Go Back   Digital Webbing Forums > Talent Engine > Creator Community

Old 08-08-2006, 04:35 PM   #1
shushubag

shushubag will become famous soon enough

how do you guys fix your mistakes?

Just thought it'd be cool to see how everyone else fixes their mistakes.

I really hate erasing so I try to draw lightly and darken with inks, but when I screw up I have a bunch of different ways I fis it up. If it's small I'll use the whiteout strips, a white marker, or white ink, but it's too far gone I'll just cut another piece of bristol and glue it right over the mistake, but I'll cut out the entire panel and it'll go over so that it looks like the same page when it's scanned in.
shushubag is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 08-08-2006, 07:53 PM   #2
Lynn Lefey
Loki's plaything

Lynn Lefey is on a distinguished road

As a colorist, I have developed the intricate method of fixing my mistake by clicking Edit-> Step Backward in Photoshop. Or sometimes I get wild and use the ALT+CTRL+Z hotkey for it.

I LOVE digital coloring.

When drawing, I use a hard lead (2h) for my initial sketches usually, or just draw lightly. I rarely erase, as it seems to change the way the paper accepts lead (graphite, or whatever the hell 'leads' are made from these days).
Lynn Lefey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 08:42 PM   #3
MatthewMonster
Ninja....and Superspy !

MatthewMonster has a spectacular aura aboutMatthewMonster has a spectacular aura aboutMatthewMonster has a spectacular aura about

Get it in Photoshop, Almost anything can be fixed there.

I just draw on better teh average printer that can hold ink ( its light enough to see through ) and I do a fix, then in Photoshop i just paste it in.

Comicspace/matthewmonster
...I know you want another ComicSpace freind.

After School Knife Fight
Punk Rock Monster Fighting Maddness !!!
MatthewMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 08:51 PM   #4
Lovecraft13
Mac the Knife

Lovecraft13 is a splendid one to beholdLovecraft13 is a splendid one to beholdLovecraft13 is a splendid one to beholdLovecraft13 is a splendid one to beholdLovecraft13 is a splendid one to beholdLovecraft13 is a splendid one to beholdLovecraft13 is a splendid one to beholdLovecraft13 is a splendid one to beholdLovecraft13 is a splendid one to beholdLovecraft13 is a splendid one to beholdLovecraft13 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by shushubag
Just thought it'd be cool to see how everyone else fixes their mistakes.
Old 08-09-2006, 01:48 AM   #5
Imboden
Writer and Hero for Hire

Imboden is a splendid one to beholdImboden is a splendid one to beholdImboden is a splendid one to beholdImboden is a splendid one to beholdImboden is a splendid one to beholdImboden is a splendid one to beholdImboden is a splendid one to beholdImboden is a splendid one to beholdImboden is a splendid one to beholdImboden is a splendid one to beholdImboden is a splendid one to behold

Usually either the [DEL] or [BACKSPACE] key.

Sometimes I'll hold down the [SHIFT] key and use the arrows to highlight a section of text and then use [CTRL] + [C] to copy the section and then [CTRL] + [V] to paste it. The alternative to that is after highlighting to use [SHIFT] + [DEL] to cut it and then [SHIFT] + [INSERT] to paste it back in.

If I really screwed the pooch, I'll highlight using the above mentioned method and then simply hit [DEL] to remove the whole shebang.
Warmageddon Whipping Boy
WWFoJD?
Imboden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 02:20 AM   #6
Nick Pitarra
Illustrator Extraordinair

Nick Pitarra is a glorious beacon of lightNick Pitarra is a glorious beacon of lightNick Pitarra is a glorious beacon of lightNick Pitarra is a glorious beacon of lightNick Pitarra is a glorious beacon of lightNick Pitarra is a glorious beacon of lightNick Pitarra is a glorious beacon of light

What about white-out, i literally use white out brand white-out on my inked illustrations(its the only thing that actually covers up the blacks). i'm not sure if its archival safe or not, but I've been doing it for awhile and I've been wondering if any of you guys use something more "professional",that actually does the job.
Nick Pitarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 02:35 AM   #7
Scaleyinx
Chicken Whisperer

Scaleyinx has much to be proud ofScaleyinx has much to be proud ofScaleyinx has much to be proud ofScaleyinx has much to be proud ofScaleyinx has much to be proud ofScaleyinx has much to be proud ofScaleyinx has much to be proud ofScaleyinx has much to be proud ofScaleyinx has much to be proud ofScaleyinx has much to be proud ofScaleyinx has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovecraft13

You said "I do", to your sister ,... and then asked your dad to fix your mistake?

Wow, your life seriously echo's a Jerry Springer episode.
Scaleyinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 01:47 PM   #8
theflash
Cary Kelley

theflash is a splendid one to beholdtheflash is a splendid one to beholdtheflash is a splendid one to beholdtheflash is a splendid one to beholdtheflash is a splendid one to beholdtheflash is a splendid one to beholdtheflash is a splendid one to beholdtheflash is a splendid one to beholdtheflash is a splendid one to beholdtheflash is a splendid one to beholdtheflash is a splendid one to behold

photoshop. i love some photoshop!

The Dynagirl Webcomic is FREE!
Red Handed Studios! l Blog
theflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 04:15 PM   #9
macclint
Old man Jedi

macclint is on a distinguished road

You might try this....

http://www.artsupply.com/alvin/prowhite.htm
macclint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 12:40 AM   #10
TAP_LEGION

It all depends on the type of board your using. I use to use Holbein Acryla gouache(titanium white) to fix inking goofs but have recently switched to using good 'ol gesso and a nice piece of superfine sandpaper and smooth it out after.

I actually found an old brush/ink piece from 1992 last Fall , gessoed out the figures in the center and redrew the now "cleaned up " area with something completely new and different (and , in my opinon , better).

The only thing you need to remember is to let the gesso dry completely or it'll just come right up when the sanding starts.
Old 08-11-2006, 01:46 AM   #11
Calloway
I haz cookiez an kool-aid

Calloway has much to be proud ofCalloway has much to be proud ofCalloway has much to be proud ofCalloway has much to be proud ofCalloway has much to be proud ofCalloway has much to be proud ofCalloway has much to be proud ofCalloway has much to be proud ofCalloway has much to be proud ofCalloway has much to be proud ofCalloway has much to be proud of

Since I've gone all digital....undo works wonders!
Calloway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 01:44 AM   #12
Gwlister
Artist, Cynic, Wiseguy

Gwlister will become famous soon enough

Command + Z and saving multiple versions if its digital, Windsor/Newton permanent white gouache for inks.

LISTERART.COM
Gwlister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 07:09 AM   #13
shushubag

shushubag will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAP_LEGION
It all depends on the type of board your using. I use to use Holbein Acryla gouache(titanium white) to fix inking goofs but have recently switched to using good 'ol gesso and a nice piece of superfine sandpaper and smooth it out after.

I actually found an old brush/ink piece from 1992 last Fall , gessoed out the figures in the center and redrew the now "cleaned up " area with something completely new and different (and , in my opinon , better).

The only thing you need to remember is to let the gesso dry completely or it'll just come right up when the sanding starts.
OK I'm curious, what is gesso?

I wish I could use photoshop to fix my mistakes. I realize colorists and letterers got it easy. But me- I'm old fashioned, I don't scan it in till it's as perfect as I can get it. Of course all I do is pencil and ink so fixing mistakes- I mean major mistakes is a pain in the ass but a must. Wish I could hit delete and my pencils or inks would come off.
shushubag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 09:49 PM   #14
JSettnek
Goot's Goon

JSettnek is on a distinguished road

Erasers are for suckers.
I make no mistakes. An artist puts a line precisely where he means to...

But it doesn't hurt if you have some pro-white, white mailing labels and an
X-acto with number 11 blade on hand... If you are the "ink on bristol" sort...
Old 08-17-2006, 10:31 PM   #15
JAQ
Jason A. Quest

JAQ is a splendid one to beholdJAQ is a splendid one to beholdJAQ is a splendid one to beholdJAQ is a splendid one to beholdJAQ is a splendid one to beholdJAQ is a splendid one to beholdJAQ is a splendid one to beholdJAQ is a splendid one to beholdJAQ is a splendid one to beholdJAQ is a splendid one to beholdJAQ is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by shushubag
OK I'm curious, what is gesso?
Gesso is the opaque white stuff that oil painters use to prime their canvas or board before painting on it.