Go Back   Digital Webbing Forums > Talent Engine > Creator Community

Old 08-09-2006, 05:12 PM   #1
Scott Story
www.johnnysaturn.com

Scott Story has disabled reputation

Con Sketchbooks

Hey, AllóIím just curious, does anyone else here collect artist sketchbooks? Iíve been picking these up at cons (mostly Chicago) for about three years now, and theyíre great. If Iíd had more money, Iíd have bought more! Some people commission original art, but I could never justify that expense, but the sketchbooks make a cool alternative.

At this point, at least in terms of names you might have heard of, Iíve gotten sketchbooks by:

Adam Hughes
Dash Martin
Eric Powell
Franchesco
Greg Horn
Joseph Michael Linsner
Mike Norton
Rob Liefeld
Steve Bryant
Takeshi Miyazawa

For some of these guys, like Eric Powell or Linsner, Iíve gotten new sketchbooks every year for a while now.

Anyone else into this?
Scott Story is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 08-09-2006, 06:26 PM   #2
daweir
The Untold

daweir is on a distinguished road

Honestly, I'm more of the commission take.

I budget myself out enough to get anywhere between 3-5 commissions each con. It's expensive, but I really like it. And I usually scan the work and email it to the artist so they can show it off, or sometimes even make prints to help get more $$. Sometimes I just pay for a commission, then tell them to draw whatever they feel like.

Oh, and I Get 2 sketches of Blink at every con.

I've never been into the sketchbook thing. I got Linsner's a couple years back. I picked up Khery's this year. Other than that, I'd rather pay -more- money to get something really nifty and new.
daweir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 07:05 PM   #3
Darkhelmet
Writer

Darkhelmet is on a distinguished road

Out of curiosity, how much do commissions usually go for (range)?
Darkhelmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 07:08 PM   #4
Cat
Evil Ginger Child

Cat is a splendid one to beholdCat is a splendid one to beholdCat is a splendid one to beholdCat is a splendid one to beholdCat is a splendid one to beholdCat is a splendid one to beholdCat is a splendid one to beholdCat is a splendid one to beholdCat is a splendid one to beholdCat is a splendid one to beholdCat is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Story
At this point, at least in terms of names you might have heard of, Iíve gotten sketchbooks by:

Adam Hughes
Dash Martin
Eric Powell
Franchesco
Greg Horn
Joseph Michael Linsner
Mike Norton

I collect them....hmm..you seem to be missing someone.....you don;t have mine!!!!

AirbrushCat.com
Comic Art Fans Gallery
Deviant Art
Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 07:18 PM   #5
hardinart
the art monkey

hardinart is a name known to allhardinart is a name known to allhardinart is a name known to allhardinart is a name known to allhardinart is a name known to allhardinart is a name known to allhardinart is a name known to allhardinart is a name known to allhardinart is a name known to allhardinart is a name known to all

I got one of Cat's!!! Its got Anthony Micheal Hall on the cover.
hardinart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 08:54 PM   #6
Scott Story
www.johnnysaturn.com

Actually, Cat, I know we've been at some of the same shows, but I've never met you--my bad!
Old 08-09-2006, 09:26 PM   #7
daweir
The Untold

daweir is on a distinguished road

Most commissions I get are in the $20 range. Occasionally I am willing to pay more, depending on who the artist is and what the commission is.
daweir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 10:46 AM   #8
danedawg99
the Dawg-father

danedawg99 will become famous soon enoughdanedawg99 will become famous soon enough

I just started getting them, since SDCC was my first con, but I got:

Tom Hodges
Brandon Peterson
Frank Cho
Rob Hand
danedawg99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 10:48 AM   #9
Cat
Evil Ginger Child

Cat is a splendid one to beholdCat is a splendid one to beholdCat is a splendid one to beholdCat is a splendid one to beholdCat is a splendid one to beholdCat is a splendid one to beholdCat is a splendid one to beholdCat is a splendid one to beholdCat is a splendid one to beholdCat is a splendid one to beholdCat is a splendid one to behold

man... You saw Tom and didn't swing around the row and say hello! For shame Doc.

AirbrushCat.com
Comic Art Fans Gallery
Deviant Art
Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 10:49 AM   #10
Scott Story
www.johnnysaturn.com

Coolness. I wouldn't mind getting the Cho and Peterson ones myself.

These things are more fun than collecting comics, to me.
Old 08-11-2006, 01:07 PM   #11
jimmycakes
Jason May: Robot Man

jimmycakes is a glorious beacon of lightjimmycakes is a glorious beacon of lightjimmycakes is a glorious beacon of lightjimmycakes is a glorious beacon of lightjimmycakes is a glorious beacon of lightjimmycakes is a glorious beacon of lightjimmycakes is a glorious beacon of light

I snagged Eric Powell's new one at San Diego. It's all I have. There were a few I should have snagged in Philly, but didnt' have the cash. I don't usually get to buy anything at shows, but I'm going to make it a point to grab one sketchbook per show now, just to see what everyone's doing. I'll be making one for myself to sell at NYC. Dunno if it'll sell, but really enjoy the concept of them.

I AM a Wii pimp and I can't help it...
jimmycakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 01:10 PM   #12
danedawg99
the Dawg-father

danedawg99 will become famous soon enoughdanedawg99 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat
man... You saw Tom and didn't swing around the row and say hello! For shame Doc.
i found your table once, but you were at the softball game. I couldn't find it again!
danedawg99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 01:19 PM   #13
Scott Story
www.johnnysaturn.com

I made one for myself this year, and I sold a dozen at five bucks a pop. Many people did sell theres at five, but most people sold theirs at ten, and some people at fifteen each.

I could have bought a hundred dollars worth of these, because there were that many good artists in Chicago, but I had to restrain myself. Still, I enjoy the ones I got, because there is a lot of raw, creative energy in them, and they are inspirational to me.
Old 08-11-2006, 02:03 PM   #14
Phatman
Midi-chlorians are a lie!

Phatman has much to be proud ofPhatman has much to be proud ofPhatman has much to be proud ofPhatman has much to be proud ofPhatman has much to be proud ofPhatman has much to be proud ofPhatman has much to be proud ofPhatman has much to be proud ofPhatman has much to be proud ofPhatman has much to be proud ofPhatman has much to be proud of

For Cat, Scott or anybody else selling their sketchbooks:

I'd like to do this for next year's cons and would like more info.

Do you have work of licensed characters and if so, do you have to give some sort of copyright or something?

How many do you usually sell compared to commissions or sketches?

What printer did you go through?

What size do you make them normally?

Anybody's input is helpful.
Thanks.
Phatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 02:46 PM   #15
Scott Story
www.johnnysaturn.com

Do you have work of licensed characters and if so, do you have to give some sort of copyright or something?: Seems everyone uses licensed characters, but I don't. It's just a matter of pride with me, not so much a moral judgment thing. I'm fine with people doing that, but I don't feel comfortable with it.

How many do you usually sell compared to commissions or sketches? I used to do a ton of commissions and sketches, and made decent money doing it, but now that I'm promoting my properties I pretty much stopped. I only took one high-tag commission this time.

What printer did you go through? Good ol' laser printer, baybee! Lots of people go through POD, though, and I might do that next year.

What size do you make them normally?: Last year it was 8.5 x 11, spiral bound, and this year 5.5 x 8.5 ashcan format, saddle-stitched.