Go Back   Digital Webbing Forums > Talent Engine > Creator Community

Old 08-10-2006, 01:47 AM   #1
sgotr

sgotr is on a distinguished road

Platinum Studios?

I was over at their site and I could not tell who would own the copyright(s). It does look like they want to be the rep exclusively. Anyone know?
sgotr is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 08-10-2006, 02:16 AM   #2
D.J. Coffman
Is a Juggernaut

D.J. Coffman is just really niceD.J. Coffman is just really niceD.J. Coffman is just really niceD.J. Coffman is just really niceD.J. Coffman is just really niceD.J. Coffman is just really nice

Well, I think I'll be brought up at some point since I just signed an actual contract with them--- but yes, they pretty much buy the rights. HOWEVER... you aren't left behind in any of that. The main reason they do this that way is so it's easier for them to handle and re-sell to other media if they outright own it. Like Marvel owns Spiderman, DC owns Batman-- etc.

There was a lot of talk that creators get out and out screwed over in those deals, but I can tell you, without telling you specific info involved in my contract, you get paid very well to produce the work, above industry standard prices-- and you get royalties, etc. Also, my name will ALWAYS be associated with the works I bring there.

Seriously-- if you get to work with them, it's awesome. They're probably the nicest bunch of professionals I've ever worked with. Scott Rosenberg is the owner-- and I can't really think of many people who honestly LOVE comics like that guy does.
D.J. Coffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 02:20 AM   #3
Jason Powell
"B.R.U.F."

Jason Powell has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgotr
I was over at their site and I could not tell who would own the copyright(s). It does look like they want to be the rep exclusively. Anyone know?
It is according to what you want to do. They will either buy the rights (where they own everything) or buy the option (where they own the production rights but you keep copyrights/trademarks). If you visit here, http://platinumstudios.com/site/submissions.php, you can learn more. Also e-mail them @ Submissions@PlatinumStudios.com and ask them for their submission package and they will send you pdf copies of all the information to give you a better idea of who/what/when/where. They updated it a bit and it is a lot easier to understand.

-SIN-
JASON

Last edited by Jason Powell; 08-10-2006 at 02:42 AM.
Jason Powell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 02:25 AM   #4
Jason Powell
"B.R.U.F."

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.J. Coffman
Well, I think I'll be brought up at some point since I just signed an actual contract with them--- but yes, they pretty much buy the rights. HOWEVER... you aren't left behind in any of that. The main reason they do this that way is so it's easier for them to handle and re-sell to other media if they outright own it. Like Marvel owns Spiderman, DC owns Batman-- etc.

There was a lot of talk that creators get out and out screwed over in those deals, but I can tell you, without telling you specific info involved in my contract, you get paid very well to produce the work, above industry standard prices-- and you get royalties, etc. Also, my name will ALWAYS be associated with the works I bring there.

Seriously-- if you get to work with them, it's awesome. They're probably the nicest bunch of professionals I've ever worked with. Scott Rosenberg is the owner-- and I can't really think of many people who honestly LOVE comics like that guy does.
I used to be one of the biggest critiques about Platinum Studios (ask anyone) but after years of talking to them and DJ's telling us what he went through has brought me around.

Is the best deal, no, but they are fair and will do what they say so it can not hurt to try.

-SIN-
GATOR
Old 08-10-2006, 02:29 AM   #5
sgotr

Rosenberg - Malibu Comics - Ultraverse
I have some of these comics
Old 08-10-2006, 02:31 AM   #6
sgotr

LOL you did post alot while I wrote two lines.
Thanks for the info Jason
Old 08-10-2006, 02:35 AM   #7
sgotr

They also mention Graphic Novels (if you can say) do you know if they get the next work (different than the first and if accepted) or can you go somewhere else - do they have an option to review the next work, etc
Old 08-10-2006, 02:40 AM   #8
Jason Powell
"B.R.U.F."

Quote:
They also mention Graphic Novels (if you can say) do you know if they get the next work (different than the first and if accepted) or can you go somewhere else - do they have an option to review the next work, etc
If they buy the rights, the book is theirs. If they buy the option, it depends on how long the option is for. Like I said, get the info, fill it out and submit (you do not sign away anything at first - it clearly says so in the agreements you sign so don't worry) and, if they want it, they will contact you and let you know more. From my understanding (and I could be wrong - ask DJ cause I have never sold my rights) they do get them forever though.

-SIN-
JASON
Old 08-10-2006, 02:51 AM   #9
D.J. Coffman
Is a Juggernaut

D.J. Coffman is just really niceD.J. Coffman is just really niceD.J. Coffman is just really niceD.J. Coffman is just really niceD.J. Coffman is just really niceD.J. Coffman is just really nice

Im not exactly sure what my deal says-- but I think there IS some point where, like in 7 years if nothing is done with your property, you can actually get your rights back.

Actually... I gotta tell you guys straight up... I actually think if you signed with them and you were unhappy and they were unhappy, like say your project was going to nowheresville and they didn't do much to help get your name out or your project (because I mean, some ideas end up stinking and going nowhere) -- you could probably easily negotiate with Platinum to have your rights signed back over to you. I don't think they'd fight it--- I mean, unless they had a stake in it becoming successful or helped you get noticed by another publisher or something---- does that make sense?--

But yeah... wow man. You guys know me and how bitter and jaded I've been, from being MAJORILY burnt by people in the comic book world-- I've seen it all and heard it all. And EVERYONE I met from Platinum, even before I knew they were WITH Platinum, were the nicest mothercrunkers I've met. William, the guy in charge of thier new NEW MEDIA office, he's awesome. I can't wait to hang out with these guys in the future.--- that's just on a personal level, which is a REALLY rare thign for me to say.

On a professional and business level--- WOW... there are some MAJOR things coming... VERY VERY soon. I wish I could say more, but SOON. ---
Old 08-10-2006, 02:53 AM   #10
D.J. Coffman
Is a Juggernaut

I rambled there... sorry... My point was simply this--- these guys aren't out to screw you over and steal ideas. Everything is negotiable and they'll work with you if you get in ....

So, go create something that knocks their socks off and they WANT to work with you with! It's possible!
Old 08-10-2006, 03:01 AM   #11
sgotr

ok guys
I'll reword it.
I write a graphic novel called Apple and it is accepted then I write another called Orange which has nothing in common with the grahic novel Apple. Can I sale/publish etc Orange and they keep Apple. The two graphic novels would be like two different novels. Or do they have options on all future works even if they are non-related.
Old 08-10-2006, 03:37 AM   #12
Jason Powell
"B.R.U.F."

Quote:
ok guys
I'll reword it.
I write a graphic novel called Apple and it is accepted then I write another called Orange which has nothing in common with the grahic novel Apple. Can I sale/publish etc Orange and they keep Apple. The two graphic novels would be like two different novels. Or do they have options on all future works even if they are non-related.
Yeah, if you do not sign an exclusive contract with them then you can do anything with your other creations (as long as they are non related). For instance, DJ has Hero by Night at Platinum and his other titles are not (at least I don't think so, DJ may have signed them all over by now - greedy bastard - LOL!).

-SIN-
JASON
Old 08-10-2006, 03:40 AM   #13
sgotr

Thanks Jason
Old 08-10-2006, 04:06 AM   #14
Craig DeBoard

I went to their submissions page, and clicked on their link for guildlines for submitting and just got sent back to the submissions page. They also ask for some paperwork to to go along with your submission but I can't find the link for that. Am i doing something wrong?
Old 08-10-2006, 04:32 AM   #15
Jason Powell
"B.R.U.F."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig DeBoard
I went to their submissions page, and clicked on their link for guildlines for submitting and just got sent back to the submissions page. They also ask for some paperwork to to go along with your submission but I can't find the link for that. Am i doing something wrong?
Craig, e-mail them @ Submissions@PlatinumStudios.com and ask for their submission package with the release form. You should get pdf copies of everything you need plus a guide in 1 or 2 days (or so).

-SIN-
Jason