead.
Icaruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 04:49 PM   #11
Ron Phillips
Are you terminal?

Ron Phillips has a reputation beyond reputeRon Phillips has a reputation beyond reputeRon Phillips has a reputation beyond reputeRon Phillips has a reputation beyond reputeRon Phillips has a reputation beyond reputeRon Phillips has a reputation beyond reputeRon Phillips has a reputation beyond reputeRon Phillips has a reputation beyond reputeRon Phillips has a reputation beyond reputeRon Phillips has a reputation beyond reputeRon Phillips has a reputation beyond repute

There was a link above, but the only resource I remember is Kaboom.

http://epe.lac-bac.gc.ca/100/200/300/ktaylor/kaboom/

That might be an interesting project to restart that, get user entries.

Buy Ron's Books - on Amazon Kindle

Flash Fiction Friday - A community writing project

Shotgun Honey - a blast of fiction to blow your mind

Home | Twitter | Facebook |MySpace
Ron Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 04:57 PM   #12
Kel Nuttall
DWP EIC & BMF

Kel Nuttall is just really niceKel Nuttall is just really niceKel Nuttall is just really niceKel Nuttall is just really nice

A 9mm sounds more sharp, more KRAK than BOOM or BAM. That's what I usually use for a 9...KRAK or if their double-tapping (two shots close together) KRA-KAK.
Kel Nuttall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 04:58 PM   #13
Kel Nuttall
DWP EIC & BMF

Kel Nuttall is just really niceKel Nuttall is just really niceKel Nuttall is just really niceKel Nuttall is just really nice

Of course I imagine the majority of comics readers have never fired a gun and would never know the difference as long as you don't use POOF or SQUONK for gunfire, you'd probably be safe.
Kel Nuttall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 05:17 PM   #14
Awesomus Prime
Guns go SQUONK!

Awesomus Prime has a spectacular aura aboutAwesomus Prime has a spectacular aura aboutAwesomus Prime has a spectacular aura about

Awe SNAP! I'm totally usin' squonk!
Old 07-31-2006, 05:19 PM   #15
Mike225
low brow B1Tch

Mike225 has much to be proud ofMike225 has much to be proud ofMike225 has much to be proud ofMike225 has much to be proud ofMike225 has much to be proud ofMike225 has much to be proud ofMike225 has much to be proud ofMike225 has much to be proud ofMike225 has much to be proud ofMike225 has much to be proud ofMike225 has much to be proud of

Poof would be good for a silencer.