Go Back   Digital Webbing Forums > Talent Engine > Creator Community

Old 08-06-2006, 05:09 PM   #1
thecarrierone
student of the art of art

thecarrierone will become famous soon enoughthecarrierone will become famous soon enough

talet pc

ok so gateway had this commercial for a laptop you can draw right on the screen with.
can i use my corel-photoshop ect on this?
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 08-06-2006, 05:43 PM   #2
Screeny
Quite!

Screeny is a splendid one to beholdScreeny is a splendid one to beholdScreeny is a splendid one to beholdScreeny is a splendid one to beholdScreeny is a splendid one to beholdScreeny is a splendid one to beholdScreeny is a splendid one to beholdScreeny is a splendid one to beholdScreeny is a splendid one to beholdScreeny is a splendid one to beholdScreeny is a splendid one to behold

If it's the same one that I'm thinking of then I don't see why it shouldn't - however, there are a couple of problems that I would forsee. Firstly, the tech spec makes no mention of pen pressure sensitivity which is an integral part of drawing with a tablet & pen. Secondly, I would question the ability of the user to comfortably draw on a screen - a tablet enables you to draw as you would on paper (i.e. with your hand resting on the paper as you draw) - drawing directly on a screen would mean you would have to have your drawing hand floating (like you would if you were painting with a canvas & easel).

I'm not sure that it was primarily designed for use with graphic applications - it looks like it is more geared to simple touch screen use. The only real way that I can see touch screen technology benefitting the graphic artist is if the screen itself was detatchable and could be positioned & angled as you would a drawing table.
Screeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 05:45 PM   #3
Ron Phillips
Are you terminal?

Ron Phillips has a reputation beyond reputeRon Phillips has a reputation beyond reputeRon Phillips has a reputation beyond reputeRon Phillips has a reputation beyond reputeRon Phillips has a reputation beyond reputeRon Phillips has a reputation beyond reputeRon Phillips has a reputation beyond reputeRon Phillips has a reputation beyond reputeRon Phillips has a reputation beyond reputeRon Phillips has a reputation beyond reputeRon Phillips has a reputation beyond repute

Pens&Pixels draws with a tablet PC. I think it's a Toshiba though. Anyway, seeing his art, it must be pretty effective.

Buy Ron's Books - on Amazon Kindle

Flash Fiction Friday - A community writing project

Shotgun Honey - a blast of fiction to blow your mind

Home | Twitter | Facebook |MySpace
Ron Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 05:54 PM   #4
Screeny
Quite!

Screeny is a splendid one to beholdScreeny is a splendid one to beholdScreeny is a splendid one to beholdScreeny is a splendid one to beholdScreeny is a splendid one to beholdScreeny is a splendid one to beholdScreeny is a splendid one to beholdScreeny is a splendid one to beholdScreeny is a splendid one to beholdScreeny is a splendid one to beholdScreeny is a splendid one to behold

Actually, it looks like you can swivel the screen around 180degrees and it can be angled for a comfortable drawing position - based on that I'd say it looks pretty good - it would still be worth checking whether it supports pen pressure sensitivity first.
Screeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 06:25 PM   #5
joshm
Comic Book creator

joshm is on a distinguished road

A few things to think about. I troubleshoot hardware like this on a daily basis and I will say that table pc's are not for the artist. If they have problems running applications like word, outlook, excel, etc. then running Photoshop is going to be hell. If it has a very good processor, at least 2 GB of ram, and a really good video card then you'll be fine. Otherwise, you can get the Wacom Cintiq 21UX, which I have, and it will be much better than a tablet pc. Naturally, you have to have a PC that will handle Photoshop well to use it on your computer. It will cost more than a tablet PC, though. Biggest thing I would think about is what kind of work will be doing on it. Do you need a pen/brush that can swivel or do you need to draw directly on the screen or can you handle one of the Wacom's that you draw on while looking up at your monitor. Hope this helps and good luck.
Old 08-06-2006, 09:27 PM   #6
Kep!
Mad Genius

Location: Ok, maybe just a little ticked off, not actually mad.
Kep! has much to be proud ofKep! has much to be proud ofKep! has much to be proud ofKep! has much to be proud ofKep! has much to be proud ofKep! has much to be proud ofKep! has much to be proud ofKep! has much to be proud ofKep! has much to be proud ofKep! has much to be proud ofKep! has much to be proud of

I looked real hard into an HP tablet a while back and finally decided to pass as the resolution wasn't to my likeing. Another couple of years and these babies will be ready to rule the comic world though, I'm sure of it.
Kep! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 04:05 PM   #7
Pens&Pixels
EraserX

Pens&Pixels will become famous soon enoughPens&Pixels will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Phillips
Pens&Pixels draws with a tablet PC. I think it's a Toshiba though. Anyway, seeing his art, it must be pretty effective.
Thanks dude. I do use a tabletpc and love it. I've also used most every size of Wacom Graphire and Intuos and the Aiptek pen monitor. All were good and effective, but the tablet pc is easily the best thing I've used yet. Pressure sensitivity is fine. Accuracy is good. Battery life is a bit weak, especially when working in Photoshop. You can dim the screen to preserve battery life, but that's counterproductive for us artists. Working at my desk with an outlet though, I love it. That said, I'm about to e-bay my Jeep and use th emoney on a new tower and Cintiq 21UX. Those things look incredible.