Go Back   Digital Webbing Forums > Talent Engine > Creator Community

Old 08-08-2006, 11:03 AM   #1
Apotheases

Apotheases is on a distinguished road

WizardWorld 2006

Well, I have to say that this year's Wizard World was probably the most educational conventions I had gone to. I started going to the Wizard World back in '96 when Wizard brought it from the Chicago Comic Con. I'd always been a fan of comic books.superheroes, sci-fi from growing up. My father is a huge collector and he has passed that trait onto my brothers and sister. I even attended College to get my degree in Sequential art! So after working my butt off all summer long on creating a brand spanking new portfolio. I flew up to Chicago from Savannah to met my fate.
First of all, I felt that this con was a bit quieter then previous years. Not saying that there wasn't as many people in attendance. It was quite packed this year. But quieter in as there weren't as many studios on display. Gone were dreamwave comics/crossgen/ and even image comics wasn't in attendance. Feel free to correct me on that. But I don't remember seeing them there.
I also felt that the Wizard World was a lot friendlier this year. Gone were the bootleggers and adult stars that seem to fill up the back of artist alley. Prehaps Wizard wanted to make this a more family friendly show. Personally I think that this was a good idea on their part as there were a lot of younger kids in attendance. Its a good way to help rebuild the fanbase. I also felt that the adult stars in the back kinda cheapened the show and were rather nasty.
They also distract from the real talent that is back there. You really can't take a good look at an artist when there is a half naked woman flirty with you right next door.
I ran into several artists that I tend to see year after year. Francesco! and David Mack being two amoung them. Both are great guys and remember me year after year. So that is always a plus. They gave me their words of advice and I look forward to seeing them again next year when i plan to go as a working artist.
I would love to hear some of the experiences other had at the Wizard world. Did you feel that the panels were up to stuff? I felt there wasn't as many this year.

Old 08-08-2006, 01:01 PM   #2
JasonM
Inmate of the Asylum!

JasonM is a jewel in the roughJasonM is a jewel in the roughJasonM is a jewel in the roughJasonM is a jewel in the rough

I only attended a few panels, one got canceled unfortunately, the others were cool though.

Speaking of cool panels, congrats to Silent Devil, your web translation of Drac Vs. Arthur looks cool!

I didn't have a table which was different for me since usually I have a one and can't enjoy the con. As a special bonus, I was given a table and rather then not use it at all I set up an "Honesty box" and found out that not only are WWChicago people honest, but my books can sell them selves (which brought a big ass grin to my face!). So I had a blast though I didn't see nearly as many people as I wanted too.

Also I've been informed I MUST get a cell phone... ugh...

Join the Ellium mailing list!
The_Ellium-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
JasonM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 01:10 PM   #3
Fresco
Fresco Studio Boss

Fresco is just really niceFresco is just really niceFresco is just really niceFresco is just really niceFresco is just really niceFresco is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apotheases
even image comics wasn't in attendance. Feel free to correct me on that. But I don't remember seeing them there.

I ran into several artists that I tend to see year after year. Francesco! and David Mack being two amoung them. Both are great guys and remember me year after year. So that is always a plus. They gave me their words of advice and I look forward to seeing them again next year when i plan to go as a working artist.
That's the spirit... looking forward to the day we get to see you on the other side of the table at Wizard World.

Thanks for the kind words... and you are correct-- Image was not set up there as a publisher this year. Was nice to see a lot of Image creators set up in Artist Alley. I agree... the show did seem friendlier for the reasons you mentioned... I loved it lots.

See you next year!

MySpace ... deviantART
Fresco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 01:57 PM   #4
arteric
Illustrator/Cartoonist

arteric is on a distinguished road

Excellent Photo

Methinks your photography skills rivial your artistic ability!

Chicago was FAN-Frikkin-TASTIC! Of course I had the best weekend possible. I will post soon when I get my photobucket put together....

Thanks to everyone who made it awesome, and thanks to Fresco for simply being "THE MAN"

Long live Das Booth,

Eric
arteric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 02:26 PM   #5
Phatman
Midi-chlorians are a lie!

Phatman has much to be proud ofPhatman has much to be proud ofPhatman has much to be proud ofPhatman has much to be proud ofPhatman has much to be proud ofPhatman has much to be proud ofPhatman has much to be proud ofPhatman has much to be proud ofPhatman has much to be proud ofPhatman has much to be proud ofPhatman has much to be proud of

Wizard World Chicago '06 was the first con I ever spent behind the table and it was really a blast. I was only there for Friday and Saturday, but I got a lot of positive feedback on my work from fans, creators and other publishers. I sold a ton of posters and the small press company I've been working for did very well. They had tables in artist alley and the small press area, so I got a taste of both. It was incredibly strange to sit in front of people and draw, but it sure was fun-especially when kids came by. I got some really good contacts from the con and have enough projects in the works to keep me busy until next summer. It would have been nice to get a feeler from one of the big companies, but I know I have to crank out a lot more pages before I'm at that level-maybe by next year.
Phatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 02:27 PM   #6
crozonia

crozonia will become famous soon enough

I didn't get to enjoy last year's Chicago Wizard World because I was busy selling at the artist alley. This year, I was busy selling again, but was able to go talk to the editors, and hobnob with the IFL fighters! What a thrill! I got to talk with Pat Miletich, Carlos Newton, Maurice Smith, and Renzo Gracie! What cool guys! I gave them some of my books, and now some of them want my artwork!

Thomas Jane also came to my table asking printing questions. I totally didn't recognize him untill I saw pictures of him last night! I also met some very cool comic creators that I grew up idolizing, and then some not so cool ones....

Great trip! I hope IFL is back next year.
Crozonia is on sale NOW!
www.beach-studios.com
http://www.crozoniacomic.blogspot.com
My work on Matchbox 2006
crozonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 03:27 PM   #7
albone
Jabbroni

albone is just really nicealbone is just really nicealbone is just really nicealbone is just really nicealbone is just really nicealbone is just really nice

Jim was always busy with Crozonia, which is why I didn't get to say HEY (always somene at his table), but I hope to up at the Fan Expo. Franchesco was always steady busy too, before the con, during and after. :P

Anyone see the Powergirl model in AA? Woot.

I was steady hustling, and it paid off in the best sales I've ever done. Workshed baby!
Old 08-08-2006, 04:09 PM   #8
crozonia

Hey I know you! You ordered some of my books online! Thanks! Yes, please swing buy at Fan Expo. I hope to be just as busy..... What table were you at?

The Powergirl is Liana K from Ed The Sock's Night Party a late night show in Canada as well as some obscure stations in the US.

Quote:
Originally Posted by albone
Jim was always busy with Crozonia, which is why I didn't get to say HEY (always somene at his table), but I hope to up at the Fan Expo. Franchesco was always steady busy too, before the con, during and after. :P

Anyone see the Powergirl model in AA? Woot.

I was steady hustling, and it paid off in the best sales I've ever done. Workshed baby!
Crozonia is on sale NOW!
www.beach-studios.com
My work on Matchbox 2006
Old 08-08-2006, 09:30 PM   #9
Scott Story
www.johnnysaturn.com

Scott Story has disabled reputation

Power Girl was hot, no doubt about it. Hope someone took pictures.

It was cool meeting a lot of you, too.
Scott Story is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 10:21 PM   #10
crozonia

The Best part about Chicago WW

http://www.comicbookresources.com/ne...sa/DrMcCoy.jpg
Crozonia is on sale NOW!
www.beach-studios.com
My work on Matchbox 2006
Old 08-09-2006, 04:14 AM   #11
Fresco
Fresco Studio Boss

Fresco is just really niceFresco is just really niceFresco is just really niceFresco is just really niceFresco is just really niceFresco is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by arteric
Long live Das Booth
DAS BOOTH!!!!!

Great seeing you over the weekend Eric!
Looking forward to seeing what you do next buddy!!!

MySpace ... deviantART
Fresco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 10:58 AM   #12
crozonia

I have a photo parade up:
http://crozoniacomic.blogspot.com/

Lots of IFL goodnes:

Crozonia is on sale NOW!
www.beach-studios.com
My work on Matchbox 2006
Old 08-11-2006, 01:40 PM   #13
Len Kody
comics writer/producer

Len Kody will become famous soon enough

Check out the mind blowing, multimedia presentation of MY wizard world chicago.

It's up on my BLOG at my website. Basically, it's the Chicago convention from my point of view.

It features Pics! Audio! and my elegant Text! to guide you through the wonderful weekend's events.

Lots of appearances by some of my fellow comics creators!