Go Back   Digital Webbing Forums > Talent Engine > Creator Community

Old 07-31-2006, 10:23 PM   #1
nolanjwerner

nolanjwerner is an unknown quantity at this point

How can we raise the profile of comic creators?

The good thing is that the pendulum looks like its swinging towards creators becoming as important, if not more important then characters.

The bad news is that there's a lot of sentiment among comic fans against creators who, to quote someone else, 'think they're more important then the creators/concepts." The thing I pointed out about that was that the concept and material is absolutely part of the authorial voice.

So what can we do to remedy this and make creators the most important part of a comic's success? And how can it be done without going in to auteurism?

Old 07-31-2006, 10:33 PM   #2
Kep!
Mad Genius

Location: Ok, maybe just a little ticked off, not actually mad.
Kep! has much to be proud ofKep! has much to be proud ofKep! has much to be proud ofKep! has much to be proud ofKep! has much to be proud ofKep! has much to be proud ofKep! has much to be proud ofKep! has much to be proud ofKep! has much to be proud ofKep! has much to be proud ofKep! has much to be proud of

Free sex.

Seriously. Think about it.
Kep! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 10:35 PM   #3
Buckyrig
I Know Super Karate!

Buckyrig has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kep!
Free sex.

Seriously. Think about it.
With comic book creators?

Buckyrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 10:53 PM   #4
Awesomus Prime
Guns go SQUONK!

Awesomus Prime has a spectacular aura aboutAwesomus Prime has a spectacular aura aboutAwesomus Prime has a spectacular aura about

I don't know, I mean so called "real" literature already get's mroe respect and even there we see a massive and pervasive deconstructivist movement that says the author stops being a part of the text the minute it leaves his/her hands.

I think as readers we want characters to be what we want them to be and knowing someone else didn't mean for you to read what you did how you read it is heartbreaking. We rebel against the notion.

Do I think it's fair, hell no. Do I think it will ever change? Well "real" books have been being published for commercial sale how long now? I'd say for them it's only gotten worse.
Old 07-31-2006, 11:12 PM   #5
nolanjwerner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesomus Prime
I don't know, I mean so called "real" literature already get's mroe respect and even there we see a massive and pervasive deconstructivist movement that says the author stops being a part of the text the minute it leaves his/her hands.

I think as readers we want characters to be what we want them to be and knowing someone else didn't mean for you to read what you did how you read it is heartbreaking. We rebel against the notion.

Do I think it's fair, hell no. Do I think it will ever change? Well "real" books have been being published for commercial sale how long now? I'd say for them it's only gotten worse.

Except that there are other literary theories that say that a reader adds something to the meaning.
Old 07-31-2006, 11:20 PM   #6
Kep!
Mad Genius

Kep! has much to be proud ofKep! has much to be proud ofKep! has much to be proud ofKep! has much to be proud ofKep! has much to be proud ofKep! has much to be proud ofKep! has much to be proud ofKep! has much to be proud ofKep! has much to be proud ofKep! has much to be proud ofKep! has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolanjwerner
Except that there are other literary theories that say that a reader adds something to the meaning.
So, you're saying that you started a discussion and the first real answer you got you slam as being wrong? BRILLIANT! We have a winner for Wanker of the Week!
Old 07-31-2006, 11:27 PM   #7
Eliseu Gouveia
Suteki Da Ne

Eliseu Gouveia is a splendid one to beholdEliseu Gouveia is a splendid one to beholdEliseu Gouveia is a splendid one to beholdEliseu Gouveia is a splendid one to beholdEliseu Gouveia is a splendid one to beholdEliseu Gouveia is a splendid one to beholdEliseu Gouveia is a splendid one to beholdEliseu Gouveia is a splendid one to beholdEliseu Gouveia is a splendid one to beholdEliseu Gouveia is a splendid one to beholdEliseu Gouveia is a splendid one to behold

Aside from a few exceptions, I donīt care much for charaters.

I usually try to see which creative team is working on which book and then I buy that book.

When the writer and artist leaves, I usually give it one, maybe two issues more to see how the next team is gonna screw the work the previous guys put before leaving.
Old 07-31-2006, 11:28 PM   #8
nolanjwerner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kep!
So, you're saying that you started a discussion and the first real answer you got you slam as being wrong? BRILLIANT! We have a winner for Wanker of the Week!

Actually, I was trying to say that there are other contemporary theories that see the author as something important in terms of the final output.

And "real" books have a huge emphasis on authors. Look at how authors like Grisham, King, Grafton, Patterson, etc. have become brand names as much as authors.

But comics do have the additional dimension of an artist (who is usually, but not always a different person) so the entire authorship dynamic is different.
Old 07-31-2006, 11:39 PM   #9
Scott Story
www.johnnysaturn.com

Scott Story has disabled reputation

I guess the question should be, how do you get recognition for comic creators beyond typical comic readers? By typical comic readers, that probably means white, middle-class, males age 18 to 30, usually educated, with some disposable income.

Some creators do get non-comic media coverage. Frank Miller, Alan Moore, Stan Lee, they all get ink.

Thus, that leads me to conclude that having movies made of your intellectual property will get wider media attention.

Simple.
Scott Story is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 11:41 PM   #10
Kep!
Mad Genius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Story
Some creators do get non-comic media coverage. Frank Miller, Alan Moore, Stan Lee, they all get ink.
Add in Bendais and Paul Jenkins and Strazinski and a few others for good measure...but who really cares about writers anyway?
Old 07-31-2006, 11:54 PM   #11
Mr.Musgrave

Mr.Musgrave has much to be proud ofMr.Musgrave has much to be proud ofMr.Musgrave has much to be proud ofMr.Musgrave has much to be proud ofMr.Musgrave has much to be proud ofMr.Musgrave has much to be proud ofMr.Musgrave has much to be proud ofMr.Musgrave has much to be proud ofMr.Musgrave has much to be proud ofMr.Musgrave has much to be proud ofMr.Musgrave has much to be proud of

I don't care about Strazinski if that helps.
Mr.Musgrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 12:01 AM   #12
Kep!
Mad Genius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Musgrave
I don't care about Strazinski if that helps.
It certainly does, thank you.
Old 08-01-2006, 12:06 AM   #13
Lovecraft13
Mac the Knife

Lovecraft13 is a splendid one to beholdLovecraft13 is a splendid one to beholdLovecraft13 is a splendid one to beholdLovecraft13 is a splendid one to beholdLovecraft13 is a splendid one to beholdLovecraft13 is a splendid one to beholdLovecraft13 is a splendid one to beholdLovecraft13 is a splendid one to beholdLovecraft13 is a splendid one to beholdLovecraft13 is a splendid one to beholdLovecraft13 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolanjwerner
Actually, I was trying to say that there are other contemporary theories that see the author as something important in terms of the final output.
If by "contemporary theories," you mean marketing, then yes, the author would be something important in terms of the final output since they're selling the name, not the concept.
Old 08-01-2006, 12:10 AM   #14
Kep!
Mad Genius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovecraft13
If by "contemporary theories," you mean marketing, then yes, the author would be something important in terms of the final output since they're selling the name, not the concept.
Lovely for books sold by the 1/2 million, but not so hot for limitted runs of 25k that only go to dark, dank holes of dispair where your little sister would feel unsafe...excuse me, I mean the direct market.
Old 08-01-2006, 12:27 AM   #15
Toyandgadgetguy
Eat your vitamins. Really

Toyandgadgetguy has much to be proud ofToyandgadgetguy has much to be proud ofToyandgadgetguy has much to be proud ofToyandgadgetguy has much to be proud ofToyandgadgetguy has much to be proud ofToyandgadgetguy has much to be proud ofToyandgadgetguy has much to be proud ofToyandgadgetguy has much to be proud ofToyandgadgetguy has much to be proud ofToyandgadgetguy has much to be proud ofToyandgadgetguy has much to be proud of

Isn't it all relative anyway?