Go Back   Digital Webbing Forums > Talent Engine > Creator Community

Old 08-05-2006, 01:01 PM   #1
WickedWiggins

WickedWiggins is on a distinguished road

When, Oh when?

Man, How long does it take to get an artist involved with a project? I mean I have asked for artists who want to be involved to step forward on two seperate forums, and I have gotten nothing! I've even had good crits for my posted sample script, and still nothing! I mean there is a deadline as in most cases so I can't just sit back, and wait. Its like the only time anyone is ever interested is when money is involved. Like money is more important then the love for what your doing is what it seems like. Anyways, I just constantly feel like I'm just here for nothing, and should move on to other things for a career. Maybe I should.
WickedWiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 08-05-2006, 01:50 PM   #2
Spacious Interior
Allergic to Shark Attacks

Spacious Interior is a name known to allSpacious Interior is a name known to allSpacious Interior is a name known to allSpacious Interior is a name known to allSpacious Interior is a name known to allSpacious Interior is a name known to allSpacious Interior is a name known to allSpacious Interior is a name known to allSpacious Interior is a name known to all

Don't lose all hope. I now I want to get back in the game in a bad way. I was doing a lot of comic work for all 3 biggies at one point. I stepped out of it keeping only my ties to liscencing for personal reasons...and now... getting back in is like pulling teeth.

It isn't that nobody wants a piece of your project, but as for me (and people in my position) there is a career that has me booked solid 24/7/365 and comics have become second hat. Basically, the only comic related jobs I take now are the ones that I can fit into my schedual.

On that note, I'm really curious as to what you have planned.
Spacious Interior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 02:08 PM   #3
T.J. May
Writer/SUMM Publications

T.J. May is a glorious beacon of lightT.J. May is a glorious beacon of lightT.J. May is a glorious beacon of lightT.J. May is a glorious beacon of lightT.J. May is a glorious beacon of lightT.J. May is a glorious beacon of lightT.J. May is a glorious beacon of light

The only way I have found artists to work for "free" is if there is no doubt it will be published. But to even get to that point, I paid in full for three stories to be published, promoted and distributed. Including checks to the artists for their work.

In the last 6 months I have had several very good-to-great artists contact me about collaborations. In these collaborations we will split the ownership 50/50, and a few even offered to pony up money to get a project out because they have that much faith in my writing/ marketing skills.

Now, to back up, the most I ever paid per page for art was $30. Which is not bad at all. I paid far less for art on the other 2 projects. But to answer your question of how long.....well....Ill Conceived came out in the fall of 2004, and I have been working on writing in earnest since '99. So, depending on how you look at it, it has taken me 2-7 years to get to this point.

T
"[T.J. May's script] reminded me a bit of the kind of dark fable one might expect from Neil Gaiman...it definitely boasts that kind of strength."
--Don MacPherson (TheFourthRail.com)
www.tjmay.net
www.summ.net
T.J. May is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 03:49 PM   #4
WickedWiggins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacious Interior
Don't lose all hope. I now I want to get back in the game in a bad way. I was doing a lot of comic work for all 3 biggies at one point. I stepped out of it keeping only my ties to liscencing for personal reasons...and now... getting back in is like pulling teeth.

It isn't that nobody wants a piece of your project, but as for me (and people in my position) there is a career that has me booked solid 24/7/365 and comics have become second hat. Basically, the only comic related jobs I take now are the ones that I can fit into my schedual.

On that note, I'm really curious as to what you have planned.
Its just a small 10 page black and white for submission to Arcana's new anthology called Dark Thresholds.
Old 08-05-2006, 04:31 PM   #5
Caleb Monroe
That guy.

Caleb Monroe will become famous soon enoughCaleb Monroe will become famous soon enough

I would also suggest maybe finding an artist you would like to work with and approaching them directly, rather than just waiting for random people to respond to your ad. The personal touch can help a lot.

You might alos want to scope out the "Places to Find a Collaborator" section of my Creator Services page (link in sig).
Caleb Monroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 04:36 PM   #6
trialsze

trialsze will become famous soon enough

I am sorry you can't find anyone but just realize that for an artist this not his creation. He/she doesn't have the connection you do to it and that is why money is important, plus it takes a lot of time to draw pages. You can write all ten pages in a day, not a penciler. If he is doing this part time then he will be lucky to get two pages a week done. Not saying you will not find someone to do it but just remember that the artist probably doesn't have the connection to the product you have and that is probably the reason that you are having problems. Just my two cents and I hope it helps. If I knew of an artist looking for a break I would send them your way.
Old 08-05-2006, 05:42 PM   #7
WickedWiggins

I totally understand the time restraints for a penciler which is why I'm looking now with a deadline of October. As for aproching an artist I've tried that as well and seems they are busy bees. Guess I'll just suck it up, stop being a big baby, and write as much as possible. Good fortunes come to those who wait. Thanks guys, and Caleb your Blog or whatever it maybe has helped a bunch. Thank you.
Old 08-06-2006, 09:46 AM   #8
Fuego
Comic Book Artist

Fuego is on a distinguished road

If the story is important to you should really consider paying. It doesn't have to be much. You can offer $150 for the ten pages, thats not that much money, but that way you ge the artist to work towards an imediate goal wich is mych better than having an artist say they want to work with you but then prioritize all the paying jobs over the project with you. And since this is not the artist baby, you willing to put your money where your mouth is shows an artist that you are really serious about the project and willing to do what is needed to see publication.
Hope this helps.
Fernando
Fuego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 09:54 AM   #9
L Jamal
ljamal.com

L Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud of

Like TJ said being established helps. Being published helps more.
Holding on to those you find helps the most.

FOR ALL YOUR WEB AND PRINT NEEDS
PORTFOLIO
L Jamal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 10:28 AM   #10
MrGranger
I'm really Richard Corben

MrGranger is a jewel in the roughMrGranger is a jewel in the roughMrGranger is a jewel in the rough

And don't get too upset when they leave for more $$. Artists need to eat.
MrGranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 10:32 AM   #11
Erik Roman
takes commission work!

Erik Roman is a jewel in the roughErik Roman is a jewel in the roughErik Roman is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by trialsze
I am sorry you can't find anyone but just realize that for an artist this not his creation. He/she doesn't have the connection you do to it and that is why money is important, plus it takes a lot of time to draw pages. You can write all ten pages in a day, not a penciler. If he is doing this part time then he will be lucky to get two pages a week done. Not saying you will not find someone to do it but just remember that the artist probably doesn't have the connection to the product you have and that is probably the reason that you are having problems. Just my two cents and I hope it helps. If I knew of an artist looking for a break I would send them your way.
Ok -- from an artists point of view.

This (above) is pretty much correct.

If you aren't offering payment then why would an illustrator want to spend their limited amount of spare time working on someone else's vision for nothing?

My advice -- Don't approch an illustrator with a fully done, completely finished script. With no payment and no say in the story and/or property there is zero incentive to be nothing more than a drawing monkey for someone else.
If you are not willing to pay a reasonable rate, then you should find an illustrator you like and work with him (or her) building a property or concept from the ground up that BOTH parties have a stake in and is a true collaboration.

~e.

I take character art commissions at reasonable rates.

My full portfolio

Last edited by Erik Roman; 08-06-2006 at 01:23 PM.
Erik Roman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 12:18 PM   #12
WickedWiggins

okay first off... I'm not getting any type of pay for this and heck it may not even be accepted into the book so there is no way of any payment from me. As for the "drawing monkey" bit, I allow whatever changes they think work best for the story so long as they tell me before hand. If it makes an improvement in the movement of the script, then why not? Whatever, guess I'll finish the script and put it away.
Old 08-06-2006, 12:58 PM   #13
Buckyrig
I Know Super Karate!

Buckyrig has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGranger
And don't get too upset when they leave for more $$. Artists need to eat.
I do not like this attitude. It is poor work ethic, in or out of comics. It's not living up to your responsibilities...especially if there is paper involved. Now yes, in the real world this happens all the time, but in other industries I would often be compensated by the larger company in this kind of transaction.

I think most people are reasonable and will find a way to work this thing out with you if you get an opportunity. But what am I supposed to do with a partially done book and X number of dollars out of pocket when you bail?
Buckyrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 01:12 PM   #14
Mr.Musgrave

Mr.Musgrave has much to be proud ofMr.Musgrave has much to be proud ofMr.Musgrave has much to be proud ofMr.Musgrave has much to be proud ofMr.Musgrave has much to be proud ofMr.Musgrave has much to be proud ofMr.Musgrave has much to be proud ofMr.Musgrave has much to be proud ofMr.Musgrave has much to be proud ofMr.Musgrave has much to be proud ofMr.Musgrave has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by WickedWiggins
okay first off... I'm not getting any type of pay for this and heck it may not even be accepted into the book so there is no way of any payment from me. As for the "drawing monkey" bit, I allow whatever changes they think work best for the story so long as they tell me before hand. If it makes an improvement in the movement of the script, then why not? Whatever, guess I'll finish the script and put it away.

This attitude here is why you're having trouble finding someone. I don't care if you're not getting any pay out of it. It's your project, you're hiring someone to complete it for you. Why do people expect commercial artists to work for free I'll never understand. It's a business. Deal with it.
Mr.Musgrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 01:14 PM   #15
Mr.Musgrave

Mr.Musgrave has much to be proud ofMr.Musgrave has much to be proud ofMr.Musgrave has much to be proud ofMr.Musgrave has much to be proud ofMr.Musgrave has much to be proud ofMr.Musgrave has much to be proud ofMr.Musgrave has much to be proud ofMr.Musgrave has much to be proud ofMr.Musgrave has much to be proud ofMr.Musgrave has much to be proud ofMr.Musgrave has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckyrig
I do not like this attitude. It is poor work ethic, in or out of comics. It's not living up to your responsibilities...especially if there is paper involved. Now yes, in the real world this happens all the time, but in other industries I would often be compensated by the larger company in this kind of transaction.

I think most people are reasonable and will find a way to work this thing out with you if you get an opportunity. But what am I supposed to do with a partially done book and X number of dollars out of pocket when you bail?

This is what contracts are for. And this is the real world. Just because it's comics and art doesn't mean it suddenly operates by "special rules for cheap bastards."

This thread reminds me why I flippin' quit.
Mr.Musgrave is offline   Reply With Quote