Go Back   Digital Webbing Forums > Talent Engine > Creator Community

Old 08-04-2006, 08:48 AM   #1
Shishio

Shishio is on a distinguished road

You're going to think I'm crazy...

...If you don't already, that is.

But, I am actually optimistic about the comic book industry in North America.

Pardon my saying so, but it seems pessimism is prevalent here regarding the industry.

And it, and those who work in it, certainly face many problems, have many obstacles to overcome, problems to solve, and will have to work hard as fuck to do so, but I think it can be done.

I know some people are prejudiced towards manga and webcomics, but I believe they have breathed new life into the industry, and will continue to do so. The internet, as we know, is the greatest tool we have, and it has done great things for comics, and will continue to do so. (Unless we lose net neutrality, but I digress.)

Book publishers are starting to take notice of comics as well. And I have heard that Stephen King is working on adapting his Dark Tower series into comic form.

Comics are becoming more widely accepted in schools and libraries.

Again, I know there's a lot of problems, but there is a lot of great things happening as well.
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 08-04-2006, 09:44 AM   #2
T.J. May
Writer/SUMM Publications

T.J. May is a glorious beacon of lightT.J. May is a glorious beacon of lightT.J. May is a glorious beacon of lightT.J. May is a glorious beacon of lightT.J. May is a glorious beacon of lightT.J. May is a glorious beacon of lightT.J. May is a glorious beacon of light

It all comes down to distribution and marketing. Until the books are more readily accessible, the North American publishing is going to hurt. Manga is hot because it is new and fresh and everywhere. You can get whatever you want from VIZ and Tokyopop at every bookstore, DVD and some music chains.

You have to hunt for certain trades of Top selling DC and Marvel comics. Nevermind the little guys. The future is not bright for the North American comic publishers. The GN section at bookstores increases every month. But go to your local store, around here the Manga section has grown Tenfold and the North American GNs and trades have been reduced to wire racks of Preacher, HellBoy, Sandman, a few Alan Moore series and a handful of each Superhero title. There are less than 30 North American titles represented at each of the 8 Barnes&Noble/ Borders in my area.

Manga? 100s. Why? Accessiblity.
"[T.J. May's script] reminded me a bit of the kind of dark fable one might expect from Neil Gaiman...it definitely boasts that kind of strength."
--Don MacPherson (TheFourthRail.com)
www.tjmay.net
www.summ.net
T.J. May is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 09:59 AM   #3
dano

dano has disabled reputation

It also connects with kids. The style of art in manga is very similar to animae. They usually go hand-in-hand. I bet you'll seldom find a manga fan who hates animae or v versa.
A lot of the younguns these days grew up watching Japanese style cartoons like Dragon-ball Z, Pokemon, etc. I think that directly influences their reading choices.
dano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 10:03 AM   #4
T.J. May
Writer/SUMM Publications

T.J. May is a glorious beacon of lightT.J. May is a glorious beacon of lightT.J. May is a glorious beacon of lightT.J. May is a glorious beacon of lightT.J. May is a glorious beacon of lightT.J. May is a glorious beacon of lightT.J. May is a glorious beacon of light

That and they have been able to sell to the 16-30 year old female dempgraphic like no other. That's a huge, untapped market.
"[T.J. May's script] reminded me a bit of the kind of dark fable one might expect from Neil Gaiman...it definitely boasts that kind of strength."
www.tjmay.net
www.summ.net
Old 08-04-2006, 10:10 AM   #5
dano

dano has disabled reputation

I think thats because manga has a lot of stories that have nothing to do with super heroes, or violent crime.
They have stories about exotic pet stores that sell magical mini dragons, or outrageous chef competitions gone awry.
The boys in manga arent super steroid macho men. They're boys girls would actually find interesting!
dano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 10:13 AM   #6
MrGranger
I'm really Richard Corben

MrGranger is a jewel in the roughMrGranger is a jewel in the roughMrGranger is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.J. May
That and they have been able to sell to the 16-30 year old female dempgraphic like no other. That's a huge, untapped market.
There are really that many 16-30 year old women left untapped? Ah well...I'm married.

I don't think anyone who is producing comics doesn't have some sort of positive feeling about it. No one is going to spend so much time on something that they think is going to die in the gutter. It's true that the industry is on a downturn and we often have memorials for the publishers as they fall, but we do have hope. Don't mistake that.

I think here we're able to vent and kind of brainstorm new ideas.
MrGranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 10:51 AM   #7
T.J. May
Writer/SUMM Publications

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGranger
There are really that many 16-30 year old women left untapped? Ah well...I'm married.

I don't think anyone who is producing comics doesn't have some sort of positive feeling about it. No one is going to spend so much time on something that they think is going to die in the gutter. It's true that the industry is on a downturn and we often have memorials for the publishers as they fall, but we do have hope. Don't mistake that.

I think here we're able to vent and kind of brainstorm new ideas.
I think you TAPPED the nail on the head. By the way, you really need to change your psuedo 1980s mug shot on your blog. You look like the Vanilly in Milly.
www.tjmay.net
www.summ.net
Old 08-04-2006, 02:29 PM   #8
Calloway
I haz cookiez an kool-aid

Calloway has much to be proud ofCalloway has much to be proud ofCalloway has much to be proud ofCalloway has much to be proud ofCalloway has much to be proud ofCalloway has much to be proud ofCalloway has much to be proud ofCalloway has much to be proud ofCalloway has much to be proud ofCalloway has much to be proud ofCalloway has much to be proud of

People have felt optimistic about comics since the market went down quickly.
Calloway is offline   Reply With Quote