Go Back   Digital Webbing Forums > Talent Engine > Creator Community

Old 08-06-2006, 04:23 AM   #1
sgotr

sgotr is on a distinguished road

Serializing a Novel into Increments Of Graphic Novels

Serializing a Novel into Increments Of Graphic Novels say 56 to 96 pages each or would they need to be longer so that printing can be done on the spine of the Graphic Novel? I don't think this has been done but if it has please post the titles of the works as Graphic Novels serialization and sense the Graphic Novel in it's present form is pretty new there might not be some originals but there might be some of the classic literature that has been done in serialization. If you know of any please post them. What do you think a Novel - Graphic Novel Serialization should be. Let's look at the Lord of the Rings for a length. There are three novels to the series. Four if you count the Hobbit. Ok The Hobbit 19 chapters. The Fellowship of the Rings two books - book 1- 12 chapters, book 2- 10 chapters. The Two Towers two books - book 3 - 11 chapters, book 4 - 10 chapters. The Return of the King two books - book 5 - 10 chapters, book 6 - 9 chapters. That gives a total of 91 chapters. How many Graphic Novels would it take to serialize the series? Just a thought.

OK using the Lord of the Rings (as an example) with it's rich imagery how should the Graphic Novel Serialization volume look from an graphics point of view - would you have page(s) of text with action sequences of page and panels. How do you see the texture of the integration of the text and images (graphics - drawings). Would each Graphic Novel be one chapter - that would be 91 books.
Just some thoughts.

Last edited by sgotr; 08-06-2006 at 03:39 PM.
sgotr is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 08-06-2006, 07:29 AM   #2
T.J. May
Writer/SUMM Publications

T.J. May is a glorious beacon of lightT.J. May is a glorious beacon of lightT.J. May is a glorious beacon of lightT.J. May is a glorious beacon of lightT.J. May is a glorious beacon of lightT.J. May is a glorious beacon of lightT.J. May is a glorious beacon of light

In the current market place it could only be pulled off by an established team of creators unless it was very well marketed and had a lot of buzz/money behind it.

Buyers of new talent prefer to take a $3.00 gamble. Once you've hooked them in you can move to longer, higher priced fare. If you can keep it in the $4.99 range you could start with 56-pages. Catching Lucifer's Lunch is 56-pages and we were able to print on the spine.

To answer your question, I don't know that this has been done.

My best
T
"[T.J. May's script] reminded me a bit of the kind of dark fable one might expect from Neil Gaiman...it definitely boasts that kind of strength."
--Don MacPherson (TheFourthRail.com)
www.tjmay.net
www.summ.net
T.J. May is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 07:45 AM   #3
Lynn Lefey
Loki's plaything

Lynn Lefey is on a distinguished road

I seriously doubt the ability of any novel to be converted into graphic novel as a marketable item. Even Lord of the Rings wouldn't have the draw to offset the cost of producing 91 graphic novels.

Besides... come on... I distinctly remember a single page of Fellowship that describes a valley they're walking through. That'd be one panel.

You would need to have a really talented art team, and even then, a lot of the hardcore fans of Tolkien will hate it, no matter what you do.

I've seen a comic book based on Poe's short stories that I thought was pretty good, but that was a single issue comic. There may be a few classic novels in public Domain that might be worth consideration. I recently read 'Treasure Island' and think it might make a good graphic novel. It should be able to be made into a SINGLE graphic novel.
Lynn Lefey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 09:12 AM   #4
L Jamal
ljamal.com

L Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud of

The entirety of the Hobbit was one graphic novel.
I think a series of graphic novels is possible if each one is a complete unit. Lone Wolf and Cub would be an example. It builds to a larger story, but each one (of the 28) is a single unit unto itself.

FOR ALL YOUR WEB AND PRINT NEEDS
PORTFOLIO
L Jamal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 11:55 AM   #5
Lynn Lefey
Loki's plaything

Lynn Lefey is on a distinguished road

ljamal, was the Hobbit version you're thinking of from the mid-90's? I think that came out as three or four flat spined individual issues before being a TPB, if I remember right.
Lynn Lefey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 12:22 PM   #6
L Jamal
ljamal.com

L Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud of

It has Wenzel art that all I remember.

FOR ALL YOUR WEB AND PRINT NEEDS
PORTFOLIO
L Jamal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 02:18 PM   #7
dano

dano has disabled reputation

I Am Legend was turned into 3-4 GNs
dano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 03:56 PM   #8
Ron Phillips
Are you terminal?

Ron Phillips has a reputation beyond reputeRon Phillips has a reputation beyond reputeRon Phillips has a reputation beyond reputeRon Phillips has a reputation beyond reputeRon Phillips has a reputation beyond reputeRon Phillips has a reputation beyond reputeRon Phillips has a reputation beyond reputeRon Phillips has a reputation beyond reputeRon Phillips has a reputation beyond reputeRon Phillips has a reputation beyond reputeRon Phillips has a reputation beyond repute

Well, I think you are forgetting that much of the imagery that makes the trilogy so vast would be widdled away as the art, the actual story could easilly be told in 6-9 mid sized GNs or 3 oversized volumns each containing the story complete.

The actual endeavor to produce 91 GNs in mind boggling. I mean how long would it take?

If you goto Barns & Noble or Books A Million or Borders you can find a series that published GN of classic tales. I bought my daughter some last Xmas. She didn't read them though. She read and re-reads the mangas and Owly books.

Buy Ron's Books - on Amazon Kindle

Flash Fiction Friday - A community writing project

Shotgun Honey - a blast of fiction to blow your mind

Home | Twitter | Facebook |MySpace
Ron Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 04:12 PM   #9
sgotr

T.J. May thanks for the 56 page info and the price range

Lynn Lefey thanks for the classic novels in public domain info. I used The Lord of the Rings as an example. I could have used Herbert's Dune series or Asimov's Galactic Empire series. Serializing a novel I think was one of the first forms modern novels was released in And a more recent serializing of a novel is by Stephen King. I do think 91 chapters is a lot but I begain thinking about a novel seriaized by chapters as a graphic novel.

ljamal thanks after reading your post I remembered I have the Hobbit graphic novel somewhere around here. It might have been printed as a reg comic book then complied into a tpb I don't know.

dano thanks - can you provide any more info on I Am Legend.

Last edited by sgotr; 08-06-2006 at 04:14 PM.
Old 08-06-2006, 04:28 PM   #10
sgotr

Ron Phillips I think we where posting about the same time

Thanks for the classic tales search info at the book stores.

I have been thinking along the lines of, as you say, widdling away of the art but could that not be done by using more double pages?

"the actual story could easilly be told in 6-9 mid sized GNs or 3 oversized volumns each containing the story complete." When I read this I thought of a blend of text and a lot of illustrations which would bring the Serializing a Novel into Increments Of Graphic Novels to (as stated by Lynn Lefey and ljamal) one graphic novel per book.

"The actual endeavor to produce 91 GNs in mind boggling. I mean how long would it take?" no arguement from me.

Wasn't thinking of any age group more of creating a blend of the novel and graphic novel into a literature art form.

Last edited by sgotr; 08-06-2006 at 04:44 PM.