Go Back   Digital Webbing Forums > Talent Engine > Creator Community

Old 08-10-2006, 02:29 PM   #1
jokerwilde

jokerwilde is on a distinguished road

Question Getting started in comics (or illustration)

Hi there!

I've been a member of this community for over half a year or so. I just had a few general questions about finding work through these 'help wanted' forums. I'd really appreciate it if answers could be provided to me.

What should i know about safety/privacy (protecting my work, etc) when it comes to accepting work opportunities online and through these forums? Is there anything i should be familiar with when it comes to contracts, royalties and such? Are there any other websites similar to this one where art can be posted, and jobs can be found?

Also a quick critique or feedback on any of my art is more than welcomed, i want to be able to get into the field, and soon! I'll post some of my more recent (summer) work on here, and at mokad.deviantart.com (my website is still in the works :P).

If you have any answers or advice, please do reply back here or PM me! THANKS EVERYONE!!!

Sincerely
- dru
jokerwilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 08-10-2006, 03:33 PM   #2
spider
Still has his job, HA!

spider is a splendid one to beholdspider is a splendid one to beholdspider is a splendid one to beholdspider is a splendid one to beholdspider is a splendid one to beholdspider is a splendid one to beholdspider is a splendid one to beholdspider is a splendid one to beholdspider is a splendid one to beholdspider is a splendid one to beholdspider is a splendid one to behold

Okay before I begin, I don't consider myself as veteran as a lot of people who post here, this is just my experience.

1. Make sure you have webspace to host your art (you've set up an account with deviantart which is good).

2. Sign and date all your work and when agreeing to work with someone make sure a contract is signed by both parties.
How do you do that online?
Wordpad has always worked fine for me, just input all the details of the gig and sign your name, then request it be signed and sent back.
Anyone who kicks up a fuss over a contract isn't to be trusted.

3. As far as posting ad's for comic gig's I've not seen many, smallzone.co.uk is good if you want to limit your scope to those in the UK but there isn't a lot of traffic there.
As for posting art there are possibly dozens of art/comics forums that have a sub-forum for that, a quick google search or following the links on DW will solve that.

4. Your art is very good, but I reccommend posting some sequential work and maybe some non-superhero sketches.

Finally, don't put all your trust in one person or one studio cause that is where a lot of people get screwed over, at the end of the day everyone has to look out for number one.

Death Police!
The Boss!
spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 01:49 AM   #3
Calloway
I haz cookiez an kool-aid

Calloway has much to be proud ofCalloway has much to be proud ofCalloway has much to be proud ofCalloway has much to be proud ofCalloway has much to be proud ofCalloway has much to be proud ofCalloway has much to be proud ofCalloway has much to be proud ofCalloway has much to be proud ofCalloway has much to be proud ofCalloway has much to be proud of

Woah, just like that there's spider!
Calloway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 09:40 AM   #4
Smoked Bass
renewed arrival

Smoked Bass is on a distinguished road

You need to do some sequentials. There is no way to get work in sequential art if you do not have never done sequentials.

I'd strongly suggest finding a way to get a couple pages of published work out, say in DWP or something. It establishes your ability to complete a project.

Hooking up with a fellow DWP alum to do a short will increase your knowledge of the publishing side of the industry at least 100%.
Smoked Bass is offline   Reply With Quote