Go Back   Digital Webbing Forums > Talent Engine > Creator Community

Old 08-07-2006, 07:56 PM   #1
4-9-studios
Phour Nyne Guy

4-9-studios will become famous soon enough4-9-studios will become famous soon enough

San Diego Comic Con vs. Wizard World Chicago

I was wondering if someone that Exhibited at San Diego Comic Con 2006 and Wizard World Chicago 2006 could tell me how they compared to each other. Now I live in San Diego and I know that we have the biggest freakin' Con ever, but how they did exhibit wise from the two. I'd really like to go to Chicago next year, but want some input first. Thanks!

Phour Nyne
Phour Nyne 'n' Space
Phour Nyne 4 U
Lets Make a Comic Book
Questions, Comments, Love Letters here!
Yahoo IM four_nine_studios
MSN IM phour9guy
AOL IM phour9guy

Contact My Inker Enrique Robledo
4-9-studios is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 08-08-2006, 03:18 PM   #2
Craig DeBoard

I didn't go to Chicago, but I have a friend who did.

He said the crowd was light all weekend and that sales were down for everyone. And he usually does pretty well at cons.

He also said somehow CBLDF got screwed over by Wizard at the con but didn't go into detail.
Old 08-08-2006, 03:53 PM   #3
JasonM
Inmate of the Asylum!

JasonM is a jewel in the roughJasonM is a jewel in the roughJasonM is a jewel in the roughJasonM is a jewel in the rough

I didn't have a table exactly, but from my perspective it seemed like attendance was up! I guess it depends where you were. Have they announced final numbers yet?

Join the Ellium mailing list!
The_Ellium-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
JasonM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 04:03 PM   #4
ryarger

ryarger will become famous soon enoughryarger will become famous soon enough

I haven't sold at San Diego yet (next year!) but I did about the same amount of business in Chicago this year as I did at the Motor City Con in Detroit this May. Given that the attendance at Chicago is *much* greater than Motor City, this was a bit of surprise.

Lots of people walking by, few people buying.

I finally resorted to a sign that read "Stop! Read this book or God will kill a kitten" with the necessary drawing of a kitten in peril. That got lots of smiles, but people just didn't want to stop this year... darned economy!
ryarger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 04:16 PM   #5
kdmelrose
Pope of Appalachia

kdmelrose has much to be proud ofkdmelrose has much to be proud ofkdmelrose has much to be proud ofkdmelrose has much to be proud ofkdmelrose has much to be proud ofkdmelrose has much to be proud ofkdmelrose has much to be proud ofkdmelrose has much to be proud ofkdmelrose has much to be proud ofkdmelrose has much to be proud ofkdmelrose has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonM
I didn't have a table exactly, but from my perspective it seemed like attendance was up! I guess it depends where you were. Have they announced final numbers yet?
According to Wizard World, attendance was up, if only slightly: more than 58,000, up from 56,000 last year.
Old 08-08-2006, 04:19 PM   #6
JasonM
Inmate of the Asylum!

JasonM is a jewel in the roughJasonM is a jewel in the roughJasonM is a jewel in the roughJasonM is a jewel in the rough

Ok, so it wasn't my imagination.

As for purchases, remember, artist alley is an after thought at best. You have to navigate retailers and publishers before you can even see artist alley, good luck if anyone has money by then!

They don't even have the media guests by artist alley.

Oh, and lets not forget that a table in artist alley is now up to $300! It's only a matter of time before they kill AA all together.

Old 08-08-2006, 04:31 PM   #7
Cat
Evil Ginger Child

Cat is a splendid one to beholdCat is a splendid one to beholdCat is a splendid one to beholdCat is a splendid one to beholdCat is a splendid one to beholdCat is a splendid one to beholdCat is a splendid one to beholdCat is a splendid one to beholdCat is a splendid one to beholdCat is a splendid one to beholdCat is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdmelrose
According to Wizard World, attendance was up, if only slightly: more than 58,000, up from 56,000 last year.
On Saturday at Comic Con..it was 125,000 and they turned away 15,000

I did both last year..and Comic Con BLEW Chicago away..but I have no Idea about this year...I skipped chicago this year..too close to SD

Quote:
Oh, and lets not forget that a table in artist alley is now up to $300! It's only a matter of time before they kill AA all together.
$300?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? !?!?!?!?

Are they HIGH!!!! HOLY MOLEY!! I hope it is just the bigger show..cuz Texas is not worth $300 a table.

AirbrushCat.com
Comic Art Fans Gallery
Deviant Art

Last edited by Cat; 08-08-2006 at 04:34 PM.
Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 04:33 PM   #8
kdmelrose
Pope of Appalachia

kdmelrose has much to be proud ofkdmelrose has much to be proud ofkdmelrose has much to be proud ofkdmelrose has much to be proud ofkdmelrose has much to be proud ofkdmelrose has much to be proud ofkdmelrose has much to be proud ofkdmelrose has much to be proud ofkdmelrose has much to be proud ofkdmelrose has much to be proud ofkdmelrose has much to be proud of

Yeah, I saw Chicago described this week (at The Beat, maybe?) as a nice regional convention. It's nowhere close to the national pop-culture event that Comic-Con is. You just can't compare the two.
Old 08-08-2006, 04:42 PM   #9
kdmelrose
Pope of Appalachia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat
On Saturday at Comic Con..it was 125,000 and they turned away 15,000 ...
The 100,000 to 125,000 and beyond figure for Comic-Con is over the entire convention.
Old 08-08-2006, 04:46 PM   #10
JasonM
Inmate of the Asylum!

Yep, $300. It's fair if they had ANYTHING to make people go to that end of the con, but they don't. Traffic just has a hard time flowing there and from everything I've heard, they know it and don't care. It's all business after all.

BUT, it's unfair to compare comic con to wizard, chicago may be huge, but it's not the nations center for entertainment like LA is. After all, if you want a movie deal it's gonna happen there, not chicago!

Old 08-08-2006, 04:48 PM   #11
kdmelrose
Pope of Appalachia

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonM
BUT, it's unfair to compare comic con to wizard, chicago may be huge, but it's not the nations center for entertainment like LA is. After all, if you want a movie deal it's gonna happen there, not chicago!
Comic-Con is in San Diego. Wizard World has a convention in Los Angeles, but it's still not the event that Comic-Con is.

(EDITED TO ADD: This year, Wizard World LA had a three-day attendance of 27,000.)

Last edited by kdmelrose; 08-08-2006 at 04:52 PM.
kdmelrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 04:53 PM   #12
JasonM
Inmate of the Asylum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdmelrose
Comic-Con is in San Diego. Wizard World has a convention in Los Angeles, but it's still not the event that Comic-Con is.

(EDITED TO ADD: This year, Wizard World LA had a three-day attendance of 27,000.)
To the first part, you know what I meant

To the second part, never gone so I couldn't say what they're doing wrong.

Old 08-08-2006, 05:07 PM   #13
Craig DeBoard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig DeBoard
I didn't go to Chicago, but I have a friend who did.

He said the crowd was light all weekend and that sales were down for everyone. And he usually does pretty well at cons.

He also said somehow CBLDF got screwed over by Wizard at the con but didn't go into detail.

This is from my friend's blog about WW Chicago this year.
Quote:
Wizard Magazine is the most popular magazine about comic books on the market. It is supposed to discuss what is hot in the comic book market and report on upcoming creators, as well as comic-related merchandise like toys and films.

But don't let the glitz of the magazine fool you. It's as in-depth as an ashtray and has become the MTV of comics. It tells readers what is cool. It doesn't report on all the great things sequential art and comic books have to offer you.

Futhermore, Wizard actually hates comics.

I just worked Wizard World Chicago. It's the biggest comic book convention in the Midwest. The guest list wasn't great this year (although I finally got to meet Keith Giffen!), and fan attendance was down all three days. Many of the people I talked with in Artists' Alley (the best thing about the whole show) were having bad sales. Some thought it was because the massive San Diego show (the biggest in the nation) was just two weeks prior. Gasoline was around $3.23 a gallon in the Chicago suburbs, so that didn't help either.

But let's get back to revealing why Wizard Entertainment hates comics.

First, they put indie comic book creators (and many well-known comic book creators, i.e. Phil Hester, Bill Sienkiewicz) in the worst places on the floor. Artists' Alley is always at the far back of the show. Many ticket holders never make it back to the alley because they come only for the vendors. Some who make it to the alley have already spent all their money on the vendors. The small press booths were wedged into an opposite far corner of the show. Why not put the small press and indie folks together?

Also, why not flip-flop the placement of Artists' Alley and the vendors? Everyone knows, even the vendors, that the vendors will make their money. People come to that show to buy comics and toys. If the vendors were put at the far end of the floor, fans would have to walk through the Small Press/Artists' Alley tables and booths in order to get to the vendors. People would have to look at us and our wares. Fans would then have to walk back through us to get out of the show, giving them another opportunity to check out indie comics.

Why don't they do this? Because Wizard hates comics. As long as they get their $300 per Artists' Alley table (or $850 per Small Press Booth), they have no reason to care if indie creators are making money or not.

If you want more proof that Wizard hates comics, talk to the Comic Book Legal Defense Fund. I was stunned to see in the show program that there was no CBLDF benefit auction this year. There was a sketch duel raffle at 11:00am Saturday morning, but that was it. When I first started attending the show years ago, the CBLDF auction was a major after-show event Friday or Saturday night at the convention hotel. It lasted two or three hours and generated a lot of money for the CBLDF.

I went to the CBLDF booth Friday morning and asked about the auction. They said there was none. I asked why not and was told, "Wizard said they couldn't accomodate us."

Wizard could not get one room in the massive Hyatt hotel for a couple hours on Friday or Saturday night? Wizard could not cancel yet another showing of a damn anime film so the CBLDF could have an auction to raise money to PROTECT COMIC CREATORS?

The CBLDF representatives then told me that Wizard wanted to hold the sketch duel at 11:00am Sunday morning - one of the worst times to hold the event. As I was told by one of their reps, "No one would be there. Hardly any of the pros would be here, and most who were would be hung over. And most of the fans would be hung over too, so no one would show up. We told them to put it on Saturday, and they did."

So, Wizard - "the comics magazine" - doesn't like to accomodate the organization that protects creators and vendors of comics.

All that being said, many thanks to everyone who stopped by the Pickle Press table to chat with me and Bill Wilkison. I hope everyone enjoyed our stuff. It was great to see lots of old friends and make new ones.

The next stop on the Pickle Press 2006 convention tour is the Phoenix Cactus Con. Come to Mesa, Arizona September 23-24th. I'll also be doing a signing in Mesa on September 22nd. More details to follow.

Last edited by Ron Phillips; 08-08-2006 at 07:09 PM. Reason: It's hard to read when it's all in BOLD.
Old 08-08-2006, 05:17 PM   #14
JasonM
Inmate of the Asylum!

1) attendance was up, so perception plays a big role.

2) The only way things will change is if no one gets a table for a year and Wizard looses a lot of money. Then maybe they would accomodate AA a bit more, but until then it makes no sense to just complain - it'll solve nothing so long as they make money.

Wizard doesn't hate or love comics... they do love money though.

Old 08-08-2006, 05:30 PM   #15
SDulaney
Pythonist (reform)

SDulaney is a glorious beacon of lightSDulaney is a glorious beacon of lightSDulaney is a glorious beacon of lightSDulaney is a glorious beacon of lightSDulaney is a glorious beacon of lightSDulaney is a glorious beacon of lightSDulaney is a glorious beacon of light

I only did Saturday and Sunday camping out at kirby and Sarge's table but this show had an odd vibe I couldn't put my finger on. Last year was "Con of the Living Dead." This was the year of...it's hard to say. The people who did both shows seemed fresher this year dispite less time between shows. (Maybe less time to dread two cons back to back was a factor this time.)

No offense to Brent and any other Wizard staffers who might be on the board, but if the numbers were up over last year, I'd like you to meet my new bride Nikki Cox. In other words, I have to call Bullsh!t. Wizard already inflates the attendance (or did in the past) by counting a 3-Day ticket as three attendees. Do they count as four now that there's a preview night? I was doing a bit of running around the floor Saturday and the only time I had trouble getting around was if somebody in a costume stopped to be photographed. The floor layout pretty much betrayed the fact a number of the folks who used to set up at both finally said screw it, opted for a smaller than usual set up or had gone out of business. I almost missed the Devil's Due booth as I walked the floor.

As for business, it was hit and miss. Guys who thought business in AA was fantastic usually were very close to the "star area" with more "name" creators, Chicago regulars with a following and "A-level" Image/DC/Marvel credits. The closer you got to what Dash Martin refered to as the "tumor section" of Artist Alley, the more you got into the unknowns, wannabes and not quite "name" players. In that area business varied table to table with people have developed decent followings over the years doing better.

I mentioned to somebody it was a shame Wizard got greedy. Granted, maybe I'm jaded now that I've seen the promised land along the Embarcadaro, but as Gareb added shows, Chicago seemed to take hit. "Why go to Chicago when I can do the Wizard con in Dallas/LA/Boston/Philly?" They pulled the plug on Boston after one year after it didn't draw like Philly. If there's a similar HeroesCon revolt next year with pros opting to go to Charlotte rather than Philly the same weekend, Wizard World East may not be long for the world.

Plus the Wizard shows are so interchangable, Chicago isn't as special as it used to be. (Philly Special Guest: Kevin Smith with Alex Ross, Michael Turner and Jeph Loeb. Chicago Special Guest: Alex Ross with Kevin Smith, Jeph Loeb and Michael Turner. LA Special Guest: Jeph Loeb with Michael Turner, Alex Ross and Kevin Smith.) The first couple of times I went to Chicago, it was a big deal and they were getting to where they could challenge San Diego in importance if not attendance. By trying to mass produce the Chicago Con, they took the next San Diego Con and turned it into the Motor City Con.

EDIT: Seems like next year may take a hit too. http://www.publishersweekly.com/article/CA6360370.html

Last edited by SDulaney; 08-08-2006 at 05:37 PM. Reason: Edited to add link to PW article.
SDulaney is offline   Reply With Quote