Go Back   Digital Webbing Forums > Talent Engine > Creator Community

Closed Thread

Old 08-04-2006, 11:20 AM   #1
BIGROD
iongraphx.com

BIGROD is a glorious beacon of lightBIGROD is a glorious beacon of lightBIGROD is a glorious beacon of lightBIGROD is a glorious beacon of lightBIGROD is a glorious beacon of lightBIGROD is a glorious beacon of lightBIGROD is a glorious beacon of light

"Lie"s....Hmmmmm

From Erik Larsen's One Fan's Opinion column over at CBR.com

I haven't the slightest idea who he could be talking about...

Quote:
I had a friend years back that was a habitual liar. He lied about everything - even things nobody cared about, even things that didn't affect anybody. He was an artist that later got in a position where he could give people work. He lied about his birthday because he wanted to still be one of the young guys in comics - he lied about jobs that were never mailed and checks that were never mailed and he left a path of destruction in his wake. He'd tell fans that he'd hire them in order to get them to leave him alone during a convention and then he'd conveniently lose their phone numbers and never take their calls. He'd promise huge page rates and not come through with the money. He'd hire folks to output film and stiff them. He'd go from one printer to the next leaving unpaid bills behind him. His sunny smile and boyish charm got him more second chances than any thirty men deserve. And what could these guys do? Living in Canada, it was a hassle to sue, so they'd take pennies on the dollar when it was eventually offered.

This buddy swears, to this day, that he left our company of his own free will even though the rest of us know otherwise. He left, like Richard Nixon left, when the writing was on the wall and there were no other options. He claims otherwise, but some folks at this outfit are notorious pack rats and it might surprise him to find a phone bill from a party call and a faxed resignation with a date attached in our possession that clearly indicate that he is being less than truthful.

What's the point? What was gained?

This fellow used to solicit books and he'd decide whether he should draw them based on the orders they received. The 90-day return policy comics had at the time was used and abused by this individual.

Like I said, I had a friend. And when this friend started spreading lies about me, I made an effort to distance myself from him. He's still a fun guy to talk to, but he's not a person that I'd trust to do anything that he promised to do.

IONGRAPHX on XBOX Live

"You know, my parents are dead too, but I don't dress up as my favorite animal and wage a one-man war against exploding planets"
- Superman being interviewed about his friend Batman
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 08-04-2006, 11:26 AM   #2
L Jamal
ljamal.com

L Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud of

Methinks, many will not see the forest because of the tree.

FOR ALL YOUR WEB AND PRINT NEEDS
PORTFOLIO
Old 08-04-2006, 11:36 AM   #3
Mr.Musgrave

Mr.Musgrave has much to be proud ofMr.Musgrave has much to be proud ofMr.Musgrave has much to be proud ofMr.Musgrave has much to be proud ofMr.Musgrave has much to be proud ofMr.Musgrave has much to be proud ofMr.Musgrave has much to be proud ofMr.Musgrave has much to be proud ofMr.Musgrave has much to be proud ofMr.Musgrave has much to be proud ofMr.Musgrave has much to be proud of

This is all about Greg Land, isn't it...?
Old 08-04-2006, 11:46 AM   #4
dano

dano has disabled reputation

WHo is it?
Old 08-04-2006, 11:48 AM   #5
Mike225
low brow B1Tch

Mike225 has much to be proud ofMike225 has much to be proud ofMike225 has much to be proud ofMike225 has much to be proud ofMike225 has much to be proud ofMike225 has much to be proud ofMike225 has much to be proud ofMike225 has much to be proud ofMike225 has much to be proud ofMike225 has much to be proud ofMike225 has much to be proud of

A Canadian artist
Old 08-04-2006, 11:56 AM   #6
dano

dano has disabled reputation

No clue. I guess i should read more books
Old 08-04-2006, 12:16 PM   #7
kdmelrose
Pope of Appalachia

kdmelrose has much to be proud ofkdmelrose has much to be proud ofkdmelrose has much to be proud ofkdmelrose has much to be proud ofkdmelrose has much to be proud ofkdmelrose has much to be proud ofkdmelrose has much to be proud ofkdmelrose has much to be proud ofkdmelrose has much to be proud ofkdmelrose has much to be proud ofkdmelrose has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobberstable
Old 08-04-2006, 12:17 PM   #8
Mike225
low brow B1Tch

Mike225 has much to be proud ofMike225 has much to be proud ofMike225 has much to be proud ofMike225 has much to be proud ofMike225 has much to be proud ofMike225 has much to be proud ofMike225 has much to be proud ofMike225 has much to be proud ofMike225 has much to be proud ofMike225 has much to be proud ofMike225 has much to be proud of

I'm just as confused as you are.
Old 08-04-2006, 12:41 PM   #9
aidirisuto

aidirisuto is on a distinguished road

Erik just told a little story about said artist at the Image forum last week, referencing all the same things but with a name attached.

It wasn't Kaare Andrews.
Old 08-04-2006, 12:44 PM   #10
TonyLee
Certified Cool...

TonyLee is a jewel in the roughTonyLee is a jewel in the roughTonyLee is a jewel in the roughTonyLee is a jewel in the rough

Yeah - it's not Kaare. It's a little more 'oldschool'...

Comic | Radio | Screen | Magazine | Stage | Book | PR

Website | Email | LJ | Twitter
Old 08-04-2006, 01:10 PM   #11
Deadfish07
Mall Security

Deadfish07 is just really niceDeadfish07 is just really niceDeadfish07 is just really niceDeadfish07 is just really nice

Yeah, it's pretty obviously. Guy who left Image before he became widely unpopular.

It's Jim Lee.
Old 08-04-2006, 01:14 PM   #12
Mike225
low brow B1Tch

Oooooh....

I knew it!
Old 08-04-2006, 01:16 PM   #13
Mwynn
On THE EDGE

Mwynn has disabled reputation

Is it he who walks behind the rose?

The Edge Online

The Edge Facebook
Old 08-04-2006, 01:30 PM   #14
imajica studio
Artist

imajica studio is on a distinguished road

Is it someone who can also play bass and has never been to the PITTsburgh Comicon?
www.donpedicinijr.blogspot.com
Old 08-04-2006, 01:37 PM   #15
D.J. Coffman
Is a Juggernaut

D.J. Coffman is just really niceD.J. Coffman is just really niceD.J. Coffman is just really niceD.J. Coffman is just really niceD.J. Coffman is just really niceD.J. Coffman is just really nice

WHy are people beating around the bush? It's Dale Keown, right?

The forgotten Image guy... heh
Closed Thread