Go Back   Digital Webbing Forums > Talent Engine > Creator Community

Old 08-07-2006, 08:33 AM   #1
Gav Heryng
Formally Known As Dismas

Gav Heryng is a splendid one to beholdGav Heryng is a splendid one to beholdGav Heryng is a splendid one to beholdGav Heryng is a splendid one to beholdGav Heryng is a splendid one to beholdGav Heryng is a splendid one to beholdGav Heryng is a splendid one to beholdGav Heryng is a splendid one to beholdGav Heryng is a splendid one to beholdGav Heryng is a splendid one to beholdGav Heryng is a splendid one to behold

Page Rates For A Colourist...

Hi, folks. My apologies if a thread like this already exists, I did a quick search but couldn't find anything.

I'm basically just trying to find out what the going page rates are for colourists at the moment. What sort of money do colourists look for?

Any help would be great.

Cheers

Dis
Follow me on MySpace!
Gav Heryng is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 08-07-2006, 08:53 AM   #2
Deadfish07
Mall Security

Deadfish07 is just really niceDeadfish07 is just really niceDeadfish07 is just really niceDeadfish07 is just really nice

I have a friend who's worked with the mid-level publishers (Dabel, Alias, etc) and he told me they pay $40 and up.
Deadfish07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 09:00 AM   #3
Aaron Hübrich
www.conceptopolis.com

Aaron Hübrich has disabled reputation

The answers you'll get will be wide ranging and I don't suspect many pro-colorists to start coughing up their rates. But you can estimate that, based on someone's experience, the range can be $50-$125 per page these days.

Flatters can get $10-$15 per page by laying in the base colors, so it's usually calcualted in on the rate for a colorist. If you can color 2 pages a day at $115 each, then you're getting about $100 per page once you pay a flatter. That breaks down to $200 per day or $4000 per month if you work 20 days out of the month (with 2 pages a day). If you get 22 pages a month though, that would only be $2200 per month, so make sure you can survive on that...

At that rate you're competing against other top pro's who can even do more work than that, so keep that in mind. Pricing yourself lower is possible, but then you're balancing more work to make up for the lower rate. It tends to even out in the end, so finding that right balance becomes the toughest part.

Good luck!
Old 08-18-2006, 12:32 AM   #4
Jasen Smith
jasenstation.com

Jasen Smith has much to be proud ofJasen Smith has much to be proud ofJasen Smith has much to be proud ofJasen Smith has much to be proud ofJasen Smith has much to be proud ofJasen Smith has much to be proud ofJasen Smith has much to be proud ofJasen Smith has much to be proud ofJasen Smith has much to be proud ofJasen Smith has much to be proud ofJasen Smith has much to be proud of

WHAt can we do?

Im a fairly new colorist and have done 2 projects a month since starting....everyone has more than willing to come up with a payment plan and therefore I have always been paid for the work.....recently Ive done work for a certain publishers who says they sent the money but I believe them to be lieing.

1) they wont tell me what happened to it. (a check in the mail can be located easily nowadays)

2) Hasnt answered me in the past week.

3) keeps telling me that "I'll see what happened to it and get back to you later in the week."

4) It was stated in a contract as most are that it will be paid on a certain time...its been 50 days late.

What are we supposed to do if they break the contract?
Jasen Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 02:22 AM   #5
Ninjai
Web Designer

Ninjai is on a distinguished road

This answer really depends on the quality you want. If you're looking for top pro's expect something around $150-$200 per page with covers and pinups a bit more. Top colorists are in high demand and believe me, you need them more than they need you - if you have to have the high quality be ready to pay for it.
Old 08-18-2006, 02:37 AM   #6
shushubag

shushubag will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjai
This answer really depends on the quality you want. If you're looking for top pro's expect something around $150-$200 per page with covers and pinups a bit more. Top colorists are in high demand and believe me, you need them more than they need you - if you have to have the high quality be ready to pay for it.
Damn straight! Finding a colorist is a bitch. Finding a good colorist is more of a bitch and it'll cost an arm and a leg.

Ninjai do you guys at optic studios have a flat rate or do you guys work deals out individually?

You guys rock by the way.
shushubag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 11:05 AM   #7
r nelson
BlahBlahBlah

r nelson is just really nicer nelson is just really nicer nelson is just really nicer nelson is just really nicer nelson is just really nice

Dis, I found this on ComicFoundry about a year, year and a half ago:

It's a bit outdated, but it's been a great guide, and with a little arithmetical jabberwockying, you can work out all sorts of different solutions to payment from work-for-hire to shared ownership of properties to percentage of profits, or any combination of the above.
r nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 11:13 AM   #8
TGK
The Adventure Fails

TGK will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by r nelson
Dis, I found this on ComicFoundry about a year, year and a half ago:

It's a bit outdated, but it's been a great guide, and with a little arithmetical jabberwockying, you can work out all sorts of different solutions to payment from work-for-hire to shared ownership of properties to percentage of profits, or any combination of the above.
Say , whats a finisher?
TGK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 01:46 PM   #9
ryanscott

ryanscott is on a distinguished road

My new goal is to be a pro cover colorist.
ryanscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 01:49 PM   #10
Pens&Pixels
EraserX

Pens&Pixels will become famous soon enoughPens&Pixels will become famous soon enough

LOL...I've colored a lot of covers and have never made more than the guy who drew it.
Old 08-18-2006, 02:08 PM   #11
ryanscott

ryanscott is on a distinguished road

And here's how I'm going to achieve my goal... I'll find somebody to do my flats for 15$, and then trick a pro colorist to color a cover (I'll have to call it a splash page for this trick to work) for 150$, and I can walk away with 835 bucks (and up)

ryanscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 02:18 PM   #12
L Jamal
ljamal.com

L Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud of

lol

FOR ALL YOUR WEB AND PRINT NEEDS
PORTFOLIO
L Jamal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 02:29 PM   #13
egets
Color cracker

egets is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pens&Pixels
LOL...I've colored a lot of covers and have never made more than the guy who drew it.
That sounds soooooooo unfair How much more it has taken the penciller to learn his trade than the colourist his ?
Old 08-18-2006, 02:46 PM   #14
Calloway
I haz cookiez an kool-aid

Calloway has much to be proud ofCalloway has much to be proud ofCalloway has much to be proud ofCalloway has much to be proud ofCalloway has much to be proud ofCalloway has much to be proud ofCalloway has much to be proud ofCalloway has much to be proud ofCalloway has much to be proud ofCalloway has much to be proud ofCalloway has much to be proud of

Coloring is ALOT easier then doing pencils. If I felt like it I could pump out 5 colored pages in a 10 hour day.
Calloway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 02:46 PM   #15
Buckyrig
I Know Super Karate!

Buckyrig has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGK
Say , whats a finisher?
An inker who works with rough layouts. They often have to render the figures completely as some breakdown or layout pencilers put as little as basic shapes sometimes.
Buckyrig is offline   Reply With Quote